FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you pronounce "buried"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce "buried"?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Which of the following ways do you pronounce "buried"?

A: Similar to curried and furry
B: Similiar to married and ferry
C: Neither of the above - y'all sure you're speaking English?

I'll answer, but in about an hour. I don't want to taint the results. [Smile]

[ August 09, 2006, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
B!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Also B!
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
B and 1/2 *grin*

But more like "bear-ee" . . . there is a difference, trust me.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
B for me too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
B for me, but I've known A people, too. They are enough of a minority in my experience that I always take note when I hear it.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
B.
But I'd like to add that I've also pronounced it the other way. But it never came out sounding anything like fury. Are you sure you didn't mean to write 'furry'?

edited to insert 1 word.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an A...ish.

I grew up in a town with 'bury' in it, but when pronounced by locals sounds like "berry". But when using the word by itself, I am a mix of A and "berry".

-Bok

EDIT: I guess I am more a B as well, but in my neck of the woods, "ferry" and "marry" don't rhyme [Smile]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce "bury" exactly the same way I pronounce "berry" or "Barry". It's the same sound as in "bear" and "bare".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Either one, but more often B.

Although I agree with Eduardo that it should be "furry", not "fury." To rhyme with "curry."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, you're right. *amends*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bok: when I say it, it's closer to B, but I pronounce marry and ferry differently.

Actually there are three different sounds for Mary, marry, and merry. I pronounce "bury" like "merry".

Although sometimes, when I'm lazy, it's more like "Mary". From back in the days when I couldn't hear the difference between Mary and merry.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
A. But sometimes B.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You pronounce these the same? [Confused]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
B
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
B...but I also pronounce merry, Mary and marry the same...so I'm weird.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Also B.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
B
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
B
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:

So do I.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
quote:
You pronounce these the same? [Confused]
I don't. One of them begins with an "m" and the other with an "f". Oh, and one has a "d" sound at the end.

But the vowel? Absolutely. I think that may be what people mean when they talk about Midwestern flatness of speech. I think we have fewer vowel sounds than other regions.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:

So do I.
Me too.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
B -- like berries.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. Mary, bury, ferry, Gary, Jerry, Larry, merry, dairy, marry. All the same, with a long 'a' sound. And I am definitely not from the midwest, so I have no idea where that comes from.

Actually, I have been told by people from every region of America that I have no accent (well, obviously an American accent, but no more divergence from there).

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

vonk, you pronounce them: MAY-ree, BAY-ree, FAY-ree, GAY-ree, etc? (A "long 'a' sound" is like the "A" in "Apron".)

I pronounce them all the same, too, but with an "eh" sound: MEH-ree, BEH-ree, FEH-ree, GEH-ree, etc.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Gah, that's madness.

Mare-ee
feh-ree
Ga-ree (with an "a" like in rat or mat or sat)
Jeh-ree
La-ree (like Gary)
Dare-ee
Ma-ree (also like Gary)

Mary, Marry, and Merry are three different pronounciations for me. It souns very weird and regional to say them all the same.

So, if you were to say "Isn't it merry that I'm going to marry Mary?" - you'd use the same word three times?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a sound file I made for another board when it came up some time back.

I pronounce buried identically with berried, using a totally different vowel sound than the one in married.

(On the other hand, I pronounce Mary and marry identically, though I can hear the distinction made by others.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I was in a show where I had to say "married", and the speech coach spent thirty minutes trying to get me to say it correctly (i.e. standard american) before finally giving up.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
So, if you were to say "Isn't it merry that I'm going to marry Mary?" - you'd use the same word three times?
Yes. They're homophones, right? I always thought they were.

quote:
vonk, you pronounce them: MAY-ree, BAY-ree, FAY-ree, GAY-ree, etc? (A "long 'a' sound" is like the "A" in "Apron".)

I pronounce them all the same, too, but with an "eh" sound: MEH-ree, BEH-ree, FEH-ree, GEH-ree, etc.

