FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I ain't comin' home (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I ain't comin' home
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't turning back it's my time to fly
Too many decisions and not enough time
But I always did like the thrill of living in the unknown
So pucker up mama 'cause I

I ain't comin' home

[Big Grin]

[ March 08, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Should we take this as another "I'm getting married and moving to NZ" thread? [Razz]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Nope. The move has already happened. I'm set up in my new digs in southern Ontario, and start work on Monday.

(Well, I'm not fully set up or anything, I still need more furniture and have a lot of stuff strewn everywhere that needs to be put away. But the stuff is all here now. [Razz] )

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
What part of Southern Ontario?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Sarnia. Right across the St. Clair river from Michigan.

(And, heavens be praised, I have broadband again!)

[ March 08, 2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Congratulations.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever make it over to Detroit would you come visit me? It's about 5-6 hours to Detroit from Chicago.

AJ
http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?csz=Sarnia%2C+Ontario&country=ca

[ March 08, 2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Absolutely, AJ. [Smile]

I will also be coming to Chicago at some point, a friend of mine is doing his PhD there.

saxon75
Member # 4589

Apparently it's about a hundred km or so from where I would be the next time I'm up there.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Score! Keep me posted. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay that you got all moved. (Yeah, today is a good grammar day.)
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Will do. Although, I most likely won't be up that way for some time.
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]

fiazko, you'll be getting email from me about the prints soon. [Smile]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Which company in Sarnia? (my father grew up there)
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It's at the synthetic rubber plant that was until recently part of Bayer (and had like ten jillion other owners before that). Bayer spun off its worldwide synthetic rubber divison into a separate company last year, and that's who I'll be working for.
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey twinky, I'm in Ottawa. If you ever wanna get together and do something, lemme know. [Smile]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

So's Teshi, I think. We could have ourselves a little Con. [Smile]
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Near Imperial Ave?
(Is it Lanxess? I seem to remember my great uncle mentioning it...)

[ March 08, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! TwinkyCon! OntariCon? Conada?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Lanxess indeed. [Smile]

There has already been one Hatrack.ca gathering (Pod, Jaiden, Ophelia, Bob the Lawyer, and me), and since I live between Pod and Jaiden I figure I'll get to see one or both of them when they're en route to visiting each other [Big Grin]

There's also EQ in Waterloo.

I'm sure we could put something together if we set our minds to it. [Smile]

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's also EQ in Waterloo.
Don't you mean EL?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yes, I do. I was thinking of how to spell the first word of her handle, though, and that sort of carried over when I decided to abbreviate it. [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Waaaaah!!!!! A Hatrack.ca Con and I can't go!!!!! Waaaaah!!!!! [Cry]

(I lived in Canada for 35 years, and never made it east of Manitoba. How important can Ontario be? [ROFL] )

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Funny, I've lived here for 22 of my 23 years, and was born here, and never made it west of Ontario. How important can western Canada be? [Big Grin]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with twinky. Western Ontario might as well not exist as far as my experience goes. [Razz]

Thalia (I think that was her name?) is in Hamilton, Foust is in London, Desdemona is in one of Toronto's burbs and that newbie with an "A" is here in Waterloo with me. And Telp's in Detroit which is sorta close. I mean, if you're going to list people try and be complete, y'know?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Wow, that's actually quite a few.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am from Detroit, and my parents are retiring this year to Northern MI, near Traverse City. I know that isn't too close to Sarnia, but JenniK and I are coming from MA and we cut through Canada (it has to be good for SOMETHING) to get to MI. [Evil]

Usually we go through Port Huron...gotta love the BWB, you know....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Port Huron is literally two hundred metres from my apartment.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a newbie! I've been here a whole week, guys! [/sarcasm and wishful thinking]

And see, me, I've been to Victoria, Whitehorse, a bit south of Alert, and Ottawa-Hull, covering pretty much all the corners except east. But, really, how important can out east be?? (Now quick, who's going to cover the north?)

By the way, congrats on the new place, twinky!

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Psst, Bob the Lawyer.

