FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doing anything special for Valentine's Day? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doing anything special for Valentine's Day?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I have no boyfriend/manfriend/significant other, or love interest.

So I want to hear about everyone else's plans for Valentine's Day -- so I can sit here and sigh and wish and envy......

Let's hear it! What are you doing for your "special someone"?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably make him truffle brownies (just got a recipe) and cut them into heart shapes.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We're dressing up (okay, he's just staying dressed up) and going out for dinner. Possibly without the baby, we don't know.

Mmmmm, Indian food. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll clean my basement.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably eating brownies and then cutting Lindsay into heart shapes.

after dinner of course

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is having a procedure done at Hopkins, the glow from the radioactive dye is very romantic.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
or maybe we'll go see Hope For agoldensummer after dinner. choices choices
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
My wife is having a procedure done at Hopkins, the glow from the radioactive dye is very romantic.
Sounds like she will need extra special treament after that....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, thanks for the reminder, Farmgirl.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Yeah...maybe some chocolates or something [Wink]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue, we haven't discussed having any plans.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be celebrating Arizona Statehood day instead of that other holiday. That's right, on February 14th, 1912, Arizona became a state. [The Wave] Does anyone else want to join in the celebration?

The only thing that mars the festive mood, is that 1912 is the year the Titanic sank. [Frown]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
We're dropping the kid off with the grandparents and staying at the Portofino Hotel at Universal over the weekend. It's been quite a while since we did anything like this.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The first of three gifts for Eve arrived today. The rest should appear tomorrow.

No specific plans, although I'll likely cook something special. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Three gifts?!?

You newlyweds make the rest of look bad. [Grumble]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Dagonee, who's Eve? Lovely name. My daughter's middle name is Eve.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Eve's my wife. She posts (occasionally) as bunbun.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've made my CD of cheesy romantic songs and will mail it in a card. [Frown] My honey lives in Honolulu, so I won't get to see him until President's Day weekend... we wait for long weekends to see each other usually.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only thing that mars the festive mood, is that 1912 is the year the Titanic sank.
That's like saying you can't celebrate your birthday because <insert tragedy here> happened in the same year!

That means practically everyone in the world can't celebrate their birthday!

I'm not doing anything special, except perhaps reading (reading weeeeeek!) and sleeping ( [Sleep] ). I keep mixing up Valentines Day and April Fools Day, which I think is particularly amusing.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
In the morning we're doing pre-marital counseling and in the afternoon I have my final interview and oral examination with the board of ordained ministry. Assuming I survive, we'll probably go out for dinner afterwards.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
For Valentine's Day you're having an oral examination?
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have my final interview and oral examination with the board of ordained ministry
I was confused for a minute; I was thinking of a dental exam by ministers.

I must be sleep-deprived again.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Dana, is that so you can be ordained?
dkw
Member # 3264

Yep. The UMC has a multi-stage ordination process, and this is the last step. The culmination of nine years of candidacy. They get to pick over my videotaped sermon, lessons plans, spiritual autobiography, 50-page theolgy paper, pyschological evaluations, and anything else they'd like to bring up. And somebody decided to schedule it on Valentines Day. [Grumble]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

9 years? Wow, that's a long time. I had assumed you were ordained.

quote:
That's like saying you can't celebrate your birthday because <insert tragedy here> happened in the same year!
My son was born on 9/11. I thought it was a good day for it to happen on.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad things happen every day. That's no reason for us not to celebrate births of children, states or nations.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

quote:
For Valentine's Day you're having an oral examination?
*fights temptation*
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm glad someone else posted that first, punwit.

Dana, will you know the results that day?

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've preordered the flowers at the florist. I found a nice card. I still haven't found anything really original yet. Sometimes I wish I were a committee of people who think up those perfect romantic dates that they have on chick flicks.

I always get hung up at Valentine's Day, because our anniversary is two weeks after that. And I don't want to upstage our anniversary, but I don't want to make Valentine's Day feel like a prequel. We do have a nice weekend getaway planned for our anniversary already, so that takes care of the "special event" part.

