FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 6 hours and 16 minutes (a mayfly, thank God) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 6 hours and 16 minutes (a mayfly, thank God)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Until I can have a drink.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
what does (mayfly) mean

why wont anyone explain this to me?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a thread that may disappear any moment. It has a short lifespan, like that of a mayfly.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, dear, why can't you drink anything?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Do you mean a drink, or a Drink?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
4 hours and 56 minutes
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
It's a thread that may disappear any moment. It has a short lifespan, like that of a mayfly.

I guess that in another mayfly thread and nobody bothered to confirm its accuracy [Frown]

I consider myself just a titch smarter [Cool]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a fast day for the Jews?

No, couldn't be that, or else they wouldn't be posting - it would be a high Sabbath, right?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
Is this a fast day for the Jews?

And Farmgirl wins the prize!
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ou.org/yerushalayim/tishabav/default.htm

Tisha B'av... I googled it...

Actually, I figured it was a Jewish holiday (one that my hubby doesn't observe) when Lisa posted. When Ela posted too I was sure of it.

It has to do with mourning the destruction of the Temples.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
haha i ate three hours ago... i live in israel [Big Grin]
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Grr.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. And I was sure all the fast days were treated as Sabbaths. I learned something new too!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Nah, just Yom Kippur.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the FSM has much nicer fast days : You're allowed pasta.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Only red sauce, though.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

I was just going to post that it's ridiculous to expect people to not drink in the hottest part of the summer, when I remembered that I'm expected to do that too, this coming Sunday. [Blushing]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

See, no post-biblical holy days are treated like Shabbat. And Yom Kippur is the only biblical fast day.

Hanukkah and Purim aren't fast days, but they're post-biblical, so they don't have rules like not using electricity, and the like.

The only two full day fasts are Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av. Twenty five hours of no eating, drinking, washing, wearing leather shoes, rubbing oil on yourself or having sex. And Yom Kippur is easier, because you're in synagogue all day, and it's in the fall, so the day is shorter. Tisha B'Av is a killer.

The other minor fasts only start in the morning, and you only have to refrain from eating and drinking.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
I was just going to post that it's ridiculous to expect people to not drink in the hottest part of the summer, when I remembered that I'm expected to do that too, this coming Sunday. [Blushing]

What's this Sunday?
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Fasting includes not having sex? I wasn't aware of that. Now I wish I had remained ignorant on that part.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tisha B'Av is a killer.
Do you mean this literally? I dunno, if you were sick, say, and not allowed to drink... I suppose the oral history has exceptions for that, though, right?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[no] wearing leather shoes, rubbing oil on yourself or having sex
That would totally cramp my style.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
[no] wearing leather shoes, rubbing oil on yourself or having sex
That would totally cramp my style.

[Big Grin]

Especially for those of you who like to do all 3 at the same time.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

JennaDean, I was taught (by the missionaries) that if it's hot (and/or you dehydrate easily, like I do), you should drink enough plain water to maintain health on Fast Sunday. Now, I respect your choice if you choose not to, but I do-- because I faint if I don't.

(Of course, I'm nursing right now. So Fast Sunday for me means no sweets, no treats, no meat, and nothing to drink but plain water during the fast. I miss fasting. I got to do it about 2 times when I had partially weaned Emma before I found out I was pregnant again.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Another benefit of being non-religious is that I get to eat, drink, and do the hibbidy-dibbidy whenever the mood strikes [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:

What's this Sunday?
Mormons fast the first Sunday of each month (unless it's a month when we have a conference instead of regular church, then it's rescheduled.) We fast and pray, and there are no planned speakers in church that week, we all have a chance that week to get up and "bear our testimonies" instead. We are asked to contribute the money we would have spent on food (or more, if we can afford it) to a fund that helps feed and shelter those in need.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Fasting includes not having sex? I wasn't aware of that. Now I wish I had remained ignorant on that part.

Only on Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Tisha B'Av is a killer.
Do you mean this literally? I dunno, if you were sick, say, and not allowed to drink... I suppose the oral history has exceptions for that, though, right?
If I were sick, I could definitely drink. Or eat. All depending on what was necessary. If small amounts of water were enough, I'd just do that.

My first time in Israel, I got sick just before Tisha B'Av. I was on a thing called Ramah Seminar, which is a bunch of Conservative Jewish 17 year olds (Conservative as in the movement; not as in actually politically conservative) in Israel for 6 weeks.

