FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All who have to commute, I sympathize (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: All who have to commute, I sympathize
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
How long do you commute to work/school?

I commute 20 minutes each way (40 minutes round trip)... if I actually went the speed limit it would be...1 hour round trip [Embarrassed] , but 2 days of the week I have to drive twice.

I found out my dad has to drive 2 hours round trip for his new job [Eek!] . (which is why I am not complaining anymore)

All I have to say is..the radio is my friend. [Smile]

[ March 28, 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually 30 min in the morning and 45 min home at night. It's really painful... especially when 880 is a parking lot...

Of course, if I get to go home tonight my commute will be really short due to the small number of people on the road this time of night...

(unless I'm stuck here so long they shut down 880 where they're working on the 237 interchange tonight...)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I get to include dropping-off-kids-in-carpool-lane/parking-to-pick-up-kids time? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
One job I commuted 45-60 minutes each way, depending on traffic. The other job the commute was 20-30 minutes, but it was an outreach job, so I was driving all day. It sucked. [Frown]

My school commute is either 2 minutes (if I don't hit a red light) or 45 minutes (to the other campus near the coast).

What's REALLY sad is that it takes 45 minutes to find a parking spot at the main campus that's already 45 minutes away.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
My school is 20 minutes away in the morning and 10 min in the afternoon, and 5 minutes any other time of the day. Ya...the traffic is horrible in the mornings.
My parents have a 30-40 min round trip to work, and most people in my area have to drive 45 miles (with insane traffic)to work every day.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I walk fifteen minutes to campus. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*refrains from posting*
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in college (undergraduate) my commute was 60 minutes each way with traffic, 40 minutes if there was no traffic. I typically fought traffic in the morning, but I often waited to go home until after the traffic was gone.

When I was in high school, my commute was 20 minutes each way. At Oak Ridge, it was like 10 or 15 minutes each way. At Clemson it was maybe 10 minutes each way. At my old job in Miami, it was about 20-25 minutes each way.

At my current job, between taking Cor and the girls to school, driving to Planet Smoothie for breakfast, and then to work, maybe 15 minutes. If I go straight, maybe five minutes. [Big Grin]

I have seen the evil that is commuting and worked to rid it from my life. [Big Grin]

-o-

I rather seriously doubt that you can shave 20 minutes from a 60 minute commute by speeding. How fast are you going? 90 all the way?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we lived out of town for a year and a half and commuted 20-30 minutes to school, work, and any chance of a social life. It sucked. Especially in the winter and the deer-running-suicidally-across-the-road season. We learned our lesson, and we haven't lived more than 2 miles from work/school/social life since then. Sure, we don't have a real yard, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
In good traffic, 15-20 minutes each way. Rarely I will be going in rush hour ( usually I go against traffic..I am heading toward Seattle at about 5 PM)and then it can take 30-45 minutes.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy and I commute about 30 minutes each way. It'd be shorter, but she works on the north side -- across town -- and on campus, which means we have to put up with student traffic. As the crow flies, it's probably only a 12 mile trip.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive 58 miles round trip everyday. It's a 55 minute drive in the mornings, 45 in the evening. If there's an accident- add twenty to thirty minutes. There's usually an accident at least once a week.

I'm looking for a new job [Big Grin]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I walk all the way out to the living room. But the computer room (and thus Hatrack) is on the way, so it's like 45 minutes each way or so.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I go 70mph in 60mph speed limit.. everyone else goes about that fast, and it's 40 minutes round trip so that's 10 minutes each way off the time if I speed. [Evil Laugh] <first time I ever used the evil laught)

Edit: [ROFL] Thats sweet Papa moose.

[ March 28, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
in good traffic going 10 over the speed limit it's 20 minutes to and from school.

Same thing about the traffic and what not it's about 10 minutes to work. Work is halfway to school for me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

If you go 70 mph for forty minutes, that suggests a distance of approximately 47 miles. If you would do that same commute at 60 mph, it would take you under 47 minutes, round trip. Seriously, it's pretty much impossible to save time on a short distance commute by speeding. If you were driving across state, maybe, or if you were running stop signs and lights. But speeding alone has a negligible impact on your commute time.

Say you have a 40 mile commute at an average speed of 60 mph. If you leave 5 minutes late, you need to average nearly 70 mph to make up for lost time. If you leave 10 minutes late, you need to average 80 miles per hour. If you leave 15 minutes late, you need to average over 95 miles per hour to make it on time.

But all of that assumes highway conditions, and most people's commutes are under stop and go circumstances, which makes the speed differentials necessary to gain time even more unrealistic.

[/nerd]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I take public transportation every day, and it's 65 minutes door to door in the morning, 70 at night (because of the time spent waiting for my train to leave the downtown station). Both those times include the 7 minutes to walk from my home to the suburban station and the approximately 25 minutes from Union Station to my office - which leaves me just about a half hour each way to stitch, read, play games on my Palm Pilot, or nap.

