FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore! (Page 12)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore!
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The creators said in EW that they were hoping to end the show by season five. So I think they do have a plan. Whether it will be personally satifying to me or you, I can't speak to that.

But I AM enjoying the journey. Lost has picked up and is once again kicking bahookie. In my book anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseauthor:
Again, ... the writers don't have a clue as to what they're going to do next and to inject some logical story line, (a plan), into this is illogical.

Just because you don't have a clue as to what they're going to do next doesn't mean the writers don't.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they have admitted as much, Lisa. (no link to prove this)

I think what is more to the point is whether or not a writer needs to know where he/she is going with a story. Many writers are surprised by where the story takes them.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could find the interview I saw on television! Seriously, they are creating the journey as they go. So, it's kinda like life. We don't know where our choices will lead us.

I love watching the show because it's like life.

The writers are great at not contradicting previous events. (Better than most shows.)

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't surprise me. A great deal of shows with a sort of mystery at play within it have essentially muddled to an unsatisfying, tacked on resolution over the years. Kind of like that old Star Trek phenomenan where the first 50 minutes would be set up, and then a five minute scene at the end would resolve it.

I'm not sure they know where it's going, and as another poster said, quite a few writers work the same way, discovering the ending as the writing takes them to it, while others outline and frame every bit of it out. I have a feeling they have some core ideas, but not a clear fundamental set up working. One thing I've been wondering a lot is if it's working on that "Sliders" kind of level, with alternate earths/universes. The whole Hell, heaven, limbo arguments have gotten the kibosh from the writers since it premiered so I have a feeling there is a stronger fundamental idea working with a fantastical twist based on science (although probably ridiculous and obviously illogical interpretations of science). I reach for the whole scientific twist mainly because they are really working on electromagnetism, that somehow the island is missing and can't be found/seen etc, and I am simply wondering if the idea is that two separate earths from separate universes might have somehow been connected? Is it a space/time thing? What is it? Not sure, but I don't think it's a spiritual, heaven/hell angle beyond the island being special. I don't perceive it to be spiritual beyond that.

Rambling with bizarre ideas I know, but the way they are setting things up just makes me wonder if they've got scientists working like "Numbers" has mathematicians, to just throw out bizarre ideas in the field of physics/astrophysics etc. Just throwing that out there.

The whole "we found the plane, you're dead" angle got me thinking along those lines. I just think "somebody faked what happened to you" is plausible but not nearly as interesting as other ideas would be, though I wouldn't put it past Ben and his people to come up with something like that, I don't see how he could, and how it would be feasible either.

Anyway, like the others, I really think it's taken a turn for the better. Obviously the clowns from ABC were utter fools to put it in hiatus, that essentially insured they'd lose a portion of their audience, and a portion of people just starting to buy in after maybe catching up on dvd's, however the second half of season 3 certainly has come through nicely after a mixed bag in season 2 and a horrid start to 3. I read in tv guide that it will start next january and go uninterrupted a la 24. Smart move. I also am skeptical of a wrap up after 5. They'll run into problems like Magnum had, people getting island fever and getting tired of working there, but I think if it builds off of this half season and into next year, ABC will not want to lose it. It all depends on how things go for the next 18 months or so.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
GrayWolf, exactly!

I don't see it going to a finality in season 5. Remember, TV is all about commercial appeal. Advertisers, (money) pay for programming. This is a s successful program. Everyone wins.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
According to this article, Lost has a definitive end point: 2010

Lost to end in 2010

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite surprising that. Money usually changes everything. Will be interesting to see if that holds up.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
This is perfect! I don't like the long wait between seasons but this way they can lay down a 48 episode roadmap that will take us from here to the end.

Plus, well, after 6 years all the people will have aged 6 years instead of the 6 months or so they should age (It's the third season and they've been on the island 3 months) If the show kept going it would start to get ridiculous. (ie: Angel. He's a vampire. He never ages. He played that part 8 years. He aged.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Lost could always do the Battlestar Gallactica trick and skip a year, or 3.

If they don't, I don't see how they can possibly bring Michael and Walt back. Walt's aging will be very noticeable.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fairly comforting knowing when the show will end.

Sun is going to be dying at about the same time the show ends. I wonder how that will play out...

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

How can you possibly know that? The first and second seasons weren't the same length, so what basis can you have for knowing how much island-time will pass by then?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:

Sun is going to be dying at about the same time the show ends. I wonder how that will play out...

