FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Festivals, Conventions, Retreats: What's Your Poison? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Festivals, Conventions, Retreats: What's Your Poison?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Festival season is upon us!
We are music festival addicts, and I just saw a Cajun/Zydeco fest that looks really interesting.
(Myr???)

What kinds of festivals or conventions have you attended? Renn Faires, poetry festivals, Star Trek?

Religious retreat?

How do they make you feel?

For me, I feel like I am entering a different, happier world for a few days, and I leave mentally and spiritually invgorated and physically exhausted.

I would love to hear about other people's experiences.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm apparently not the convention type. I've been to Renaissance Fairs, and they struck me as painfully silly. I've been to Shabbatons (Jewish Sabbath retreats), and they struck me as awfully contrived. In high school, I got sent on this Youth Leadership Retreat. I just couldn't get into the "theme" of it that was supposed to direct all our actions for the weekend. And I think I'd rather gnaw off my own leg then get trapped in a Vulcan costume at a Star Trek convention.

But hey, that's just me. You all enjoy your fun.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tante, what do you really like to do? Would you thik it was fun to hang out with people who liked the same thing for a few days?

It would drive me mad for longer than that, but I just love the energy of music festivals.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ALso, you thinking Renn Faires are silly made me think of SpongeBob episode whe SpongeBob and Patrick hang out in a "magic box" and pretend they are having all sorts of adventures, and Squidward doesn't get it at all.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Tante, what do you really like to do?

Uh...post on Hatrack?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, have you been to any of the Hatrack Cons?
Maybe that is your thing.
Although, then you wouldn't be ab;e to post...

Hmm. What if we all brought laptops, and sat in the same room and posted to Hatrack?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I few weeks ago, I was at KosherCon. Although it is less of what I'd call a Con, and more of what I'd call lunch out at a Chinese Restaurant.

And last summer, when Rivka was in town, some of us got together for, uh, Rivkon. That was lunch out at an Indian restaurant, and a visit to a museum.

Those were just fine.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hmm. What if we all brought laptops, and sat in the same room and posted to Hatrack?

That NEVER happens at a Hatrack event.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a stitcher's retreat every year (in fact it was last weekend this year). I usually take a class or two, in which I learn some new technique or new type of stitches, spend a lot of time with a needle in one hand and chocolate in the other, laughing, being silly, and if I'm lucky, actually getting a few stitches in!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That NEVER happens at a Hatrack event.

*giggles* No, usually we're all sharing two or three computers. [Big Grin]

I love music festivals. I love ren faires. (Sadly, not up to much of either lately.) I love foodie trade shows. Ditto fabric/sewing/costuming events. But my favorite by far are Hatrack get-togethers! [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Mine was one of them at Kamacon. [Wink] Ended up with a whole mess of new AIM buddies, only half of which I can identify..
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack Cons are teh awesome.

I still also want to go to a Star Trek convention. I've never been, and I've wanted to since I was a little kid.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The greater Buffalo area goes festival crazy once it gets warm enough to host them. You can't go a spring or summer weekend without one or two of them going on...You get your ethnic fests (Italian, Irish, Hellenic), art fests (Allentown, the one whose name I can't remember at the park), food fests (Taste of Buffalo, Wingfest, Wingstock), and there's a guitar fest mixed in there somewhere. Folks here will take any excuse to walk around and eat food...
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to go to a Hatrack con. I need to find more people in my area. However, the local Ren Festival is the shiznit. Yes, I said shiznit. So sue me.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy and his scribblings

Always well done.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the horse shows I've been to count, like we rent the hotel out, and all come back to run in and out of each others rooms all night (this is about 4,000 people). Those are absolutely amazing.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

True, breyerchic.
Sports tournaments can be like that, too.

The thing is, when the weekend is over, I am ready to go home. I would not want to live with people who are so similar in interests all the time. I don't think I could ever handle one of those communes or alternative communities.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You get your ethnic fests (Italian, Irish, Hellenic), art fests (Allentown, the one whose name I can't remember at the park), food fests (Taste of Buffalo, Wingfest, Wingstock), and there's a guitar fest mixed in there somewhere. Folks here will take any excuse to walk around and eat food...
Oooh, forgot the ethnic fests! I love the Lithuanian Fair and used to go to the Irish Fair when I was little; that was fun.

