FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well of My Belly, Maw of My Mouth -- Now with [super-secret, shhhh!] experimentation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Well of My Belly, Maw of My Mouth -- Now with [super-secret, shhhh!] experimentation
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good grief. Every dang month like clockwork, I turn into a ravening beast and lose my finely-honed self control.

I'm working at my desk, and I was unable to hear myself think over the growling of a ragingly hungry tummy. Now -- a can of Coke, some cheese pretzel Combos, and a packet of roasted cashews (my "high C" diet) later -- I am finally able to grunt contentedly and approach my writing through a stuporous veil of satisfaction. Temporarily.

Are there any other Jatrequeras who turn into Munchwomen at the passing of the moon?

[ March 21, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I turn into a ravening beast and lose my finely-honed self control.

[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Fat and salt, predominantly. More than I ever, ever want them otherwise.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'll have you know, little Mr. twinky, that I have been veerry disciplined as of late. Carefully planned, nutrient-dense meals, with snacks of herbal tea and dry whole-grain crispbread. A slight handful of nuts or plain yogurt in the early afternoon.

And then I ate Manhattan. Greasy, fatty, crunchy Manhattan. I didn't even offer to share it with ElJay.

*burp

*eyes Brooklyn

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I do eat more, but not substantially more. This thread is actually really helpful. It just reminded me that I need to get in to see the doctor. I have only had one period in the 3 months since the end of the shots.(btw No chance of pregnancy)
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*wonders if Allegra would object to being deep-fried and dipped in wasabi

[Wink]

Are you at the extreme bottom of the BMI scale, or have you been unusually stressed? I, too, think it's a good idea to get it checked out. Glad you are being careful with yourself.

[ March 11, 2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Allegra
Member # 6773

If you can catch me you can try it out. I am not really fast normally but if I smelled the oil hot and ready to go I would manage.

BMI is not an issue, I think I am around 28. I have been really stressed though. I am even getting stress headaches. Couldn't it also be from the shots?

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that too, and the BMI says that I'm obese. (eyes BMI with violence in her stare) They'll probably just give you birth control.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

'Sokay, CT, I'm not at a place where Manhattan would have sounded appealing.

I like wasabi, though, so if you manager to catch Allegra and feel like sharing...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... this months vice was Girl Scout Cookies. I demolished a whole box of Carmel Delights singlehandedly...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ahhh. You, perhaps, meant birth control shots? I was thinking "Allegra" = "allergy medicine," and with ElJay getting her allergy shots recently, I got confused. [Blushing]

So sure, if you have just finished DepoProvera or something, that might well be it. My take awhile to get normalized.

Ryuko! [Wave]

Allegra
Member # 6773

I never did it before I went on the shot. I have my period for 6 years with 2 unusual periods. The first one as well as one one the next year. Freakishly regular actually.

If anyone manages to catch me I would recommend my thighs, but not my ribs. My thighs have plenty of meat to go around, but my ribs wouldn't have enough to be worth it.

Edit: Yep I did. Probably should have clarified. [Smile]

[ March 11, 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I just eat twice as much at meals. Or twice as many meals.

Sometimes I make myself a nice lunch, and then half an hour later it's like I haven't even eaten, so I go and make another one.

Fortunately that phase only lasts about three days.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

CT! [Wave]

I think I eat more for that frame of time, but I can't really be sure, since I have such freakishly irregular periods.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Vile Girl Scouts! *shakes fist

I snarfed down half my box of Scot Teas since they were delivered yesterday. Of course, this has been supplemented by honey-roasted peanuts and dark chocolate, so I was able to drag my feet a bit. *happy

Well,ElJay, you could join me for some tempura and sushi. It's, uh, mostly healthy. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually want more chinese food, which is saying a lot, because I always want chinese food.

By the way, I want to be Sara when I grow up.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

One thing that I have noticed around my period is uh.....noticing the opposite sex more. I walk through the halls at school and see an attractive guy and I just want to shove him up against my locker and have my way with him. Maybe this is just me though. [Blushing]
Annie
Member # 295

I've actually been sugar-free for five days now and have almost gotten to the point where I can close the cabinet door where the thin mints reside without too much residual bitterness.

And Allegra... it's not just you. A... friend of mine says the same thing.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Actually, I just finished off some biscotti with a Thai coffee, and I have two clementines and some dried figs sitting on my desk, so I think I'm good.

Thanks all the same... and sushi is very good for you, lots of protein. The tempura we'll just overlook. [Big Grin]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

All drives on overdrive. [Smile]

(Hey, Annie, thanks. [Blushing] )

dkw, that's how it works for me, too. And then for a week I'm not interested in eating at all.

Eljay: Sweet. [Cool]

[ March 11, 2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yes indeedy. I agree with Allegra.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Actually during your period, Allegra & Annie's "friend?" For me it's the week before.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think of it as my body's monthly last-ditch attempt to get pregnant.

"Rational mind? To heck with you! Gimme gimme gimme not much chance left gimme gimme ...

