FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Demographic Winter

Author Topic: Demographic Winter
Rowen
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this site for a new documentary which I thought might be interesting to fans of OSC's World Watch: http://www.demographicwinter.com/

It reminded me of this column from a while back: http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I know places like Russia and the Ukraine are having extreme problems with population decline, and at the same time the third world, ironically, is having problems with population booms.

But every estimation I've seen says that the Earth's population is going to continue to boom for decades to come, and if anything, we're going to have severe problems feeding and housing so many people in the decades to come.

It's also true that as nations become more prosperous and more wealthy, birth rates drop like a stone. So we'll see what happens when the third world joins the first world family, but right now, I'm honestly not worried.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem isn't going to be replacing the elderly, it's going to be supporting them.

Seriously, exactly how many more people do you expect this planet to be able to support while maintaining a comfortable lifestyle?

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is that directed to, or was that rhetorical?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It was directed at the OP.

I agreed with the substance of your post, so I didn't really feel the need to respond to it. Sorry for the confusion.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It's also true that as nations become more prosperous and more wealthy, birth rates drop like a stone. So we'll see what happens when the third world joins the first world family, but right now, I'm honestly not worried.

There is a hurdle to getting more prosperous and wealthy, a jump that these countries have to make before things start getting better. Unfortunately, it takes resources to do that, and so much of the world is living marginally.

---

Edited to add: not disagreeing, but agreeing

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.