And I forgot the Watermelon Festival, which is several years old and we attended for the first time last year-- with adorable results. We're looking forward to this year's!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh spending three days with those people can be a bit much. But the first two are wonderful.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
And last summer, when Rivka was in town, some of us got together for, uh, Rivkon. That was lunch out at an Indian restaurant, and a visit to a museum.

September, actually. (I remember because of the conflicts with my job(s). >_< )

And we had Chinese and sushi for lunch, and Indian food for supper.

But yeah, both times were a LOT of fun. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing is, when the weekend is over, I am ready to go home. I would not want to live with people who are so similar in interests all the time. I don't think I could ever handle one of those communes or alternative communities.

[Confused] For the communities I've visited and lived in, folks' interests are incredibly varied. (About as much, say, as Hatrackers'... except for the lack of Republicans...)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, Plaid, what are the communities you have lived in?

Maybe, for me, it is just the small community that is too much. I need to feel lost in the shuffle at times.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Ren Faires are my usual poison. I used to do Star Trek cons and Magic tournaments, pre kid. I wish to make a Hatrack con someday.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the few music festivals that I have attended. Were I to live in an area that made them more accessible, I would probably go again.

I have to admit that I am a bit of a geek. I love little small town fairs. Around here, every little town (and there are a bunch of them) have their own little street festival every year with homemade food, games and crafts from the area (of course, most are pretty similar as the whole area is German-American). I think they're a lot of fun and it's nice to get a flavor of each place.

I have mixed feelings about religious retreats. I'm not big on the retreats where you sit in conferences for hours listening to a lecturer who is supposed to be spiritually inspiring. Those wear me out rather than invigorate me. Last summer I made my first "directed" retreat which was a week long silent retreat in which I was simply given the space to commune with God in whatever way I chose. No work, no worries, just enjoying the leisure time with God. One hour a day I met with a director who gave me some suggestions for things to do and let me talk about the experiences that I had had so far. She was great... very open, gave suggestions but didn't push them on me. By the end of the week I felt pretty comfortable just doing my own thing, I didn't need as much help in trying to find something to "do" so we didn't meet for as long. It was a great experience. I left feeling better (both spiritually and physically) than I had felt in a long time.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to a Kite Festival this weekend at Gunston Hall. It was fun. My little girl tried to help!
http://www.darthunix.com/pics/displayimage.php?album=76&pos=19

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Communities I've lived at =

East Wind, in Missouri, 75 people -- link

Long Maï/Grange Neuve, in France, 75 people -- link

Twin Oaks, in Virginia, 100 people -- link

and, currently, Acorn Community, also in Virginia, 20 people -- link

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday after next the medieval club I belong to is doing a Corpus Christi Festival for a fundraiser. It's gonna be a big carnival with medieval plays and puppet shows and all other kinds of fun stuff.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the Comic-Con this summer. It'll be my first [Smile]

I've gone to various meet-ups and gatherings, but nothing quite so... organized.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm going to comic-con in san diego again this year, too. i went last year and had a blast. it is essentially a nonstop three day party for me.

good times.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I kinda like the National Storytelling Festival!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, Sophie and I will be at GenCon this August. All are welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I always try to make a trip to my local Scottish Festival every year. I'm way too scrawny to do the Kaber-toss or anything, but it's still fun. I still need to go to a comic-con, though. It's something I've always wanted to go to, but never had the time or the money (or the friends willing to come with, I'm wearing them done though)
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm contemplating going to Marcon this May. Anybody else considering it?

When I was a kid the Renn. Festival was one of my favorite events of the year--right up there with Halloween and 4th of July. I often wished that my parents would take us more than once a year. These days it doesn't do as much for me, but it's possible that it's because the festival near Dayton isn't as good as the one in KC.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

National Storytelling Festival sounds neat, I'd love to go to that sometime.

Don't think I could ever go to a music festival -- I have a hard time appreciating/enjoying music when I'm hearing it for the first time.

I went to Burning Man a couple years ago, that was enjoyably weird, I'll probably go again some day.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

plaid,

I think many people are like you, not enjoying music they don't recognize.

Some people do not like the rougher ege of live music, which I am completely addicted to.

