FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What I would like for Christmas next year.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What I would like for Christmas next year....
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
His Holiness Pope Benedict, Pope and Metropoliton of Rome, Patriarch and Primus inter Pares of the West

The Most Rev. and Rt. Hon. Dr. Rowan Williams, Archbishop and Metropoliton of Cantebury, Primate of All England and Head of the Anglican Communion

His Divine Beatitude, Theodoros II Pope and Patriarch of of Alexandria

His Holinesss Antonios Naguib, the Coptic Catholic Patriarch and Pope of Alexandria

His Beatitude Patriarch Ignatius IV (Hazim) of Antioch and all the East

His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilus III of Jerusalem

His Holiness and Beatitude, Archbishop of Mtskheta-Tbilisi and Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia

His Holiness the Archbishop of Pe?, Metropolitan of Belgrade and Karlovci, Serbian Patriarch Pavle

His Beatitude the Archbishop of Athens and All Greece Christodoulos

His Beatitude Archbishop Dr Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania

His Beatitude Monsignor Michel Sabbah, Latin Patriarch and Archbishop of Jerusalem

His Holiness the seventy-sixth Patriarch of Antioch and the Whole Levant, Cardinal Mar Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir

His Holiness Karekin II, Catholicos of Armenia and of All Armenians

His Holiness Baselios Mar Thoma Didymos I, Catholicos of the East & Malankara Metropolitan

Rev. Mark S. Hanson, Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and President of the Lutheran World Federation

Rabbi Brant Rosen, President of the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association Board of Directors

Imans from Mecca and Jerusalem

Representitives of the Druze and Bahai faiths

All praying at the Cave of the Patriarchs for peace

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason you didn't include the Dalai Lama, or any Hindu spiritual leaders?

I'm just saying that if you're going to get all those folks together, you might as well include some of the leaders of Buddhism and Hinduism. After all, those faiths are followed by billions of people. And they could certainly help in any peacful prayer endevors.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's naming the leaders of the groups more commonly associated with violence, and specifically, violence influenced by religion.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's so many things wrong with that I don't know where to start.

Singling them out to pray for peace presupposes that they are endorsing the violence now and/or their prayers would be more effective than his own. And so my response is: what on earth? are you kidding?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wonder what would happen if all of them excommunicated everyone who claims to be of the religion they lead.

Either way, I don't think he is necessarily blaming the church/mosque/temple fathers (etc.) for the violence. I think he's idealistically hoping that if the leaders of religions that are often at odds with each other were to get together, team up, and show a united front for peaceful coexistance, that the rest of the world and their followers would fall in line.

I think they'd get further with excommunications, it removes the umbrella they work with, and might get the real faithful to stand up to them. Everything else is just ignorable words.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
if the leaders of religions that are often at odds with each other were to get together, team up, and show a united front for peaceful coexistence, that the rest of the world and their followers would fall in line.
This hasn't exactly happened for anything else, unfortunately.

My impression is that there is a perception that leaders have much greater control over the actions of the members of their flocks than they actually do.

Most churches don't have real active excommunication policies, the idea being, I think, that keeping someone within the fold leaves a chance to reach them while exile is washing one's hands of them.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Such as?

quote:
My impression is that there is a perception that leaders have much greater control over the actions of the members of their flocks than they actually do.
Agreed, mostly. Some religious leaders really DO have that kind of control and power, especially in the Muslim world. I can't say one way or the other about Jewish religious leaders, I really have no idea, and it's all over the board in Christianity. But I agree that on average, on the whole, the perception of influence is far from the reality of influence.

quote:
Most churches don't have real active excommunication policies, the idea being, I think, that keeping someone within the fold leaves a chance to reach them while exile is washing one's hands of them.
As you said, that isn't the reality though. I understand the theory, but I think it's about as idealistically flawed as the idea that praying for peace is going to wave a magic wand and fix it. If they aren't listening, and don't respect the religious leaders, those leaders need to recognize that, rally what true followers they have, and kick the other guys out. They need to stop associating with people who don't share their beliefs.

