FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fog of War, Robert McNamara

Author Topic: Fog of War, Robert McNamara
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Watching this video, it looks pretty interesting. I like how he goes on to say that proportionality should be a guideline for war and then there's like a chart that shows how the bombing campaign of Japan was analogous to having destroyed X% of various US cities which was pretty chilling.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my all time favorite documentary. And Errol Morris is one of my favorite as well (not to mention the music is by Philip Glass, another favorite).

Watching it inspired me to read In Retrospect which is a good read and I heartily recommend it to anyone trying to understand American involvement in Vietnam. McNamara is one of the few men in history who wielded real power, changed the world, and then came out and honestly spoke about both his triumphs and his mistakes with equal candor. And I find his perspective spellbinding and ... educational.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh definitely yeah and it keeps getting better as I watch it. His discussion with the Vietnamese foreign minister later on is of interest.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That was definitely an excellent documentary. The stuff about the Cuban Missile Crisis chilled me to the bones though.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have it on DVD, I recommend watching the deleted scenes. There are some really good ones in there. In particular the one about Ford's accounting is amazing, and I love the romanticism of the poetry ones. (Some of these are available on youtube if you're into that sort of thing).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
The interviewer sounds kind of obnoxious.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Truth usually is.
Mial
Member # 12687

- posted      Profile for Mial   Email Mial         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Blayne, I think Robert McNamara raises some complex and hard to answer questions. War results in yucky stuff and politicians have to make tough decisions that are easy to be criticized after the fact.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.