FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC's political views scare me.

Author Topic: OSC's political views scare me.
Colonel Graff
Member # 11872

- posted      Profile for Colonel Graff   Email Colonel Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I respect the man as an author but I've been reading some of the things that he has written and it seems like he's kind of homophobic to me. I hate it when these conservative types will try to keep us from focusing on real issues that would help us move forward by bringing up social issues that would keep us in the past.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you go over to the other side and do a search on a few of your key words? We've had this discussion many times before.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
:facepalm:
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colonel Graff
Member # 11872

- posted      Profile for Colonel Graff   Email Colonel Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm just saying that I'm appalled by some of the things he says. That's all I'm saying.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon. I'm allowed to call *this* one cliched, right?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he's made a grand total of 10 posts, and hasn't used the word bigot yet. That's got to be worth something.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Graff:
Well, I'm just saying that I'm appalled by some of the things he says. That's all I'm saying.

Many others have said it. Seriously. If you want everyone's responses, they've already been made. Go search.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
C'mon. I'm allowed to call *this* one cliched, right?

YES!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's gotten bad enough that calling it cliched has become cliched.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
I think it's bad enough that calling it cliched is cliched.

That is such a cliche.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

YOUR MOM is a cliche.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
YOUR MOM IS YOUR MOM!!
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Elmer's mom is Karen Cliche?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
You wish! Wait... [Confused]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Well, he's made a grand total of 10 posts, and hasn't used the word bigot yet. That's got to be worth something.

Spoken like Hitler.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me [ROFL]
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
:Facepalm:
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

When BLAYNE does the :facepalm: you know something is wrong with the thread.
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Graff:
[QB I hate it when these conservative types will try to keep us from focusing on real issues that would help us move forward by bringing up social issues that would keep us in the past. [/QB]

"Real issues"
"Move forward"
"Keep us in the past".

Your command of language is positively Orwellian. These are absolutely meaningless sentences that mean NOTHING. As such there can result in no meaningful communication. Until you can strip your language of such non-meaningful sentences, you won't be able to articulate an intelligent political thought.

What I oppose in OSC's views regarding homosexuality, is that he wants to deprive gay people of equal marriage rights, that he wants to penalize homosexuality, and that he's combatting the idea of the acceptance of homosexuality in society.

Nothing about "moving forward" or "keeping us in the past" or "real issues", all nonsensical meaningless phrases.

And if you know that already, and meant your original post as parody -- that's horribly nasty of you.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
These are absolutely meaningless sentences that mean NOTHING.
[Smile]
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have a job at the department of redundancy department. :-)
Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

He even spelled it correctly! Clearly, someone has hacked Blayne's account. Alert Papa Janitor!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, Blayne's spelling has improved considerably of late. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Of late? You just forget what it was like three years ago. Do you recall a time when I seriously inquired as to his first language, and asked how old he was when he left China?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:

Oh, sure. I'm just being funny.

[Edit--well, trying for The Funny, anyway. They can't all be winners.]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Hey! I did the facepalm first, and I'm the original Hatrack Bad Example! I demand to be recognised as the one whose disapproval officially wrong-ifies a thread!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you, again?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Sorry KoM, you went mainstream and lost your indie cred. The game just passed you by kid...
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
What's awesome is that both KoM and Blayne have done the facepalm in this thread. It's like hell froze over, and then ceased to exist! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Of late? You just forget what it was like three years ago. Do you recall a time when I seriously inquired as to his first language, and asked how old he was when he left China?
No, I haven't forgotten. But there was a significant improvement again relatively recently (maybe 6 months?), and I wanted to acknowledge that.
Noemon
Member # 1115

It's true--there really has been (and it's much appreciated).
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I agree.

Except when he posts drunk.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

ALreght luk ooOOoooo. Mkhay KQ? MYkey? IF I wanaet poast dreujnk i"m giyen dothatk?
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has to be one of the most entertaining interplays I've read on here in a long time. I love how folks on Hatrack learn to appreciate the foibles of others...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Or something's right...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*Does a dance*
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Srsly, though, I think the kid has a point. Like remember when OSC said he thinks that Greensboro needs more sidewalk space? Or that traffic flow should be improved around Friendly Center?

And the final nail in the coffin is his bigoted, reactionary view about the Chop House Grille using too much salt in their mashed potatoes.

I mean, I respect him as an author, but this type of narrow-minded bile has no place in civilized discourse.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

The fiend!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.