FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Drop and give me twenty chapters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New column: Drop and give me twenty chapters
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Drop and give me twenty chapters

Once again it's time for all good men and women to set aside whatever secondary interests might be filling their time -- work, family, personal growth -- and write a whole book in 30 days. And this year, I'm here to help you.

I've written previously about National Novel Writing Month ( www.nanowrimo.org ), when otherwise sane people pledge to craft a 50,000-word novel during November. From its inception in 1999 when 21 maniacs decided, 'what the heck, let's write a book,' to this year when over 37,000 people have signed up already, "NaNoWriMo" has grown in leaps and bounds.

-------------------

This is actually in reference to me volunteering to be the ML for my area this year -- writing 50,000 words in a month not beimg enough pressure, apparently -- but I had to remove references to that lest my column be a conflict of interest. FYI.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah yeah. Heard it all before. [Sleep]

Seriously? Yep, I'm one of those 37,000 certifiable insane people. I'm starting from scratch - character and plot development, nothing more - and writing an entire novel in November.

I would volunteer to be a rep in my area, but so far, I seem to be the ONLY person in Sri Lanka signed up. Not even my writer husband will join me. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
So? Be the ML for you! Organize kick-off parties, weekly meetings, helpful phone calls. Give yourself little pens and cute writing pads. Keep track of your progress as compared to the other local writers, i.e. you.

And, most importantly, be there for yourself. It really helps.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I wonder, would they let me?

I also thought the MLs were supposed to be veterans. This is my first year. I wanted to do it last year, but I wasn't on the internet, so no go.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have thousands of plot ideas I'll never use, largely due to legal injunctions, and I'll be happy to share them. Your main characters stuck in a rut? Have them swallowed by a 75-foot, land-going, space manatee that works for a defunct cold war spy agency and speaks only in Latvian show tunes. Ha! Your readers won't see that coming, will they?
[ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo hoo! This means I made it over a full year with Hatrack, because I remember you writing about this subject LAST year! yay! (although I don't know if at that time I yet realized that you were the columnist himself)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that I'm too lazy to search for the actual Hatrack thread about this does not bode well for my entry. But I did sign up. So beginning November 1, all my hatrack posts will bear the following sig:

quote:
Confront me if I haven't written my 1,666 words today.

Okay, I guess I'm sitting here waiting for my confirmation email. I guess out of idle curiosity I will go and see how many words I have written on Hatrack today.
117 lines x about 14 words a line (on the largest font magnification) = pretty darn close.

[ October 20, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have them swallowed by a 75-foot, land-going, space manatee that works for a defunct cold war spy agency and speaks only in Latvian show tunes.
@#@#$@#$ you stole that from me. It was the central piece in my Virgilesque epic poem.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oooh, Virgilesque. Is that like Dangeresque but dressed in a sheet?

I just realized my junk mail filter probably ate the activation email. I wonder how hard this is going to be to straighten out.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to do it. pooka is my guiding light and Chris my inspiration.

eeeeep. Is this always this scary? [Angst]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I've been poking around the site and it's pretty humbling to note how many people apparently don't finish. Like less than 10% I think. You have a better chance of death while summiting everest.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might do it..
I might develope one of the 5 or 6 novels I want to write...
Encourage me
I am afraid...
*does not think I am good enough to be a writer*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Many run, or dive out closed windows.
[ROFL]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Syn, you just gotta grab the brass ring. You can't die on Everest until you try to climb it. I wonder if my validation email came yet.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up, too. *wants to be one of the "In" (sane) crowd. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You can do it! You can do it! You can do it!!!!!

Now drop and give me 2000 words!

All you need to do is write 7 pages a day and it's done. That's no biggie. [Angst]

I'm doing it on the "how fast can I possibly finish the @#$#@!! thing" track. My personal best writing day ever was 65 pages. It was insane, and my head hurt. I'm frankly surprised I recovered. And I've done 150 pages in a week over at Book in a Week, so in theory, this should be no big deal.

So, who's all in? LET'S GO, PEOPLE! START PLOTTING! GET YOUR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT DONE! LET'S GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!

(I think my hubby might lock me up in a rubber room. He's looking at me funny. [Eek!] )

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a few things I can develope...
It's just...
That I lack confidence in some of my writing.
I ought to wait until I am 30.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

If you take that attitude, all you'll be in a few years is a tween who spent their tweens wishing they were 30.

(Is the tough love working or do you need something else?)

P.S. What I'd like to know about you is why do you work in a grocery store? You're obviously very smart. You could go straight autobiographical and it should be interesting. By the way, what are people trying genre wise?