Also, I did not in any way mean to put down the communities such as you have lived in, and described before. I just couldn't live that way. Too much like a small, small town.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand Ren Fest anymore. It was fun the first time I went, but my friends insist on going every year, and it gets old after the first 20 minutes or so. If not for the women shoved into tiny corsets, I wouldn't even go for that 20 minutes [Smile]

It's just the same thing every year, and unless you go with the intention of actually buying any of the rather nice crafts they have there (and there are some beautifully hand made things), then it really isn't worth it to me. Well, except for the washing wenches. They're almost worth it by themselves. I just can't stand walking around there for hours.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I was wondering, though, Lyrhawn, if people who are the vendors and actors(reenactors?) have a fun pretend life at those festivals. And I think THAT would be a blast. I would like to hear more from an insier or two, and I know we have some here.

Fess up, Renn Fairists!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd imagine they'd have to either love it, or go slowly insane doing it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Perhaps they have to start out insane?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh, that's a possible third option.

Most of them really seem to be into the whole spirit of it, but to some it's also just a business. They only do it in the summer to make more money, or they travel from show to show with their high prices wares looking for sellers.

Still, I have to wonder about the parents who bring their kids along on some of these excursions. I've met some of the people at the local Ren Fest, some are whole families that bring their children, teach them to act, perform, learn an instrument (all of which I have no problem with)... But to drag them around the country when they should be in school, well hopefully they're being homeschooled, but I wonder about their social development with such a lack of normalcy, and the lack of other kids to play with.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I love going to the state's Homeschooler's convention in June. I don't homeschool, but the market is fantastic for finding educational gems for my kids (and for gifts for friends' children). I missed last year, but I try to go every year for an afternoon. Anyone else in Washington going this year? It'd be fun to meet up for lunch.

I'm thinking about going to one of the rubber stamp conventions this year. I've never been to one but thought it might a fun way to spend too much money.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Still, I have to wonder about the parents who bring their kids along on some of these excursions."

I used to wonder that about Deadhead arents who would bring their babies "on tour."

Well, many of those babies have fine jobs on Wall Street, now.

I have learned to curtail my judgment of others' decisions on how they raise their children.

We bring our kids to music festivals, and I know some people look askance at that. We also bring our son to bars where good music is playing, whenever they will let him in.

Why? Music is his "thing." He is a litle guitar prodigy. To us, it is no different than bringing a yung cellist to see the symphony, a budding baseball player to see a game.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I was the young cellist who never got to see the coolest person perform, because he only performed at bars, that wouldn't let me in [Frown]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

breyerchic, do you still play?
Have you ever heard of Hank Roberts?
He is wiiiiiild.

http://www.hankrobertsmusic.com/

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I haven't really played since high school (2 years ago).

No I haven't heard of him, I'll look into it. I was reffering to David Baker. Who lives in my town.

plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Also, I did not in any way mean to put down the communities such as you have lived in, and described before. I just couldn't live that way. Too much like a small, small town.

Oh, no offense taken. You could run up to me and kick me in the shins, Elizabeth, and I'd assume that you had a good reason for it. [Smile]

As far as communities go... they do tend to attract very creative and idealistic folks, so that keeps things interesting; and there's always folks coming to visit, and new folks joining, so that also keeps things interesting.

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to a sci-fi convention called Incon, but mainly stuck around the computer gaming room. [Wink] There was a "rave" that wasn't really good, and the premiere of a well crafted but horribly fanserviced Batman vs. Alien vs. Predator fanfilm. Hm, redundancy.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

A friend of mine was in a Ren Faire for a couple summers when she was in high school; she had a fun time, the community among the actors was great.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"As far as communities go... they do tend to attract very creative and idealistic folks, so that keeps things interesting; and there's always folks coming to visit, and new folks joining, so that also keeps things interesting."

I think you hit the nail on the head for me, Plaid.
I think it is the general intensity that would wear me down.
I like diversity, and by that i do not necessarily mean ethnic diversity, but intellectual/spiritual diversity as well.
I am pretty idealistic, and generally creative. But I like to have people around who are more grounded in reality. Reality? that isn;t what I mean. More like realism?
Does that make any sense at all?
I think I would go to a community to get stoked up, but I would like to take that ith me into the bigger world.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
i really like music festivals. i love Austin City Limits, excellent, excellent music. also, South by Southwest is a lot of fun (also in Austin). i live in Houston, so it's easy to go to the fests in austin.

I really, really, really, really, (insert millions of 'really's here), want to go to Bonnaroo. It sounds absolutely amazing. I feel almost the same about Burning Man, but i have heard better things about Bonnaroo.

I also used to go on a lot of mission trips with the church my family was involved in. i'm not terribly religious, but i love to help people and that is an excellent way to do it and get to know a few people in the process.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.