Oh, and if I were to drive (which I have done on occasion but reluctantly so) a minimum of 75 minutes inbound. Outbound varies widely based on time and route and weather and the whims of the traffic gods.

[ March 28, 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

That's interesting that public transportation actually gets you there faster . . . I reckon that's a good incentive to use it.

[ March 28, 2005, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Opera has about a 40 minute trip each way. That is, till next week, when it will become technically a 1 hr. and 40 minute trip due to the fact that Louisville switches one hour ahead and our hometown doesn't. [Wink] He'll leave work an hour "earlier" though, so that will be nice!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, that's weird Space opera!

I've got 40 minutes each way...and I can't wait until I find out where I'll be working so I can move into an apartment RIGHT NEXT DOOR! [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim has to stop and pray on his way to work, but even including that, it's only a 12 foot walk. Into the living room. I wish I could be funny like Papa Moose. [Grumble] Me, on the other hand, is a fourteen foot walk. I use the far side of the couch. [Big Grin] Ergonomics, be damned! [Evil]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
90 minutes one way [Grumble]

I was trying to move out last year, but couldn't find a roommate. And this year I decided I can't afford it if I want to have any vacation at all.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hour and a half one way, if traffic's good.

I read a lot in the car.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

while driving?

--

I read on the bus, but I'm always running out of books.

[ March 29, 2005, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I read in the underground (one hour each day) and I'm so happy my station is just in front of a library [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I take the bus, it's about an hour there and about an hour and a half home [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got about a 20 minute commute when there's no traffic, and I work at odd times so there will be no traffic. This summer, however, I'll be taking the long way instead of the freeway, so I can ride my bike along the Mississippi. It's only a little longer, but the speed limits are lower, and it's a much prettier drive. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Audio book, silly.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
My commute is about 50 minutes one way. Can be more depending on traffic. I go in early and leave early so I usually beat rush hour. If I didn't it would be a little over an hour each way.

Oddly, that has been my normal commute to this job when I lived in downtown Baltimore, Glen Burnie (a suburb south of Baltimore) and now in Hanover, PA. In the city I was taking the subway and either walking or biking to/from the stations. In Glen Burnie I was driving on the beltway which is nuts in the morning and afternoon. My commute from PA is actually about 10 miles longer than it was from Glen Burnie, but I can make it in about the same time due to lighter traffic.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
When I work (which I don't do enough anymore) I've conveniently set up my workstation within about 4 inches of my bed. Now that's convenience!

My commute though is between 2 and 2.5 miles by bike. Which is pretty short, under 10 minutes (well about 10 minutes or sometimes even 15 on the way home, I'm not affected by traffic but hills [Laugh] ), of course my commute is fun, exciting and invigorating, I feel sorry for all you car people. [Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

but can you say you "read" an audiobook?

and who's silly now, huh? huh?

Hobbes
Member # 433

With the years I'm adding onto my life by biking instead of driving, not to mention the money I'm saving, of course! [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is about 40 miles from my farm to work in downtown.

But I don't mind it at all (other than the price of gas). That commute time is about my only quiet time during the day. Time for reflection, meditation, prayer, or listening to news radio. At present, my son commutes with me, and I drop him at college before coming into work, so it is our one-on-one time together (although in the mornings he usually sleeps on the way in -- he only talks on the way home).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
My commute is fourteen miles, on roads through town. It is thirty minutes if I leave at 8:45 in the morning, and an hour home if I leave at 5:00. It's 23 minutes if there is no traffic and the lights are working in my favor.

I used to go on the freeway, but I kept ramming people with my car. Now, the stops are conducted by lights and everything is much happier.

I listen to books in the car, plus lectures from The Teaching Company. I love them.

I feel sorry for me car person, too, Hobbes. I loved it when all I owned was a bike with a basket on the back, and that was all I needed. I need a car now, though. Everything is too far apart, and the metro isn't to where I can go everywhere on it yet.

[ March 29, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My commute now is the shortest it's been since college--10 minutes, or 20 if the traffic is absolutely horrible. My longest commute was probably about 80 minutes each way. Like Farmgirl, though, I never minded it--at first I was commuting in with my best friend from kindergarten through grad school, so of course that was fun, and then after his job's hours changed I was getting some extra time by myself, which was fun also.

In college my longest commute was a half hour from door to parking lot, and my shortest was five minutes from door to classroom (in grad school I happened onto a fantastic house that was literally minutes from campus. There was a downside--the landlord lived next door and watched us with a telescope--but I enjoyed living there nonetheless.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I don't mind it at all (other than the price of gas). That commute time is about my only quiet time during the day. Time for reflection, meditation, prayer, or listening to news radio.
I'm with you Farmgirl - I used to enjoy my commute too when I worked. On the way home it was a chance for me to bring myself from the working self to the Mommy self and have time to decompress before I picked up the kids.