[ October 20, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I think that, if you want to write, you ought to write and not wait until . . .

you're older
you've finished school
you've gained some "real" life experience
you've got time
you're married and have 2.x kidlets
you're smarter
you're wiser
you're <insert excuse here>

If you want to write, then write. It's only through writing that you become better, and if you wait twenty years to start writing, you're still going to have to go through that same learning curve, so why not tackle it now and start developing your writer's voice? And have a lot of fun in the process.

Just my 5 Rupees, adjusted for inflation.

I'm a total sci-fi gal. My favorite everything is sci fi. I grew up on sci fi. So, guess what genre I'm writing in?

That's right. Political satire. [ROFL]

Yeah, sci fi. I'm writing sci fi. Pretty much everything I write is sci fi, so it makes sense to continue in sci fi. Plus sci fi is more fun than anything else.

Did I use the phrase "sci fi" enough times in this post? Did I? Did I? Huh? Huh? [Evil]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*coughy laugh* Rupees!

It was the only job I could find at the time. I had been out of work for a whole year.
It's so hard to find a job without a car and experience.
But if I don't quit my job soon I'm going to get fired.

I want to do fiction and do something in which i rant about being a music drunk at the same time.

[ October 21, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so looking forward to nanowrimo this year - it may be my last year for a while since this time next year I'll be in school.

I have a new idea for a YA fantasy, and I'm just going to relax and have fun with it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:

*coughy laugh* Rupees!

Hey, where I live, the currency IS Rupees. And 5 Rupees is equal to about 5 US cents.

quote:
It was the only job I could find at the time. I had been out of work for a whole year.
It's so hard to find a job without a car and experience.
But if I don't quit my job soon I'm going to get fired.

I want to do fiction and do something in which i rant about being a music drunk at the same time.

A job to live is important, too. But still, find some time to feed the writer demon.

Write! Write! Write!!!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] quidscribis, have I mentioned how much I enjoy having you back at Hatrack?

Good luck to all the writers! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I did pretty well last year... I got to 30,000 before my will to write left me.

Bernard, unfortunately, shall not be participating with me this year, so I plan to use him as my editor. [Big Grin]

And I already have the plot--it's a jumping off from last year's. If any of you wish to read my novel this year (which will be a bunch of short stories), I plan on posting them in a LJ so lemme know and I'll give y'all the address.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

rivka, you're so sweet. And no, you didn't mention it. Until now. But I'll let you mention it as often as you like. [Kiss]

Have I mentioned how much I love being back at Hatrack?

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 1500 WORDS!!!!!

Oh hey, if you think I'm obnoxious now, just wait until NaNoWriMo actually starts!

Okay, gotta get back to plot development now. And yes, I am one of those writers who *must* have a plot to work from. Curse my husband, he goes straight into writing with nothing else done - no plot development, no character development, no world building, nothing. Curse him! Curse him, I say! [Mad]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Cool. Rupees makes me think of Hindi music and I LIKE Hindi music.
I have a ton of characters that go through my head pretty much most of the day...
I love making up characters, but writing about some of them, especially the ones that are older than me is not easy.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Have you watched any Hindi movies? If you like the music, you'll love the movies because . . .

In a typical Hindi movie, which would be, oh, 2 1/2 to four hours long, if they cut all the singing and dancing out, would be typical Hollywood length.

And the Hindi movies are strangely addicting. I saw my first one shortly after I arrived here, and have watched many more since then. And I enjoy them thoroughly. My favorite actors include . . .

Sharukh Khan - who's in almost everything
Amitabh Bachchan - who's in everything else
Hrithik Roshan, who was recently in Koi... Mil Gaya, a cross between Flowers for Algernon and ET. First ever Hindi sci fi movie.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I like Kajol a lot. She has been in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Ghabie Kushi Ghabie Gam (sp) which I really like a lot.
Both of them have nice songs and 3 of the same actors.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
I like Kajol a lot. She has been in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Ghabie Kushi Ghabie Gam (sp) which I really like a lot.
Both of them have nice songs and 3 of the same actors.

Hubby tells me that I've seen - and we own - Ghabie Kushi Ghabie Gam, but my goldfish memory precludes me remembering it at the moment, even with his efforts at refreshing the plot for my fried brian. I suppose I also thoroughly enjoyed it, given who all's in it, but I don't recall that either. I just know that I haven't seen a movie with Sharukh or Amitabh that I didn't enjoy.

How pathetic am I?

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 10 PAGES!!!!

