FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Telp, you and I are the only ones awake! (Now known as the kishke thread) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Telp, you and I are the only ones awake! (Now known as the kishke thread)
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm bored.

How was your day today? [Smile]

[ March 16, 2005, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not real? I'm not real. *poof!*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yay, quid's alive too! And how was YOUR day? [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
heheh wow!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been fighting against depression as of late... *sigh*

But a friend came over and we watched some great anime so I feel better. [Smile]

My 28th birthday is this Friday... maybe that's why I'm feeling blue. Heh.. that and my poverty. [Wink] AND I have to work a double on my b-day! Oooo.. that sucks... [Frown]

[Smile]

[ March 16, 2005, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Awww, Telp, I'm sorry to hear that! [Frown] Anything you'd like to vent about? *hug*
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

...read my edit... [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I also went through a million pictures today to scan into the computer... sent them to mack and ...um... what's-her-name... the foobonic gal... so hopefully I'll have my pics up for Hatrack to see at last. [Smile]

But I couldn't for the life of me find my sexy goth pictures!! I look so good in those too! *pouts* Ah well... hopefully they'll turn up somewhere.

[ March 16, 2005, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been snowflaking and stuff. Well, really, it all started with me sorting out my writing files into damaged and good (there was a bug in the program Fahim wrote for me for my writing that caused data to disappear). After I did that, I started snowflaking a new story - the one I mentioned to you last night.

I did some cooking - curried peppers, fish, and rice for lunch - and a load of laundry.

Then I resumed snowflaking, and then eventually gave up when that same program lost more of my data. Now I'm waiting for Fahim to fix the program so I can keep on using it.

Good thing I have backups, so the data really isn't lost. It's just that I'm not willing to work with a program when I *know* it's going to lose data for me. Sigh.

But the story - I have a good premise. Distinctly different from that other one to the point of having only one single element in common. So, I'm happy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

((Raia))
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Snowflaking?
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Happy birthday!! Can't you get the day off work? And [The Wave] to Telp pictures!

Quid, that's awesome. I wish I could cook. [Big Grin]

(edit: (((Telpy))) [Smile] )

[ March 16, 2005, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah. It's a writing thing. Good for plot & character development. You can find it here. [Big Grin]

Raia, anyone can cook. It just takes practice.

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, talk about speed posting. That's pretty cool.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

It's funny, quid... I can make really complicated things, like empanadas, and cholent (which very few people, even Jews, know how to make)... but I can't boil pasta. [Blushing]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I can eat pasta
Raia
Member # 4700

[Eek!]

Me too!

Are we related?

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. Pasta sounds so good right now.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Practice, practice, practice. And incentive. If you really want to learn how to make pasta, you'll do it.

What the heck is cholent, anyway? [Dont Know]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Mom made a glut load of spagetti... Mmmmm..
*eats some right now*

Raia
Member # 4700

Cholent is a traditional Jewish dish. The reason is that it cooks for 24 hours in the oven, which means that religious Jews, who can't cook on the sabbath, can make in on friday, put it in the oven, and have a hot meal the following day.

Unfortunately, it's an art that has sort of dwindled. But my mom makes it sometimes, and taught me how. [Smile] It's one of my favorite dishes, it's soo good!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, okay, but. . . What is it, what's in it, and do you have a recipe? [Dont Know] Curious, I guess. But it sounds like just the thing for sabbath.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Mmmmm... black sabbath!

Muwahahah! [Evil Laugh]

Raia
Member # 4700

I don't have a recipe where I am now, I have one at my parents' house, but I can get it to you next time I'm there, if you want. It's basically a huge pot roast, it's meat (we usually use corned beef), and potatoes, and hard boiled eggs (which are so good, because they're cooked for 24 hours, so they're brown on the inside, and it's delicious), and kishke (trust me, you don't want to know what that is... you can't get it outside of Israel anyway, just believe me when I say it tastes good), and barley, and lima beans, and kidney beans, and seasoning. Stuff like that.

It's the most delicious thing ever.

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very good! kinda like sushi - I never really know what's in that either.

Eggs sound muchly interesting too! I love hard-boiled eggs [Smile] Tea-boiled and 'thousand-year-old' eggs are also very good.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Smile]

Ok... I'm off to bed. Take care guys!

[Group Hug]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm awake, too, and since a pretty long time - only, there was too much students so I didn't dare to post [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Goodnight Telp!

And hello Anna! [Wave]

Anna
Member # 2582

Good night Telp !
Hello, everybody else ! For now my day is not what I would like it to be. I catched a big cold and I feel like crap. i'm glad I don't work this afternoon, some reste will do me good.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Goodnight, Telp, and hello, Anna!

Raia, it sounds good, but now I'm curious about those other things - kishke. Can't help it, it's my nature. [Big Grin] C'mon, tell me. You know you want to. . .

Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe... do I? [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Hail] Please?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Found it!