There were three or four of us who came down with high fevers and insanely bad headaches. One guy actually got subjected to a spinal tap. We all may have had low grade cases of meningitis. Needless to say, we didn't fast.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Incidentally, it's now 4 hours and 32 minutes. And I'm going home.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade! I answered you in my mayfly thread. I even linked to my first ever mayfly. Which didn't fly away. And my latest mayfly hasn't flown away either because my darn computer still isn't fixed! [Mad]

But anyways ...

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Blackblade! I answered you in my mayfly thread. I even linked to my first ever mayfly. Which didn't fly away. And my latest mayfly hasn't flown away either because my darn computer still isn't fixed! [Mad]

But anyways ...

Have a muffin and some apple cider. I seriously looked for the thread where I originally asked and it was gone.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

I guess that in another mayfly thread and nobody bothered to confirm its accuracy [Frown]

I consider myself just a titch smarter [Cool]

Maybe if you really were a titch smarter you would have known to add an -ed ending to the word guess in your above post. I am usually not so snarky but I just had to given the blatent arrogance of that post!

Lisa, good luck with your fast today! You can do it!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade: this one?. Now that you mention it, cider does sound awfully good right now.

By the way, did you notice that you and Mandy M are one registration number apart?

/derail

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

2 hours and 55 minutes.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's not much difference from Southern Florida to Chicago.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Blackblade: this one?. Now that you mention it, cider does sound awfully good right now.

By the way, did you notice that you and Mandy M are one registration number apart?

/derail

I don't see what you mean? How do you see registration #'s?

Also she has so many more posts then me, thats probably due to the fact that when I first registered I did not post on the forums TOO much. Now that I sit at a computer all day with nothing to do at work I post lots.

MandyM: mistyping does not indicate a lack of inteligence, just bad hand eye coordination.

Thats the 2nd time today I've been accused of arrogance, I am starting to wonder if there is something to it.

edit: I figured out where the registration #'s are you are right she is right after me, does that give us some sort of affinity?

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:

Miami is almost directly south of Chicago, strange as it seems. Take a look at a map sometime and you will see. [Smile] (I accidentally deleted my post before Lisa's, it was 2 hours and 8 minutes.)

One hour and 51 minutes.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

MandyM: mistyping does not indicate a lack of inteligence, just bad hand eye coordination.

Maybe, but the lack of editing implies that you did not notice, you did not care, or you did not know that there was a mistake at all. I also think that if you are spouting off about your highly intelligent self, you should at least make sure your post SOUNDS intelligent.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
quote:

Miami is almost directly south of Chicago, strange as it seems.
Really? That doesn't seem right. I have to look at a map.

Oh, and 1 hour, 54 minutes.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
blackblade, your registration number is your member number, right under your name.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
Maybe, but the lack of editing implies that you did not notice, you did not care, or you did not know that there was a mistake at all. I also think that if you are spouting off about your highly intelligent self, you should at least make sure your post SOUNDS intelligent.

That's an awful lot of angst and vitriol directed at someone who made a wisecrack with a smiley and left two letters off a word.

Chill. It's a holy day [Smile]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
quote:
quote:

The east coast curves westward as it goes south. So, actually, Miami is almost directly south of Cleveland if you follow the line of longitude down. It's actually a bit east of Chicago, but not as much as you would expect.

...23 minutes.

Nyah. [Razz]

JennaDean
Member # 8816

quote:
I miss fasting. I got to do it about 2 times when I had partially weaned Emma before I found out I was pregnant again.
Sadly, I didn't miss fasting at all. And I'm having to train myself to do it again. Bad Mormon, me.

Enjoy your breakfast, Lisa & Ela! [Smile]

Ela
Member # 1365

My dinner is in the oven.

2 more minutes. [Smile]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The east coast curves westward as it goes south. So, actually, Miami is almost directly south of Cleveland if you follow the line of longitude down. It's actually a bit east of Chicago, but not as much as you would expect.

...23 minutes.

Nyah. [Razz]

But you're in a different time zone, so the time difference is an hour more than it's been seeming.

37 minutes.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Enjoy your breakfast, Lisa & Ela! [Smile]

Thanks. We have stuffed shells in the oven and two bottles of Coke in the fridge. 36 minutes and counting.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, stuffed shells!

We're in the same time zone, aren't we Lisa?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumb question: how did electricity get banned on the Sabbath if it is "post biblical?"
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
46 minutes.

Electricity on Shabbos.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Oooooh, stuffed shells!

And they were yummy!

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
We're in the same time zone, aren't we Lisa?

Is Louisiana in the Central time zone?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.