FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 11)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Scores -

Vonk - 6

Lissande - 1

El JT de Spang - 7

SenojRetep - 2

calaban - 2

SteveRogers - 1

[ June 06, 2006, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
9) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Party On.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

19) Toombstone

You're a daisy if you do.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, #3 was grating on my nerves, I knew I knew it. Parent Trap, right?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
9) Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
7) Incredibles
3) Meatballs? <edit>Argh, Parent Trap! Of course!</edit>
16) My Cousin Vinny?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

I was going to guess The Frighteners for 16.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
#16 is from Caddyshack.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

in hopes of closing this round...

#14 is an animated film from the 80's

The bonus is Modonna's first apperance in a major motion picture.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I cheated for 14, trying to check my answer. Remember to think globally. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
14) Heavy Metal, maybe?

Bonus) Desperately Seeking Susan? (I think that was Madonna's first movie).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

No and No, sorry.
vonk
Member # 9027

I just watched it last night with a friend, is that considered cheating? I didn't know before I watched it, but now it do.

14 - Akira.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

14- yep, Akira

that makes the scores

Vonk - 7
El JT de Spang - 7
SenojRetep - 2
calaban - 2
SteveRogers - 1
Lissande - 1

Bonus will break the tie between Vonk and JT

vonk
Member # 9027

I have absolutely no idea about the bonus question. Doesn't even sound familiar. But who knows, maybe I'll end up watching whatever it is tonight.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

the bonus is one of my favorite movies. In fact it was the 1st DVD I ever bought. Does that help?

We'll wait to see if JT knows it and then I can throw up a different bonus as a tie breaker for you two.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Make them play rock paper scissors. They can both email you with their shot, and whoever wins gets to go.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the bonus.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

OK, vonk and JT. I like Lyrhawn's idea. email me three rounds of rock, paper, scissors. if there is a tie in round one, I'll use round 2 and hopefully we won't need more than 3 rounds. e-mail is in my profile.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

anyone have any guesses at the Bonus?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'd have time to put together a list in the next few days. I just have to much going on this weekend.

I'll respectfully defer to vonk.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

then I suppose the next round goes to Vonk. I'll leave the bonus up unanswered until the new list is posted then I will reveal the correct answer
vonk
Member # 9027

Kuzah! Finally my turn. Thanks for the deferal (or deference?) El JT de Sprang.

Apologies all around if some of these are too obscure or too easy.

1)Information Transit got the wrong man. I got the *right* man. The wrong one was delivered to me as the right man, I accepted him on good faith as the right man. Was I wrong? -Brazil

2)See, you can't rewrite, 'cause to rewrite is to deceive and lie, and you betray your own thoughts. To rethink the flow and the rhythm, the tumbling out of the words, is a betrayal, and it's a sin, Martin, it's a sin. -Naked Lunch

3)Probably the most important thing is that when things get really bad and the world looks its darkest, you just have to throw up your hands and say "Well, alright!" cause it's probably gonna get a whole hell of a lot worse. -Cannibal: The Musical

4)Tell him the liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception. -Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

5)- Have fun, kid.
- Fun is my Chinese neighbor's middle name! -Rocketman

6)With a prompter in every cellar window
whispering comebacks, shy people would have the last laugh -Amelie

7)The doctor said it was pneumonia; because it happened some months later! During a flu epidemic! The doctors told me it was pneumonia, but I knew what it was! A VICTIM OF THE MODERN AGE! Poor, poor girl!-A Clockwork Oragne - Anthony Burgess

8)Your Commie has no regard for human life. Not even his own. -Dr. Strangelove

9)Ya smoke this sh*t so to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this sh*t. I am reality. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is. -Platoon

10)Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying. -Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

11)Forget about holding her hand, man. Think about the damage he could do to other places. -Edward Scissorhands

12)I've been dead once already; it's very liberating. You might think of it as... therapy. -Batman

13)Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? -Airplane!

14)Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

15)Sally, that's twice this month you've slipped deadly nightshade into my tea and run off. -A Nightmare Before Christmas - Tim Burton (Kinda)

16)- What's a motto?
- Nothing. What's a motto with you? -Lion King

17)We're not in infinity; we're in the suburbs -I Heart Huckabees

18)Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful. -This is a Spinal Tap!