But sometimes I try to go all out and spend lots of money getting it just right, and the holiday turns into more of a gift spree. And sometimes I try to do the no-frills "I'm your best valentine" approach and feel bad that I didn't surprise her with much. It's hard to find the balance.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Zan, I’m commissioned. For all practical purposes it’s like being ordained – I’m considered clergy and I serve the pastor of two churches. My seminary classmates from other denominations were ordained right after graduation, but the UMC requires at least three years of full-time ministry before your final ordination.
zgator
Member # 3833

I was thinking at first maybe ordination was a formality in UMC, but there seem to be a lot of requirements. Is there anything you're not allowed to do until you're ordained?
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Was I too subtle?
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
pyschological evaluations
Uh-oh.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doing anything special for Valentine's Day?
Definite possibility that I'm going to court after all. [Mad]

Every time everything is settled . . . it's not. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Not for me, kat. I got it.

ElJay, I figured she only needed to worry if fiancees had to be analyzed as well.

dkw
Member # 3264

Dag, it depends. They have the option of a conditional recommendation, in which case I’d have to do additional work (for example, a 5-page reflection paper on some topic they didn’t think I’d covered well enough) but could still be ordained this year. Or they could recommend I continue probationary membership for another year, if there’s something they think I need to work on. But if they don’t choose one of those in-between options, then I find out that same afternoon.

Restrictions before ordination – I can’t be elected to General Conference, or vote for General Conference delegates. I can celebrate the sacraments only within the parish to which I am appointed. I’m required to meet six times a year with my mentor and six times a year with a supervised peer-group. I’m required to get three credits of continuing ed per year, (But that’s a requirement even after ordination). I think those are the big differences.

[ February 08, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Re: the thread topic, not that I know of, but a week is a long time. [Razz]
punwit
Member # 6388

Umm... I considered that you might have been posting a tongue-in-cheek question but, I wasn't sure. I just took the bait and implied that I was running.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I'm just teasing, punny. [Group Hug]
punwit
Member # 6388

[Kiss] I always appreciate a set-up.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Do you have to be married to a Methodist to pass?

[Big Grin] FG

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I got my Valentine's Day present a bit early. It was a necklace I asked for for Christmas. He's a little slow but he gets there.

The reason why I got it early is because I do the finances, and the loveable moron got himself in a pack of trouble because he didn't *tell* me he was spending money from that account and as a result it suddenly became overdrawn. It isn't like we didn't have the money, I just would have juggled accounts differently had I known...

It's hard to get too mad at him though... it's an awfully pretty necklace.

AJ

[ February 08, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Zan, go here and click on either “steps into ordained ministry” or “candidacy process” to see just how much formality it involves.

[ February 08, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for general information, flowers that you buy during Valentine's day (or February for that matter) have been stockpiled for weeks and are nowhere near being fresh. In addition, the floral wholesalers take the opportunity of universal demand to jack up their prices, especially on roses. So, in effect, you're paying up to twice as much as you usually would for flowers that will stay fresh for a day or two if you're lucky.

If you must buy flowers, try to steer clear of roses. Lilies are just starting to come into availability, and are a classy alternative.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be mourning.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to a really nice formal dinner at our church on Friday. They do this every year for married couples and it's always a lot of fun. One year a group of us wore our wedding dresses. That was a great year...

This year I'm wearing a very pretty black dress (I'm not sure if I can fit into my wedding dress after the lbs I put on last year while travelling...), getting my hair done right before, and have my after-dinner present for Ross all ready. [Evil] I'm pretty sure he'll like it.

For the actual day, I think we'll do Valentines with our kids and watch a family movie together.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having transferrence issues this year. It's rather annoying.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a physical therapy appointment.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to Rob's parents' house on the South Coast for five days, including Valentine's Day, as it's half term and all that. So I'll probably take a break from lesson planning, we'll go for a walk if it's not raining and then we'll cook a meal for ourselves and his parents and make it something really special. We decided not to do gifts this year, but I'll get him a card and see if I can turn my brain to writing something sweet to go inside it.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have six more inhibitors purified by the end of the weekend and will be testing them out on Monday. Go drugs go!

No. Not those drugs. Or those.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.