FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Davita's Harp (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Davita's Harp
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers for The Gift of Asher Lev*

One of the things that kinda bothered me about Gift is there was no resolution to the idea that Asher's parents and their community couldn't really give a crap about his daughter..but his son was terribly important. There was, to me, a deal of tension built up around that, but nothing came of it. It seemed kind of brushed aside after a certain point.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been too long, I don't remember the daughter--I'll have to re-read it.

I heard Potok speak years ago, and just did a little Googling; after reading the rest of your thread I think you might find his ideas on "core to core culture" conflict or confrontation interesting if you're not familiar w/ them already. There are several interviews out there.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm aware of it as a theme. It's kind of hard to miss. I've not read his explicit thoughts on it. So thanks, I'll check it out.

It'd be cool if you shared your thoughts on his thoughts on it, but I could see how that would be a larger undetaking that maybe you're looking for.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm in a bumpy mood.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this book! I'm glad you bumped this thread. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.