I think, and this is without foundation, just a wondering, that many are afraid that kicking out that many people is admitting defeat, and possibly could be construed as a statement that religious leaders aren't what they used to be.

They NEED to wash their hands of them, rather than guarding them in the hems of their robes, which more often than not seemed to be stained by the blood their false followers spilled.

A thousand years ago, those that claimed to be part of a religious group that didn't really follow the rules, that in fact patently broke them, defied church leaders, and went on killing sprees were kicked out, and usually much more violently than a simple slap on the wrist and a pink slip.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Prometheus -- if you want to get a Christmas present from each of those men, what are you getting them?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm thinking this, this, or this.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think he's naming the leaders of the groups more commonly associated with violence, and specifically, violence influenced by religion.

So does that mean that I should be glad or annoyed that while some dozen Christian sects are represented, the only Jewish "representative" is from the smallest and least-accepted (because it isn't really a religious group at all, really) so-called Jewish group one could think of?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You should just be grateful you were remembered at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My point is that I wasn't. Of all the things that take the label "Judaism" but have nothing to do with a religion actually resembling Judaism, Reconstructionism has to be highest on the list.

They don't even believe in the existence of God!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
oh my...I'm gonna stay out of this. I don't think this is a good way to start after introducing one's self.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

If they don't believe in the existence of God, then hoping that they'll pray for peace is probably futile.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

So does that mean that I should be glad or annoyed that while some dozen Christian sects are represented, the only Jewish "representative" is from the smallest and least-accepted (because it isn't really a religious group at all, really) so-called Jewish group one could think of?
That's a question for the new guy, but if you want me to take a stab at it...

I'd guess that referencing Jews at all refers to Palestine/Israel, and the most that MOST Americans know about it is whatever they see on the evening news, if they even bother to watch that. I'd say he just tossed it on there because the only other person to blame would be someone in the Israeli government, who wouldn't be a religious leader. That doesn't mean there aren't Jewish religious leaders out there to try and pin down, I just doubt he knows who any of them are, so he tossed the one he did know (or more likely bothered to google), and that's who became the Jewish representative.

Just a guess.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
If they don't believe in the existence of God, then hoping that they'll pray for peace is probably futile.

Oddly enough, they have a prayerbook, I think. [Dont Know]
quote:
I just doubt he knows who any of them are, so he tossed the one he did know (or more likely bothered to google), and that's who became the Jewish representative.

Oh, probably. Except Google seems relatively unlikely, unless he used a rather odd set of keywords.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
[qb] If they don't believe in the existence of God, then hoping that they'll pray for peace is probably futile.

Oddly enough, they have a prayerbook, I think.
In any case, expecting a Christmas present from a Jew seems odd.
rivka
Member # 4859

There is that.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The Recon definition of God, as set down by their founder, Mordechai Kaplan. Note that this is blasphemy (a rabbi I once knew told me I should preface it with that warning in the future).

"God is a functional, rather than substantive noun, thus denoting that power in the cosmos, including man, that makes for the salvation of men and nations."

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think that's it at all, and I hope he comes back and clarifies it.

First, Hinduism certainly has its share of violence. If this were the criterion, it was poorly applied.

Second, all the people he mentioned are connected to religions that honor Abraham. It is considered a holy place by Muslims, Jews, and Christians. I don't know if Druze and B'hai consider it holy, but I could see why someone would think so, as both have Islamic roots.

In this light the choice makes sense if one takes a superficial knowledge of Judaism into account.

quote:
Most Catholic excommunications are levied with the express hope that the person will come back, and the mechanism for doing so is an inherent part of the excommunication. It's true that excommunication is pretty rare, but it's not incompatible with leaving a chance to reach them and it's not washing one's hands of them.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Most Catholic excommunications are levied with the express hope that the person will come back, and the mechanism for doing so is an inherent part of the excommunication. It's true that excommunication is pretty rare, but it's not incompatible with leaving a chance to reach them and it's not washing one's hands of them.
Oh, I believe that. The LDS church does excommunication as well, with the same idea in mind. I was guessing as to why other churches don't.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just because something hasn't happened before isn't any reason not to wish for it to happen in the future. It just means the wish is not likely to come true.