As for now - I have about a 25 minute commute to the one class I take on campus. My online classes require me to walk downstairs to the computer. [Big Grin] I do manage to always check on my classes before I check hatrack, though.

When I start at UAB in the fall, it will be about 30 minutes, more if the traffic is heavy, which it can be. I'll probably allow an hour, to take in account parking and walking to my first class.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my current commute: 15 minutes in heavy traffic and if I hit every stoplight. But for part of '02 and all of '03 I was taking the 405 from Huntington Beach up into El Segundo. About 36 miles each way, which was about 75 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the evening. And that was only after I started going in later to miss the real rush hour. And, of course, from time to time it would take three hours to get there because of some giant accident.

Edit: corrected the dates.

[ March 29, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment, my commute is about 20-25 mins each way. On days when I'm working at a customer's site, I usually have an additional 20-45 minute commute (depending on when I have to be where) each way.

We are moving our offices this week and, unfortunately, my commute will now be 40-45 mins from the house to the office.

I guess it's a good thing I've got an MP3 player in the truck. [Smile]

[ March 29, 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could bike to work...

Trip is about 15 miles, each way, so about 30 miles/day for the work commute. It usually takes about 15 minutes if there's no Oopsies on the interstate. I can take the side roads if I-35 has a problem, and that can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes, depending on stoplights. I allot 30 minutes for my commute in the morning, to assure I arrive on time.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My commute is seven minutes--twelve if I stop for food. [Smile]

Last semester, though, it was three minutes; my first class was in the building across the street from my dorm. [Razz]

I do feel everyone's pain--I come from the Bay Area. One family friend commuted 3 hours each way so his kid couuld live in a house with a yard. Crazy.

The Pixiest, I'm guessing you go from San Jose to Fremont, or perhaps Oakland?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It takes me a lot longer to get ready for the day's work than it does for me to get there. [Razz]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my commute. Not too shabby.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
My house is two miles from my work, and yet I still drive it every day [Embarrassed] Now that the weather's getting nice I'm starting to feel seriously guilty about that, hopefully I'll start walking it at least some of the time soon. It's convenient to have the car with me so I can run errands after work, but that can be worked around.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I bet you look cute on a bike with a basket Kat, it's a shame you can't do that anymore. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially since my bike was stolen two years ago. Dumb city crime rate. It's no fun without mountains anyway.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot abide being stuck in traffic. And, much as I love and rely on public transportation, I loathe waiting for it. When I was in Toronto it was a 20-30 minutes going to or coming from (not including waiting for the darn bus) or about an hour and a half walking. 9 days out of 10 I hoofed it. Here in Waterloo I'm a paltry 15-minute walk from campus, and probably about the same to drive.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
80-90 minutes one-way.

Morning:
14 minute walk
Casual carpool ride to downtown
Streetcar
12 minute walk

Evening:
Shuttle bus
BART ride
22 minute walk

Or if it isn't the fall or spring semester then I have a 12 minute walk + bus ride to get to BART.

This is how I get all my reading done and a little bit of exercise [I walk at a brisk pace].

EDIT: Driving would be faster but just as expensive and it would drive me completely crazy.

[ March 29, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Laugh] Why do I feel like this thread is starting to sound like SimCity 4?
I drive about 20 minutes to and from work (add five to the return trip if I hit traffic).

My favorite commute ever was about a 30 minute drive over Sardine Canyon to USU. I really do appreciate time to myself, and the scenery was to die for. I get pangs of nostalgia for that time even though I didn't have a very good time at school that semester. Besides, my least favorite part about commuting is the traffic, and that was never really an issue in Sardine.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

quote:
Seriously, it's pretty much impossible to save time on a short distance commute by speeding. .. But speeding alone has a negligible impact on your commute time.

Yeah this morning I went the speed limit because there was a police man going our way and everyone was obeying the speed limit. I noticed there wasn't much of a difference in how much time I got there.
Thanks Icarus I am a retard at math.
I think I'll try to obey the speed limit from now on, or at least only go 5 over. [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

[Smile]

If you're going to be a scofflaw, be an educated one. [Smile] Speed because it's fun, not because it gets you there faster! [Big Grin]

-o-

I used to haul butt everywhere. I stopped, as much as anything else, because it occurred to me that at that point in my financial career, I simply could not afford the insurance hit if I got a ticket. I'm sure I could deal with it now, but now going five over the limit is simply habit.

The stops are what kills your time more than anything else, but running stop signs and lights, much more so than merely speeding, is plum dangerous.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.