Yeah, your right, it isn't the long 'a' sound. Dernit, I needs to get me some a dat fancy schoolin'!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
b
Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well at least the thread made it to page two before someone starting throwing around the label "homophone".
Lisa
Member # 8384

I was born in 1963. Mary and merry and marry are homonyms.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:

So do I.
Me too.
And the vowel is the same one as in "cat".
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Flying Cow, I see you're in NJ, is that where you're from? I'm from Long Island and I make the same pronunciation distinctions you do. I don't think that pronouncing merry, marry, and Mary the same is just Midwestern--I think it's true for most of the U.S. except for the Northeast.

Anyway, buried sounds like berried but not like married or curried in my little accent.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe.

I'm a "berry"'d.

married = mahhhh reed

ferry = fehree

I didn't even KNOW they could be pronounced differently O_o

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, only in certain dialects.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
A

Woah, I guess I'm pretty weird then. On merry, Mary, and marry though I do say the last two the same with the stress on the 'mar', but with merry where I stress it is a bit unclear.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Wow. That's just so weird to me.

Mary has the same "ar" sound as mare, care, bear, fair, stare, etc...

Merry has the same "e" sound as bet, get, set, wet, etc...

Marry has a true short "a" sound, like in rat, cat, sat, hat, fat, bat, etc..

vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Well at least the thread made it to page two before someone starting throwing around the label "homophone".

[Confused]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am close to B, but not quite. I also have differences in how I pronounce "marry" and "merry", too. The first is more like "cat"; the second is more like "get".

I am also midwestern.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Hehe.

I'm a "berry"'d.

married = mahhhh reed

ferry = fehree

I didn't even KNOW they could be pronounced differently O_o

Myr lives a sheltered life. [Wink]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another one for whom Mary, marry, and merry are all the same. In fact, vonk's whole list, above, are all rhyming exactly to me (rhyming with airy, e.g.). Hence, for me, married and buried rhyme.

I've heard it pronounced the other way (as in furry and curried), but I mainly associate that with a southern-type accent.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I picked A.

"Buried" rhymes with "curry".

I don't know why this is. I'm from Texas and Utah, but I spent a lot of time talking to people in Detroit so sometimes I will have a Michigan/midwestern accent from that experience.

Jon Boy, any theories?

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Mary has the same "ar" sound as mare, care, bear, fair, stare, etc...

Merry has the same "e" sound as bet, get, set, wet, etc...

Marry has a true short "a" sound, like in rat, cat, sat, hat, fat, bat, etc..

Ah, I do say Marry and Mary both with an "a" like in care, but I do say merry as in bet, get, set, wet, etc.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Just a silly joke, vonk. Disregard.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Yes, I'm from NJ, but I have thankfully avoided most of the dialect from the state. I've traveled a lot and read a lot, and that has colored my pronounciation considerably. I'm always asked when I travel where I'm from, because no one can seem to guess - and everyone's always surprised when I say New Jersey.

The only classic dialect NJism I have really noticed is that I say the word "dog" more like "dawg" - it doesn't rhyme at all with log, frog, bog, etc... which are all said with an "ah" vowel. My brother in law from Maryland says them all with the "aw" sound, and my friends from Pennsylvania say them all with the "ah" sound. I'm caught in the middle.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread where we beat the merry, marry, Mary horse good and dead. Well, I did anyway, with my strange fixation on the concept!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Just a silly joke, vonk. Disregard.

I thought it was funny!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, I must've missed that thread. *takes quiz*

Cow's pronounciation lists are how I say them, too. Must be a northeasty thing. But, do you say coffee with a "w" too?

Javert - [Razz]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I speak I am B (berry).

When I read the word, in my head, I pronounce it as A (similar to Curry).

I think I say Mary, marry and merry all the same as well but I am now so mixed up, what I "think" that I say might not be what I really say. (This might be what I get for being a Canadian who has lived in western, the midwest and the Eastern United States) Gah!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.