That said, I haven't a clue what the OP is trying to say here, or why.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
"God is a functional, rather than substantive noun, thus denoting that power in the cosmos, including man, that makes for the salvation of men and nations."
Many times I have heard similar descriptions of God from the mouths of religious characters created by atheist writers.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Just because something hasn't happened before isn't any reason not to wish for it to happen in the future. It just means the wish is not likely to come true.
Wasn't it Einstein who said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?
katharina
Member # 827

I don't mind other people expecting unlikely things, such as perfect obedience of members of a religion. I do mind implying that various religious leaders are failing in their responsibility for not producing that unlikely thing.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
Many times I have heard similar descriptions of God from the mouths of religious characters created by atheist writers.
Yeah, but Kaplan really did write that. Which is why it's hard for a lot of Jews to take the Recon movement seriously.

Some people have joked that the Recon creed is "There is no God, and Mordechai Kaplan is his prophet."

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

quote:
Is there a reason you didn't include the Dalai Lama, or any Hindu spiritual leaders?

I included only leaders from Abrahamic religions as I couldn't think of any site sacred to both Abrahamic and Dharmic religions. The Tomb of the Patriarchs is a holy place for all religions which trace their roots to Abraham, but had little or no significance for other religions.

quote:
I don't think he is necessarily blaming the church/mosque/temple fathers (etc.) for the violence. I think he's idealistically hoping that if the leaders of religions that are often at odds with each other were to get together, team up, and show a united front for peaceful coexistance, that the rest of the world and their followers would fall in line.
Right. The thing is, these are all very good men, men whom I respect enormously and men whom the world holds great esteem for becouse they are in fact good men. I have greater faith in them than in the more disreputable politicians.

quote:
the only Jewish "representative" is from the smallest and least-accepted (because it isn't really a religious group at all, really) so-called Jewish group one could think of?
Sorry, I meant to include Conservative and Reform Rabbis as well, and Rabbi Sir Jonathan Henry Sacks, Chief Rabbi of the U.K.

However, while Reconstructionist Judaism is by far the smallest branch, I have always felt it was well-accepted. Not by the Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox maybe, but by both the Reform and Conservative movements.

I am far from an expert in Jewish studies, but as far as I know, Reconstructionist Jews do believe in God. I know that they reject the idea that the Jews are a choosen people of God, but I didn't think they rejected the existence of God.

In adition to Reformed and Conservative Rabbis, I meant to add representitives from the Methodist and Prespyterian Churches.

I struggled with the inclusion or non-inclusion of various leaders. In the end, I decided not to include any Patriarchs thought to have been Soviet stooges.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

"Of all the things that take the label "Judaism" but have nothing to do with a religion actually resembling Judaism, Reconstructionism has to be highest on the list."

Don't Reconstructionist Jews place a higher emphasis on traditional Jewish practices than Reform? Yeah, they are fairly Theologicaly liberal, but so are many Christians and even a few Muslims.

Like I said, I am not an expert nor even Jewish, but that was the impression I got.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't it Einstein who said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?
Yep. Of course, he was talking about experimental procedure. I'm not sure he meant for it to apply to hope.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Prometheus -- if you want to get a Christmas present from each of those men, what are you getting them?

I think he should get them Chia Pets. Everybody loves Chia Pets!

And I think that the idea of getting leaders of faith communities - or any communities - to pray for/work for/express a desire for peace is a hopeful and brave wish whatever the details.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

Looking it up, Reconstructionist Jews do have a clear belief in God.

quote:
Mitzvot are our particularly Jewish ways of responding to the universal God. We perceive God as demanding sacredness in general, and the Jewish mitzvot are our people's way of bringing that universal sacredness to the minutiae of daily life in our own specifically Jewish context.
From the Reconstructionist Rabinical College.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by PrometheusBound:
I am far from an expert in Jewish studies, but as far as I know, Reconstructionist Jews do believe in God. I know that they reject the idea that the Jews are a choosen people of God, but I didn't think they rejected the existence of God.