Linky
quote:
KISHKE (STUFFED DERMA)

1/2 lb Beef liver
1/2 lb Beef lung (optional)
1/4 lb Ground beef
2 c Raw rice, rinsed & drained
1 T Fresh coriander, chopped
2 t Salt
1 t Pepper, or to taste
3 -ft large intestine of beef
- well cleaned and
- prepared for stuffing
4 ea Ribs of celery, halved
-horizontally
1/3 c Onion, sliced
3 ea Bay leaves
1 t Peppercorns
4 qt Clear beef stock

1. Char the liver over charcoal or under a gas or electric broiler to
kosher. Cut the liver into 1/4-inch cubes. If used, boil the lung in
water for 1/2 hour. Cool and cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together well the liver, lung (optional),
ground beef, rice, coriander, salt, and pepper. Sew up one end of the
intestine (derma) and stuff -- not too tightly since the rice will expand.
Sew up the opening.
3. On the bottom of a large pan, put the celery, onion, bay leaves, and
peppercorns. Pour in the clear beef stock. Bring to a boil over moderate
heat and add the stuffed casting. Half-cover the pan and reduce the heat
to low. Cook for about 45 minutes or more, until the skin is tender.
Serve the kishke warm, sliced. Remove the bay leaves and serve the
clear soup separately. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Well, I don't much like brains, and liver, I only like when it's liverwurst, but intestines? Never had it. Lungs neither. I have a hard time seeing either as appealing. [Dont Know]
Raia
Member # 4700

Kishke is just the intestines... I'm not sure what the rest of that is all about it... I guess some people make stuffed kishke!
Anna
Member # 2582

I have a really easy and delicious recipe.
For every person, you need : 1 chicken escalope, a little goat cheese, half a red pepper.
You cut the escalope in two parts horizontally. You put the bottom part on an aluminium sheet. You cover it with little bits of goat cheese. You cover it with the other half of the escalope and half a red pepper. Put it in the oven, Th 270°C for about half an hour. It takes no time to do and it's really yummy and presents well !

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wouldn't advise eating a dish containing brains: the infectious agent which causes MadCows disease isn't destroyed by cooking. Weighing the pleasure against the risk is always ones own decision to make, but vCJD is a nasty that I find to be on the extreme opposite of what I would ever want to happen to me. I'd prefer being eaten by wolverines over it.

However, chitlins/chitterlings/chiterlynges are made from cleaned intestines, as are the casings containing the meat&etc of the better sausages. I'm sure there are many traditional foods which use them; and tripe, which can be either the fat lining the intestines or a specific part of a ruminant's (such as an ox) stomach.

And lungs are known euphemisticly as lights, and are also contained in pluck.

Ya know, the more I think about what's in good sausages and certain other traditional foods, the more I wish I didn't know.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That is the very reason, aspectre, why I wasn't going to mention it. [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, brain doesn't appeal much to me, either. *insert puking smilie here*
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
what language is kishke? Jidish? Cause it's almost exactly the same word in Polish (meaning both the intestines and the dish) and I wonder which language it originated from. (i.e. is it originally Polish or not).
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

actually, kiszka would be the same thing as blood sausage, I think.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

and I answer my own question:

quote:
ETYMOLOGY: Yiddish, from Russian kishka, intestine.
[Smile]
Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe, I was about to answer it for you... yes, it's Yiddish. My spelling was phonetic, it may be spelled differently.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess some people make stuffed kishke!
Raia, you're Jewish. You live in a Jewish community. OF COURSE SOME PEOPLE MAKE STUFFED KISHKE. (That was a yell, sorry.)

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, they don't in my family, schmegeg! [Razz]

And we don't make cholent because we're religious, but because we like it. So there.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I just eat 70 pieces of Pulke.

All you Yanks make me seem like an outsider; so now all those with non-Jewish cultre are left outside. Hehe.

Religion hit back! *Claps Raia and R/r- (oops, *wink*!) -ivka's hands.*

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

70 pieces?! How do you stay so skinny?! O_O

I like pulke. Yum. Jonny, you're making me hungry! I might stop by the minhala soon for food, but quickly, before they close. Oh, wait, I have class. Oops.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
(Hapful Birthday Telp)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
How do you stay so skinny?!
I'm not skinny. I am at least 70 KG, and only 1.75 at height. 46-size shoes, but a real, delightful stomach.

And it's only 2 pulkalach and one chicken-boob. Amongst rice, that is.

That's shabbat evening. For lunch usually pasta. (Bullocks to salad!)

What do you have for Shabbat?

JH

Raia
Member # 4700

It differs every time! [Smile]

And I love salad, btw... but I love pasta too. And of course, pulkalach. And... many other things. Hehe. I like to eat.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Mmmmmm... brains.

Eating all the organs isn't that bad... as long as you cook them and dice them up nice... it'll be just like turkey stuffing! [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.