Seasons one and two lasted around forty days each. Season three has been around two-three weeks. Who knows how long future seasons will last?
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I can't believe I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow morning to watch Lost this week. I have to go in for a sleep study tonight. Bad timing.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Damien.m:
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:

Seasons one and two lasted around forty days each. Season three has been around two-three weeks. Who knows how long future seasons will last?
I am assuming that every episode represents about a day. So, they don't?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, holy crapinski! Best episode ever for me, so far, and it is only half way through!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Still best episode for me after the whole shebang.
Locke dead? Not.
Whoa.
Just...whoa.

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ben is so dark and twisted.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

Agreed-Locke can't be dead. This is a man who seems to be self healing. He'll live.

I do love the fact that he finally took charge of a situation and beat the pooo out of someone. Cracked us up enough to replay the scene. (Great moments of cheer)

Ben might seem crazy, but there's a compassion that I feel for him. (I tend to like the weird people).

Where's HURLEY!?!?

Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that Ben's mom died during child birth. I think they said she was in her 7th month.

Now Ben is on a mystical island where women who conceive on the island always die of childbirth. I think they said in a previous episode, but I'm not sure what month they said the women die.

My own theory is that Ben is causing the deaths subconsciously. Like the island is taking Ben's pain and focusing it across the island.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Holy cow. I think I've figured out what's going on.

Have any of you ever read the book Michael and the Magic Man, by Kathleen M. Sidney? I read it when it came out, back when I was in high school, and I've read it a number of times since then.

If you've read it, picture Ben as the book's Lawrence (but with a bit of psycho mixed in), and picture Locke as a version of Michael.

Why did Richard give Locke the suggestion about getting Sawyer to help with the killing? Why did Richard and Tom just stand (sit) there while Locke beat the hell out of Mikhail? I'm betting that had Locke not been there, they would have been completely on board with Ben, and had Ben not been there, they would have done anything Locke said.

It's not the same as the book, because other people, such as Juliet, can see Richard and Tom and the rest of them as well. Unless everyone on the island is a construct, and all their flashbacks a figment of the damaged imaginations of Ben Linus and John Locke.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

How about the fact that Richard(I assume that is the dark-haired man?)has not aged?

Or the fact that Ben had issues with his pa, as have most other main characters in the story. (as mentioned above)

Interesting, Lisa. I have not read that book, but it sounds really good.

Now that you mention your book, I am reminded of The Magus, by John Fowles, which gave me a similar "thinking headache."

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ooooh, look at me, I'm a writer for Lost! I'll kill anyone I damn well please!"

Locke had better live.

Could you elaborate on the parallels between Lost and that book for those of us who have not read the book?

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Interesting, Lisa. I have not read that book, but it sounds really good.

You really, really should. It's one of the most underrated, amazing books out there.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I have little doubt that Locke will live. He seems to be the miracle healing man on the island. I'm more interested in what happens when he gets back on his feet.

Did anyone catch the glimpse of Jacob in all the chaos? It looked like Locke with a wig on. If you didn't see it, Lostpedia has an image up, I believe.

EDIT: Link to image

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
"Ooooh, look at me, I'm a writer for Lost! I'll kill anyone I damn well please!"

Locke had better live.

Could you elaborate on the parallels between Lost and that book for those of us who have not read the book?

Um... I really hate to. It's such a great book, and I've already come close to spoiling it.

Then again, it's 27 years out of print, so what are the odds of anyone here actually reading it?

I've posted it in a separate thread with a spoiler warning (link).

[ May 10, 2007, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
They also never showed Locke die.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Lisa, have you read The Magus?

I am going to search for that book.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I haven't. Maybe I'll look for it.
Roseauthor
Member # 148

Most of this story seems to fall victim to books I read 20 years ago. I'm not inflicting or projecting those story lines onto this story.

Again, I'm just enjoying the journey because ... so far, nothing in previous writings has followed through.

I'll stick with my original theory that they're all in a coma. It makes it easier to just enjoy the show without over thinking it.

The Reader
Member # 3636

I have some sympathy for Ben now, but he is still an utter psychopath. I wouldn't put it past him to find a way to trap Jacob and control The Island.

Locke can't die. The Island, or Jacob, needs him to be something other than another Great Citizen of The Island. That's why Ben wants Locke dead. Ben can't lose control and risk having the mysteries known to everyone.