19)Now you go feed those hogs before they worry themselves into anemia! -Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

20)All of us are freaks in one way or another. Try being born a male Russian Countess into a white, middle class, Baptist family in Mississippi, and you'll see what I mean. -Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Tom Robbins

Bonus: Many of these are based on novels. One point each for every original author you get.

[ June 09, 2006, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
15) Nightmare Before Christmas

I believe Tim Burton wrote the original story

16) An American Tail?

Maybe All Dogs Go To Heaven? Bah! Its an animated movie!

edit: I just remembered "The Lion King" take that!

[ June 08, 2006, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

8) Dr. Strangelove
10) Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
11) Edward Scissorhands
<edit>
is (9) Platoon?

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
2) Sneakers
16) The Lion King

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

13) Airplane!
I know I've seen (12). Is it Death Becomes Her?

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

#4 is from Fight Club, originally by Chuck Palahunik.

#3 is from Cannibal: The Musical, it's not based on a novel, I don't think, but it's by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Blackblade - 2 (unfortunately, A Nightmare Before Christmas was based on a poem, not a novel. Sorry.)

SenojRetep - 5 (nope, not Death Becomes Her) + 1

Jeniwren - 1 (Sorry, #2 is incorrect)

SteveRogers - 3 + 1 (Wow, I really didn't expect anyone to get Canibal: The Musical. Well done!)

PrincessLeah - 2 + 1

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
17. I "heart" huckabees
19. The Wizard of Oz (original author L. Frank Baum)

And I *so* know 12; it is on the tip of my tongue.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

What about me?

Edit:

I think there are similar quotes to 12 in a number of movies, so I'll take a crack at one of them:

Batman?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Blackblade - 2 (unfortunately, A Nightmare Before Christmas was based on a poem, not a novel. Sorry.)

SenojRetep - 5 (nope, not Death Becomes Her) + 1

Jeniwren - 1 (Sorry, #2 is incorrect)

SteveRogers - 2 + 1 (Wow, I really didn't expect anyone to get Canibal: The Musical. Well done!)

PrincessLeah - 2 + 1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/fullcredits#writers
[Frown] I was aware it initially was a poem but I was operating under the premise that Burton still wrote a story version.

Isnt it true that it is a story written in poetic verse? Its still a STORY!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

is (18) Hedwig and the Angry Inch?
vonk
Member # 9027

Writing the storyline of a movie is not the same as writing a novel that a movie was based on. But, because it was based on a piece of literature:

BlackBlade - 2 + 1/2

vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
is (18) Hedwig and the Angry Inch?

No, but good guess, I should have used a quote from that.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Writing the storyline of a movie is not the same as writing a novel that a movie was based on. But, because it was based on a piece of literature:

BlackBlade - 2 + 1/2

[Party]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Not Hedwig, how about Spinal Tap for (18)?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I just turned my brain up to eleven and realized that #18 is from This is Spinal Tap!

Edit: Gosh darn it, I got beat by one minute!

vonk
Member # 9027

Yessiree. Updated scores including bonus points:

SenojRetep - 7
SteveRogers - 4
Princes Leah - 3
BlackBlade - 2 1/2
Jeniwren - 1

Edit: There are still 10 points to be had, so it's not over yet.

vonk
Member # 9027

Awe, did everybody give up?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
6)With a prompter in every cellar window
whispering comebacks, shy people would have the last laugh - Amelie by Frenchie Magoo

14)Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it. - Airplane II by Mark Twain

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Thats two points for MrSquicky. Sorry, you authors were a little off.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on man. Frenchie Magoo!
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

It wasn't until I was scanning the Wikipedia article on Amelie to find out if it was based on a novel that I started thinking, "Frenchie Magoo, hmmm, I don't know..."

[Wall Bash]

beatnix19
Member # 5836

by the way my bonus from above was from the movie Vision Quest staring Matthew Modine.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man I know I've heard #5 somewhere.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rocket Man!! #5 is Rocket Man! I knew I'd heard it. Man that's a good movie... I really want to go watch it again.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Yup yup, Rocketman all the way. I love that movie.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

2) Naked Lunch

6) Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le
I believe Jean-Pierre Jeunet created the story out of several smaller stories.

7) Finally figured it out, only saw the movie once "Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

sorry for double posting but I had to grill my mom for 20) Even Cowgirls Get The Blues
Author: Tom Robbins

BTW I thought the movie was no good [Razz]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This list was HARD. I didn't seem to recognize any of them!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.