Of course, I need extra stuffing to provide nutrients for the (nonexistant) coming baby, so let's rip through a few bags of chips and some nice calorie-laden ice cream while we're at it."

[Roll Eyes]

[ March 11, 2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Allegra
Member # 6773

Yeah, which does seem odd.
ElJay
Member # 6358

My, what a raging estrogen thread. [Smile] Sweet.
Annie
Member # 295

Yeah, usually the few days right before.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

How can we all be cycling together? Can phermones be transmitted over the internet??
[Wink]
AJ

[ March 11, 2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I think many of us are commiserating, not actually cycling at the moment. At least, I am. I am happily past my city-eating point for the month.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

hmmm... I'm not quite past mine...

AJ

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are there any other Jatrequeras who turn into Munchwomen at the passing of the moon?"

Uh, yup. Cheese and salt for me. Give me a bag of tortilla chips and some Que Bueno(basically that cheese sauce in a jar you find near the salsa), and I am a little piggie in yellow, salt-laden, saturated fat mud.

GirlScout cookies? Thin mints by the sleeve, or Tagalongs by the box.

Sad, sad.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that's great for all of you people with menstrual cycles, but what's *my* excuse for having had an insatiable appetite for chocolate, salt and fat just lately? Hmmmm?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Estrogen surge, Noeman?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think of it as my body's monthly last-ditch attempt to get pregnant.

"Rational mind? To heck with you! Gimme gimme gimme not much chance left gimme gimme ...

That reminds me of this LJ entry, which I found and added to my memories long ago, because it's just priceless.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[ROFL]

Good night, Stray, that is hilarious! I looked for an excerpt to post, but it's all just priceless. So, randomly:

quote:
(From Reproductive Cycle: The Play)

A large number of colorful characters, the Hormones, are marching through the system.

Hormones: The egg! The egg is coming! Listen unto us as we foretell the coming of the egg!

Hormones march on the Reptilian Hind Brain (RHB).

Hormones: Awake! Awake and prepare for the coming of the egg!

RHB: Huh? What?

Hormones: The egg is coming! There has been a great quivering in the uterus and a light was seen to glow from the ovary! An egg shall be born in but a few days!

RHB: Okay. So what do you want from me?

Some of the newer hormones are waiving banners, reading "X marks the spot!" and "a Y is for YES!".

RHB: Oh. Sex.

Hormones: Yes, please, and soon!

RHB: Gotcha. Okay, let me look.

Hormones: YAY!

Hormones start dancing.

RHB: Okay, we've spotted a brown-haired guy with good cheekbones -

Different groups of hormones start cheering with each description.

Hormone group: YAY! We'll take him!

RHB: A juggler, a musician, a cute blonde girl, someone in a long coat, I can't really tell from behind-

Hormones: The egg wants them all!

[ March 11, 2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all so true. o_O

Right now, I think my uterus is trying to kill me from the inside. Because of how wonky the BC has made everything, I've now been bleeding for well over a week. [Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
For a couple days a month I even wake thinking of food. "What can I eat? How long will it take to make it? Where are those pop-tarts???"
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm....maybe that's why I've had the munchies lately!

*wanders off in search of a calendar*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, for a second I thought that Bean Counter was somehow messing with your period.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be wrong on SO many levels.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong, yes, but what does Space Opera have to do with it?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Wall Bash]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I take my daughter to breakfast before early band rehearsal on Fridays now. This morning, i dreamed i ate the breakfast. I woke up thinking how good it tasted.

If only I could market dream meals that were satisfying upon awakening, i would be a trillionaire!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing that I have noticed around my period is uh.....noticing the opposite sex more. I walk through the halls at school and see an attractive guy and I just want to shove him up against my locker and have my way with him. Maybe this is just me though. [Blushing]
Nope, not just you, Allegra [Wink] Although for me it is at the end, or the few days after, my cycle.

But my cycle really sucks now that I've entered the perimenopausal era. Like 12 to 15 days long cycles, heavy cycles - feel like I'm dying. But I live. And I realize that is all TMI.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

No, no. There really is something wrong for how long and how much we bleed, and don't die.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, ...and to get back to the topic of food..

when I have that little urge that Allegra talks about? I just go get a chocolate bar or something until the urge passes...

I figure better fat than pregnant [Big Grin]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If the sex drive and desire to eat increase during that time of the month, does that mean they'll be suppressed if one were to take birth control pills?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I wish.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making my cravings act up. Oh, and let me again voice my thoughts that I am soooo glad I am not a woman. Kudos to you all for having to deal with it.

Jamie has the food channel on now.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Rachel Ray just screwed up shepherd's pie. I'm sorta shocked. o_O
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's chocolate. Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. And other sugary carbohydrated sweet good for nothings. [Big Grin] It usually kicks in a day or two before my period begins - reliable enough that, when I remember it (dang, but I have a lousy memory!), it reminds me that my period is due, and the chocolate cravings stay with me until my period is over.

So, perimenopause question. Well, maybe. Or I could just Google it. I wonder what the symptoms are or otherwise how you know you've entered it and how long it lasts. Feel free to discuss if you're in the mood. Or not. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.