FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just Drank A Frap... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Just Drank A Frap...
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
...and discovered how disgusting those things really are! They are LOADED with sugar -- it's absolutely disgusting! Ick!

No wonder so many Americans are fat -- if Starbucks is so popular.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
"Starbucks on every corner!"

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Frappe.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Never had one
But, I do like making really good chocolate milkshakes.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a sec...you drank the entire thing but hated it? o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

What, after spending 4.15$ on that PoS, I'm not going to drink it? ^^
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, at that point, you have 2 options:
Option I -- you wasted some money
Option II -- you wated some money AND you drank a PoS

Well, I can sure see why you chose Option II.

[ December 09, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes.
Phanto
Member # 5897

or option III:

Waste money, drink PoS, gain a fabulous 400 calorie boost to system, thusly not having to eat supper.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto,
Perhaps you need a Friendly's milkshake instead. They are much lighter and have less density. You will have to come to Massachusetts, though. At Freindly's, if you want what the rest of thecountry considers a thick milkshake, you order a Fribble. They got me through the first week or so in the hospital.
Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

What if I am in Mass already ^^? (And still can't spell its name..)
mackillian
Member # 586

Or New Hampshire.

Hell, even the coffee shop at my alma mater made fantastic frappes.

I wouldn't THINK of getting a frappe at Starbucks.

In New England, it's Dunkin Donuts. And they don't make frappes.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Phanto, try the Friendly's shake. it is ver mily and frothy.

If you want coffee, as Mack says, go to Dunkin Donuts. Just know that they will want to put the cream and sugar in for you. if you order "regular," and think you are getting just a black coffee that is unflavored, beware! A regular coffee at DD means cream and quite a few scoops of sugar. I order a large with two creams, which is the perfect amount for me. If you want to put your own cream and sugar in, SPECIFY.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

The Dunkin Donuts coffees you saw in the morning in Good Will Hunting were not product placement. That's normal New England tradition.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. I make my own frapuchinos. That's what a blender is FOR.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frappe.
Thanks Jamie, that was annoying me too. [Razz]

As others have said, you definately made a mistake by going to Starbucks... but the whole point of a frappe is that it's more than just shaken milk. It's supposed to be thick and sugary!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What really sucks is when you become lactose intolerant and even with lactaid, no longer like ice cream because you associate it with being sick. [Frown]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That does suck. My mother is lactose intolerant, but it doesn't make her that unwell. Nevertheless we always have "normal milk" and lactaid in the house.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't spell it either...
hnn. Why buy a shake at a store? I could make you one that is fifty times better.
It would have-
Breyer's chocolate ice cream
milk
melted chocolate chips
and a secret ingrediate... It's better than anything you can buy someplace and it only, for the most part, around 5 bucks for the ice cream. You'd pay about 5 dollars just for a shake itself.
Insane..

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait . . . so we're not talking about frappuccinos? Because I kind of like those.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I guess I have to be the one to say it:

A) While I usually don't care for any frappes, Starbucks is the best I've had.

B) While, yes, it is overprice, Starbucks also has close to the best coffee. I'm just talking black coffee, of course. Putting cream in your coffee is the liquid equivalent of puttting paprika on watermelon. *shakes head at all the silly people*

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But paprika and salt on pineapple, now THAT'S GREAT!

Well, chili powder, really, but paprika is the closest you westerners have to it. And the pineapple has to be fresh and sweet. And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

We have Chili Powder.

And I'm afraid that post of yours is going to give me nightmares.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Black coffee?
Gack! [Angst]

rivka
Member # 4859

What she said!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a frap before. But I've been forbidden by various voice teachers to drink coffee. Oh well.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Starbucks coffee always tastes burned, though.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing I ever ate was choclate gelato with chili powder and lime. God bless Mexico.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
?????????What world are you living in??????????
Fraps are ultimate beverage glory!!!!!!!
Specially the double chocolate chip......

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VƔna
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for VĆ”na   Email VĆ”na         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, why is that? Do you know? I've never heard that before (but, I've never had formal voice lessons)!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
becaue caffeine is the #1 enemy of calcium. In other words, its easier to get osteoporosis.
Specially in women. besides, it also alters your nevous system, you get "jumpy". ~.~;; I feel like that right now...coffee w/lots of sugar in the morning....
Frapps don't have coffe though.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a coffee shop near my internship this summer that made mocha shakes. I assumed they were like Starbucks Frappuccinos, but then I saw them make one: 3 shots of espresso!

No wonder I liked them so much.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

You forgot the *twitch*
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

~.~;; *twitch*
I hate coffee...
I onlydrink it when its cold and there is nothing else to drink.

[ December 10, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[Angst]
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... Friendly's....

I still have nightmares about the tummy aches I would get trying to finish my Friendly's sundaes as a kid.

That was back when I lived in Connecticut though.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

sorry, never tried those. I'm from SO CA.
rivka
Member # 4859

While caffeine does cause excretion of calcium, that's probably not why Raia was told to avoid it. It's more likely the dehydration issue.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

yeah, I forgot that. It is a dehydrant, so you should avoid it.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
For the record:

In New England (minus the places that were swallowed by NYC, aka Western CT), a frappe is simply ice cream, milk, and a flavoring (optional). Basically this is a milkshake to the rest of you.

A milkshake, in New England, is just milk and a flavoring (like chocolate syrup).

I would pick Starbucks close to last as far as authentic frappes go; that said a milkshake is supposed to be sweet and thick.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Oh well. They're still good.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In New England (minus the places that were swallowed by NYC, aka Western CT), a frappe is simply ice cream, milk, and a flavoring (optional). Basically this is a milkshake to the rest of you.

A milkshake, in New England, is just milk and a flavoring (like chocolate syrup).

Whoa. It's like a different country. You have to learn a whole new lingo just to go there. [Eek!]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Whoa, I never knew that, Bok. So do New Englanders use "chocolate shake" synonymously with "chocolate milk"? 'Cause just chocolate syrup in milk is chocolate milk to me.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Raia, why is that? Do you know? I've never heard that before (but, I've never had formal voice lessons)!
I'm actually not sure... what Alt said made sense, but I'm not sure that's the reason... that's more general, rather than singing-specific. It's probably just really bad for your vocal chords, though it's not the caffeine, because all singers are addicted to tea.

So... I don't know! I'm sorry. [Blushing]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tea has FAR less caffeine that coffee, and has certain therapeutic effects on the throat and vocal cords that make up for its diuretic effects, I expect.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

While we're on this subject, does anybody know what has more caffeine, Coke or iced tea? I don't have a convenient brand name for the iced tea - just the average caffeine, I guess.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Caffeine Content of Foods and Drugs
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have Chili Powder.

And I'm afraid that post of yours is going to give me nightmares.

I should have been more clear. The chili powder we have here is nothing even similar to the chili powder that you have in North America. So yes, you have chili powder, but not our chili powder.

And it's actually very good. I've had it and surprised myself by liking it very much.

Another way the locals eat pineapple is with sweetened condensed milk - coating the pineapple. But Sri Lankans have sweet teeth. Really sweet teeth.

Mr. Quid (I wonder if I should start calling him that here?) drinks tea with 4 heaping teaspoons of sugar. And that's how they do it here. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Thanks, Boon.

Quids.... [Angst]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, well, we also eat goat here. Curried, of course. Mine is really good. Yum! [Laugh]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.