Juliet may have a coalition larger than Ben suspects. His control has tightened quite a bit lately. This may be because they have been driven away from their homes and their communication with the outside world has been ended. The elusiveness, cunning, and few successful attacks by the castaways have shown how weak his tyranny is. It's possible that Juliet's message of fair rule has been accepted by more than a few people.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly hope that the viewers who left in droves earlier on will return before the season's through. While Season 3 floundered badly, the past few episodes have been wonderful. Tightly written, suspensful, things actually happen, secrets are revealed.

I guess that "There will only be 48 more episodes" deal was the kick the writers needed to move the story and characters forward.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

It looks like that's starting to happen:

quote:
Growing from its lead-in by 7.7 million viewers (12.1 million vs. 4.4 million) and by 163% in young adults (5.0/13 vs. 1.9/5), "Lost" won its Wednesday time period and was No. 1 scripted-program of the night across the adult demographics: Adults 18-34 (4.3/13), Adults 18-49 (5.0/13) and Adults 25-54 (5.6/14). In fact the ABC drama has won its hour in the key Adult 18-49 sales demographic on all 14 telecasts since entering its new time slot.

Despite its late time period and declining TV usage levels, "Lost" grew by 1.0 million viewers (11.6 million to 12.6 million) and by 11% among young adults (4.7/12 to 5.2/15) from its first half-hour to its second half-hour.

"Lost" improved the hour for ABC over the same night last year by 4.5 million viewers and 67% in Adults 18-49 (7.7 million & 3.0/8 on 5/10/06).

I prefer the edgier, late-night Lost, but if the writers can use the mix of family entertainment and darkness that worked in Season 1, and the current thickness of mystery, the show should be fine for the final 48 episodes.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Link.
Roseauthor
Member # 148

At least the last episode was more informative! The main reason I was going to discard this show was the lack of information and over addition of characters without character building. I didn't really care for most of the new characters like I did in season 1.

2. I didn't like the lack of information and just misleading the observer with mundane information.

3. EXTREME drawing out scenes, over commercializations with absolutely NO reward for my loyalty in viewing.

4. Not redressing the damn polar bear! or the smoke or the 'black cloud' in the forest that was killing people..

I'm still not sure the producers still have my interest. Too many absurdities. But the hubby loves it! I'll have a beer and watch again! heh

The Reader
Member # 3636

Roseauthor, 2 and 3 I agree with, but:

4. The Others mentioned that they did some work on the polar bears earlier this season. That's what the cages were for. The Black Cloud, monster, or whatever, is possibly the security system used by DHARMA. What it's made of is still a mystery.

I love the absudities and mystery. Lost is like a crazy conspiracy theory, but can be safely explored because it is entirely fiction and fun.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Rumor has it that after the season finale, we're going to spend the entire summer wondering how the show can even continue in the fall.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Roseauthor:
At least the last episode was more informative! The main reason I was going to discard this show was the lack of information and over addition of characters without character building. I didn't really care for most of the new characters like I did in season 1.

2. I didn't like the lack of information and just misleading the observer with mundane information.

3. EXTREME drawing out scenes, over commercializations with absolutely NO reward for my loyalty in viewing.

4. Not redressing the damn polar bear! or the smoke or the 'black cloud' in the forest that was killing people..

I'm still not sure the producers still have my interest. Too many absurdities. But the hubby loves it! I'll have a beer and watch again! heh

I don't get how you can just ignore the vast number of reveals we got this season. Your post sounds like you wrote it at the end of last season.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of hope Locke lives just so he can continue to be a pain in the butt to the Others rather than the crash survivors.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

[Laugh] Sterling

Locke is kind of like John McClaine in that respect.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Leaving a ring that size in a baby's cradle is irresponsible. Choking hazard.

It was interesting... this was the first time since the show started that I was able to look at Claire without feeling a grudge against her for what Tess did in Roswell.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm....my theories for the show:

1. Locke is not dead. There are too many questions about his connection with the island left unanswered and so there's no way he's dead. Jacob will have something to do with it.

2. It just seems too predictable that Charlie will die. And after the end of tonight's episode, it seems even less likely that they're going to kill him off. Because now there's an even bigger question that needs to be answered. If they kill off Charlie, then we'll never know about the newest station (I forget the name). I think all of Desmond's visions were in order to fulfill some greater purpose, but not Charlie's death.

3. The island is really all about Desmond. It's all some kind of mental construction of his. I don't know how, but that's what I think.

4. Jacob is really part of Locke's psyche.

But I believe #2 more than all the others. If they kill Charlie, that would just be predictable. And we all know that, if there's one thing that this show is, it's unpredictable. So there's no way they're actually going to let Charlie die after all this hype. We have seen it coming, and what's the fun of that?