I am in Toronto.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I was the one who mistakenly placed you in Ottawa. *sheepish grin* I think it was because you were talking abou skating so much that I assumed you meant you would be doing it on the canal. [Razz]

Toronto is a hop, skip, and a jump. We're going to have to do this Hatrack.ca 2.0 thing, if people are interested. Are people interested?

BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in Canada, but I am just 20 minutes southeast of Toledo, Ohio *insert shy smilie*

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Wow, there are all sorts of people around. Cool. [Smile] We need to choose a place on which to converge.
Teshi
Member # 5024

twinky, the reason you think I'm an Ottawan is because I am half and half. As a student, I live in Toronto; as a non-student, I live in Ottawa. And yes, the canal is my favourite skating venue [Smile] .

If we're going to have a Toronto thing it'd better be during the school year.

EDIT: And if we're going to have an Ottawa thing, it had better NOT be during the school year.

i.e. the world must revolve around me [Wink] .

[ March 08, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

Heh heh heh [Razz]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Coooommme to Minnesota... COOOOOOMMMMMEEE to MN!!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
^ What she said.

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada, I've been as far north as Norman Wells, NWT. It's on the flight route halfway between Yellowknife and Inuvik. I've been north of the Arctic Circle. I was born in Thompson, Manitoba (12 hour train ride north of Winnipeg), lived in Fort McMurry, in northern Alberta, lived in Vancouver, BC, but I've also been to Victoria and all over the rest of Vancouver Island. And I've been all over the rest of western Canada. How important could eastern Canada be? [Dont Know]

So, whaddya figure? Is the north covered well enough with that?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
a bit south of Alert
Alert, as in Ellesmere Island? I didn't think there was much of anything between Alert and Resolute.
Astaril
Member # 7440

Quid, I actually meant no one's accused the north of being unimportant yet. But I guess it's just been ignored, which is the same difference, only passive. [Smile]

And yep, I was at Lake Hazen on Ellesmere (see very crude map here) on an archaeological dig last summer. Also stayed in Resolute for a bit. There is Grise Fiord between them though on the south end of Ellesmere, a nice little town we wound up storm-stayed in. I think it's technically the furthest north community in the country (Alert doesn't really count). But no, really not much else at all, except a few Parks Canada warden stations and a lot of tundra and mountains. And glaciers. Lots of glaciers.

*cough* So...how about that Hatrack.ca thing?

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Have I somehow been appointed organizer? [Razz]
saxon75
Member # 4589

That's awesome. I've been wanting to visit Ellesmere ever since I read The Horizontal Everest back in September.

My best chance for going north was when my aunt-in-law lived in Iqaluit, which I know is still quite far south of Resolute. I missed out, though; she moved to Regina last year.

twinky
Member # 693

Welcome To The North, indeed.
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Have I somehow been appointed organizer?
Would you like some sort of title to go with it? Because I believe there's another thread for that...

[Wink]

Astaril
Member # 7440

*points at twinky* Organizer! Organizer!

Now you have.

And saxon, I really want to read that! It's on my list. I have a bunch of pics of my trip up on the web if you're interested, though I need to fix it up a bit first and add the last bunch. Iqaluit is awesome. I immediately fell in love with it when I got there. Personally, I'd much rather live there than Resolute. Resolute is extremely desolate and depressing as far as scenery goes, though nice in its own way. It's in sad shape with suicide rates and such though. Nice people however. But Iqaluit is absolutely beautiful. Okay, I'm done now.

Edit: Another good one on the topic is Musk Ox Land, by Lyle Dick.

[ March 09, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

twinky
Member # 693

*sigh*

I'm just not sure when I'll be able to attend such a gathering... though there may be some weekends in April or May that could be put to such a use. I'd be quite happy to organize it even if I can't go. I suppose I should go start a thread or something...

saxon75
Member # 4589

My brief review of the book.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh. twinky if you can't go, of course don't feel obligated to do anything!

[Frown]

Astaril
Member # 7440

I'm sure someone else can organize if you don't want to. Or, if you do it, you could easily 'organize' it into a weekend that works for you...

And it sounds great, saxon. Other people have recommended it to me as well. The Musk Ox Land book (see edit above) is less personal, but a very interesting account of the history no less.

Wow. It's noon. I guess I should get to doing something productive today for school. See you all later... [Wave]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.