(This advertisement sponsored by NaNoWriMo, the insane way to write a novel)

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I know Khan.. He's that guy that always plays goofy guys, right? He was in another movie I love with this woman that had pretty eyes...
Which one is the other one? The one in both Kajol movies? *ignorant*

pooka
Member # 5003

Syn, I didn't mean to put you on the defensive about your job, I was genuinely curious. Anyway, I don't want you to subject yourself to this from peer pressure. Last year I was totally non-interested by the whole concept.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my fried brian
Hannibal...... =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Wha. . . Huh?
pooka
Member # 5003

I finally just re-registered. You can look for me as FLRussell (based on my pen name).
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I am not defensive about it... I really do want to quit soon because it's driving me nuts
Part of me thinks i should suck it up, but the other part is getting fed up and tired of it.
Furthermore... I really do need to finish or start some novels because I want to write so badly...

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not impressed. The authors of the Left Behind books churn out their books in 22 days.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Yeah, but I try to make mine make sense...
pooka
Member # 5003

I just hope I can maintain my current level of enthusiasm. I'm chomping at the bit, have a 5 1/2 page outline.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious; any estimates as to about how many pages is 50,000 words? I've been told that 500 words is about one page...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It varies, depending on your page margins, font size, how much dialogue you have and how many paragraph breaks you use. Courier-type font, about 12 point size, double spacing, and one-inch margins would give you roughly 250 words per page.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Courier-type font, about 12 point size, double spacing, and one-inch margins would give you roughly 250 words per page.
And it makes for easy math. So that's what I go with.

That way, 50,000 words equals 200 pages. While brain numbing, it's not impossible.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Dunno if it helps or hurts, but some examples of books clocking in around 50,000 words or so:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
The Hitchihiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Generation X: Tales of an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland

quidscribis
Member # 5124

It doesn't. [Big Grin]

Even though NaNoWriMo is for 50,000 words, I'll be going for more than that, most likely. Like, perhaps, 70 or 80 thou. Dunno, just a thought.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Confused] I wonder what they mean by previously written prose...
I have about 3 or 4 things I'd like to develope, but I don't know which one and I wonder if I should just rewrite this first story altogether or just add to it... @_@

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The idea is that you should avoid using this time to complete something already begun. Start fresh, with nothing more than notes or an outline ahead of time.

That said, there's no real rules, you won't get banned or anything if you do otherwise, and winning is up to you.

[ October 31, 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*nervous as all hell*
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I worded that badly. What you consider "winning" is up to you. As far as NaNoWriMo is concerned, 50,000 original words in 30 days is winning. If you use the month and "only" finish up a novel that's plagued you for years, I'd say it worked for you...
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Winning for me equals getting over that whole, "Oh my goodness I must write this over again beause it is so crappy 5 year olds and birds could write better than me I suck I suck I suck."
I would like to finish something..
If I finish 3 or 4 things I will reward myself with sushi.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Winning for me equals getting over that whole, "Oh my goodness I must write this over again beause it is so crappy 5 year olds and birds could write better than me I suck I suck I suck."
I would like to finish something..
If I finish 3 or 4 things I will reward myself with sushi.

Then that's what you do - whatever will get you over that whole "my writing sucks" feeling.

I started writing for a magazine about a half year ago. I was assigned an article, and I sweated over it. I thought it was terrible, but there was a deadline, so I had to submit it. I figured I blew my only chance to write for this magazine cuz my stuff was that terrible. The phone rang, and it was the editor. I was expecting him to yell at me because he was so unhappy with me. It turns out that he thought my article was pretty good and he wanted to compliment me on it.

The moral of the story? Sometimes we, as writers, especially when we're starting out, have absolutely NO PERSPECTIVE AT ALL on the quality of our work.

That's number one.

Number two. Let's say for a moment that what you wrote wasn't that great. Well, who cares? It's a first draft. First drafts are supposed to suck. Well, that's not entirely true. First drafts are merely supposed to exist. First drafts are where we get the bare bones, the ideas, the story down. It's during editing that we clean it up and make it look all pretty.

Almost all writers have to edit their stuff heavily. Most of us end up snipping out entire paragraphs and chapters because they're so dreadful. A lot of us end up tossing our first manuscript into a closet because we can't bear it seeing the light of day it's such drivel. Welcome to the club.

It's only by writing and writing and writing some more that we get better and better and better at it. And then we get even better by editing and revising and editing some more. And then we get even better by asking others to critique our stuff. And we get even better by critiquing other people's stuff. And we work on it, and work on it, and we get better. Becoming a good writer is a process, not an event.

In other words, Syn, it's not you. It's pretty much all of us. So cut yourself some slack, relax a bit, and have fun with writing. That should be your prime focus. Have fun.

We're rooting for you. [The Wave]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Thanks [Smile]
Dmitri is like that with his singing. *hearts*

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.