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Evie, the new station is called the Looking Glass. [Smile]

I think I'd agree with you on #1 and #2. Both stories still have too much left to them to end them now. As for the other two, I don't know about them. #3 is an interesting idea, but I just doubt it. #4 is a possibility (what with Jacob looking like Locke in a wig), but I think there's more to Jacob than just that.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some interesting ideas about last week's episode.

So the island has this weird electro-magnetic thing going right? And the shack that Ben takes Locke to was surrounded by some sort of sand or dirt or whatever that was, which acts as some sort of barrier/protection which the power can't pass through. And Ben tells Locke that Jacob hates technology so there is nothing that produces any power. I think Ben has somehow captured part of the island, some of its essence. And that's why things start to go crazy when Locke flips on the flashlight. Jacob(or whatever) feeds off the energy from the flashlight and is able to use some of his(the island's power). That's why he says help me. At the beginning of all the shaking, before the image of a person is in the chair you see the chair empty rocking slightly. If you look closely there's black smoke in the chair, rocking with it.

Now some other ideas, that may be related to this. Ben may very well be crazy. He really doesn't know(or didn't) anything about the Island and made it all up. Jacob is some sort of imaginary creation of his. But maybe has somehow taken on it's own life, manifested, in the island, or whatever part of it Ben has captured. I mean, Ben is definitely deranged.

I think the fact that all the women on the island die during their 7th month of pregnancy totally lends credence to at least some of this, explaining why Ben would have so much power or influence over events on the island.

Richard still needs explaining. Who were he and the other "natives"? Where did they come from and what do they know?

I thought this week's episode was pretty cool. It was obviously a set up episode for the finale, but still managed to be interesting and engaging. I don't think they'll kill Charlie. You're right, after all the build up and expectation, it'd almost be anticlimactic to see him go. And I don't think Locke is really dead either. But then who's left to kill? They're going to kill somebody right? Maybe more than one. Sayid? Sawyer? Would they kill Jack? Juliette? Hurley would be a big shocker. I can see Bernard going.

Who are the people in the Looking Glass? What was the station built for? What's the signifcance of the name? If Charlie's gone through the looking glass will our perception about the reality of the island change this final episode?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

Lisa, I have actually have the DVD's of all but this episode. We'll order the last episode for summer "Lost Games," (something we and our friends do).

I'll stick with our opinions and our conclusions. But thank you for your opinion.

Again, the last few episodes have given us more data and ties in with previous episodes.

We'll see how it goes on Wednesday! I still think this is one of the best.. if not THE best show I've watched in a long time!

We're (hubby and our friends) are looking for the next season to be on DVD to add to our game.

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if the underwater hatch-dealio had played out the way Desmond foretold, Charlie would have had a cool death, and I wouldn't have been bothered by the fore-knowledge. The twist of either Desmond not knowing about the people there, or Desmond LYING about the people there, is cool. Even if anti-climactic.

If the writers say viewers will be wondering how the show can even CONTINUE after next week's finale, then I like the idea of MASSIVE deaths. On a grand scale. Or maybe time will reverse and they'll go back to the beginning, where the plane has just crashed, and a few of them remember the last three months, but the rest don't. Or only one person does. Or NO ONE does, but different events happen and different alliances are made, different people die, etc. Or maybe they're all rescued, or most are, and people will wonder how the show can work if they're not Lost anymore. Or something tricksy like that. Not that i have anything to back up any of those guesses. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the case, Desmond is going to come to on the boat, Charlie won't be there, he'll think his vision has happened and he'll go back to the island telling everyone that Charlie is dead. So whether Charlie dies or not, everyone will think he's dead and he could be trapped for a long time because nobody will be looking for him.

This episode had the highest jeopardy threshold in Lost history IMO. Charlie facing what he believes to be his death for Claire was very gripping.

I'm anxious to learn of Locke's fate, what Jacob really is, Alex's past and Ben's psyche. I'm sure none of this will happen next week. I'm also really confused about why Richard does not age and who the "hostiles" were to begin with.

I do trust Juliet now though.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I find it very difficult to believe that any of the characters are just constructs of any other character's psyches. I don't buy it. Too much happens on individual levels for that to be true.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you responding to with your last post?

Also, re: Desmond...from the previews for next week it looked like Desmond was going inside the hatch with Charlie.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
(what with Jacob looking like Locke in a wig)

Um... I don't think so. Link
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.