They use the word, but they've redefined it to mean something foreign to any religious concept of God in any religion ever. It's like me saying that God means a hollow truncated conical object made of styrofoam, and then claiming that I really do believe in God because I drink out of him every day.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by PrometheusBound:
Looking it up, Reconstructionist Jews do have a clear belief in God.

quote:
Mitzvot are our particularly Jewish ways of responding to the universal God. We perceive God as demanding sacredness in general, and the Jewish mitzvot are our people's way of bringing that universal sacredness to the minutiae of daily life in our own specifically Jewish context.
From the Reconstructionist Rabinical College.
It means something a little different when you take their definition of the word into account.

Like in The Princess Bride. "You keep saying that. I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:

I think he should get them Chia Pets. Everybody loves Chia Pets!

And I think that the idea of getting leaders of faith communities - or any communities - to pray for/work for/express a desire for peace is a hopeful and brave wish whatever the details.

Does anyone remember Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap? It was like soap chia pets.

I may have to get some now. Link

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

quote:
They use the word, but they've redefined it to mean something foreign to any religious concept of God in any religion ever.
Lots of people believe in that definition of God, many liberal Christians and Hindu intellectuals for instance. It is even pretty close to the orthodox Quaker view. So, while it may be different from other Jewish schools of thought, it is not "foreign to any religious concept of God in any religion ever."

I will not deny that it is substantialy different from most orthodox religious views.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonee:
I don't think that's it at all, and I hope he comes back and clarifies it.

First, Hinduism certainly has its share of violence. If this were the criterion, it was poorly applied.

I think he's focusing on what we commonly see in the news, which is Big Three violence. Yeah I know there are more Hindus than there are Jews (well, probably anyway), but for the sake of the argument, consider this the Abrahamic Big Three, as they are the ones constantly in the news for bombings, assasinations, etc.

So yes, I think he's naming leaders of the groups attached to religious violence, specifically, in conflicts we see on tv all the time.

I'd like to see him be more specific too. Maybe he's focusing on individual problems rather than going for peace on earth in its entirety.

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

I already said that I choose only leaders of Abrahamic faiths becouse the Tomb of the Patriarchs has religious significance to them alone. I did not draw only from the "Big Three" but included Druze and Bahai.

Leaders of Dharmic religions should also be active in promoting peace. There is no one place anywhere that Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and Jains all consider holy. Perhaps they might do as well to be seen praying together in the streets of Mumbai and New Delhi.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
So yes, I think he's naming leaders of the groups attached to religious violence, specifically, in conflicts we see on tv all the time.

Except that the Recon movement doesn't even exist in Israel. It's a purely American phenomenon.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
PrometheusBound: Indeed. Perhaps we should find all leaders of all religions and have them pray/wise/advise for peace in some neutral location. The ISS, the United Nations, or the center of Antarctica.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

"The ISS, the United Nations, or the center of Antarctica."

Hmm....

I think the UN building would have to be bigger. The other two are just fine.... [Laugh]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Except that the Recon movement doesn't even exist in Israel. It's a purely American phenomenon.
Lisa, I don't think that's true any longer.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah I know there are more Hindus than there are Jews (well, probably anyway), but for the sake of the argument, consider this the Abrahamic Big Three, as they are the ones constantly in the news for bombings, assasinations, etc.

They are also Abrahamic, and he picked the spot where Abraham is buried.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hinduism is Abrahamic? Since when?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The Big Three are.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Which is why I said "Abrahamic Big Three."

Was I not clear?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It appears to me that when Dag said "They ar also Abrahamic", he was referring to the Big Three, not to Hinduism.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay...
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You would think a lawyer would know how to express himself clearly. [Razz]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Hinduism is Abrahamic? Since when?

Brahma is obviously derived from Abraham.

(Yes, I'm kidding)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.