FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stupid idiots ruining it for everyone (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stupid idiots ruining it for everyone
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and I had decided to have photo stamps made for our wedding invitations from Stamps.com. They are a licensed vendor of the US Post office, and you could put any photo you wanted (within decency standards) on a real postage stamp. We had a test sheet made with one of our engagement photos and they turned out really cool, so we decided to do it. Decision made on Sunday.

Yesterday (Monday) I read a news article that people had been abusing the photo-stamps – submitting photos of serial killers and Monica Lewinsky’s blue dress, among other things – so Stamps.com now only allows photos of kids, pets, and “nature.” No photos of adults or teens.

We went to the website, and they still had examples of wedding photo and graduation photo stamps. We ordered enough for our invitations immediately. (This was at 11:30 or so last night.) This morning, all the example stamps on the website are pictures of babies and puppies and there is a notice announcing the new policy. I don’t know if our order made it in before the new policy, or if I’m just waiting for the e-mail telling me our photo was rejected. [Frown]

On the plus side, we did get one sheet, so we may be among the very few adults in the country to have legal stamps with our own photo on them. How exclusive. [Cool]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Keep the sheet intact - it may be worth something someday. It would like nice in a floating frame, too.

Oh, and [Mad] at stupid idiots who ruin it for the rest of us.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of this before -- custom-made stamps for a wedding.

You're really going all-out on this thing, aren't you?

[Wink]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The sheet is already not intact. Part of the trial run was to mail out a few and see if anyone noticed them.

Maybe I could cut out a square of 4 or 9 that would look good in a frame, though.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Farmgirl, it’s a brand new thing – they were in their trial run. Bob heard about it on NPR and we both thought it would be a quirky fun thing to do.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like they could just charge more for a higher degree of active control. Allow you to submit official documentation that you are who you say you are. And if you lie, you can't order anymore.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks* If it doesn't come through, you could photoshop pictures of yourselves as babies into one picture and have those printed. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

kat, you're brilliant. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*happy dance* dkw thinks I'm brilliant. </off topic>
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You gonna use the one of you nekkid in the tub?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why the people who ordered those stamps are stupid idiots, nor do I see how they were 'abusing' the service. Can someone explain this to me?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I don't want to fight this morning.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm with AE on this one. in what way had they abused the system?
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

“Stupid idiots” is a technical term that means “I’m pouting because I don’t get what I want.” Sheesh.

However, they admit that they were trying to get the service cancelled by submitting controversial images and then publicizing it. They aren’t planning on using their “offensive” stamps, they only did it to make a point.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Which was? [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange as it sounds, I was actually responding to Dagonee's post which, despite quoting you verbatim, seemed to mean it in a different sense. This is also known as 'me not thinking'. [Embarrassed]

What point were they trying to make?

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be so fun to have stamps with you two featured in it! I hope it can still work out.

I find myself wondering, though, if Stamp.com couldn't just simply deny service to people submitting inappropriate photos. Seems like this should be a non-issue.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

From the link:
quote:
This was just an exercise to point out that the only people truly worthy of stamps are statesmen (George Washington, Benjamin Franklin), civil rights leaders (Martin Luther King Jr., Thurgood Marshall), and cartoon characters (Wile E. Coyote, Jiminy Cricket).
Edit: Bev, they already had that policy. But some folks decided to try to push the limits and see what they could get through. Some of their stamps were rejected, but the "screeners" missed some, so now the tighter policy.

Edit again: And you can't really blame the screeners. I wouldn't have recognized Ted Kazinski's high school yearbook photo either.

[ September 14, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't imagine any cartoon characters as more worthy of stamps than dkw and Bob...
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Hmmm, that's too bad. Seems like such a cool idea. [Frown]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... why does stamps.com care if people are submitting stamps with serial killers on them? It might be bad taste, but I don't see why it's a problem the company needs to rectify.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Awww, thanks blacwolve. [Smile]

I think the discussion question here is – does having something on a stamp automatically mean it’s being honored? Even if it’s known that the stamps are personalized, not officially chosen photos? Because any of those controversial photos could have been printed on a postcard and the post office would deliver them. The ones that got through the screening weren’t offensive images in thenselves, they were only offensive if you recognized the people and thought they weren’t “worthy” of being on a stamp.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I think the general population as a whole still thinks of stamps as being "endorsed" by the USPS - and the government. I doubt most people even know this private company can now legally do this. So I can see the USPS being upset that their reputation of "honoring" people with stamps might be questioned by having unsavory characters on the stamps. It would be a reflection on them (for those who didn't know what was going on)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There's also rights issues to be worried about.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you clarify, Dag?

edit: I assume that you mean I have a right to not have my picture on a stamp if I don't want it there.

Question: Assuming that's the case, do I have a right to not have my picture on a postcard? On a poster? In the newspaper?

edit #2: This is not rhetorical. I really don't know the answer to these questions.

[ September 14, 2004, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I would think the rights issue would be covered under existing laws. If people are using images that don’t belong to them, they could be sued in the same way they would if they used them in any other unauthorized way.

Technically, anyone using professional baby portraits is probably violating this one, and those are still allowed by Stamps.com.

Technically, anyone using professional engagement portraits was probably over that line too. [Embarrassed]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I meant both the rights of the person pictured and copyright for images not created by the people submitting these photos.

The rules are very murky on the first aspect. A public figure likely has no case; a more "private" person might.

dkw, you're right that the same types of issues exist with other pictures.

Dagonee
Edit: And we made sure we had unlimited rights to our wedding photos. It's well worth it just to be able to use new technologies such as this.

[ September 14, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

dkw
Member # 3264

That's definitely on the list for wedding photos. If we and the photographer ever get around to negotiating. (Oh, maaaaaack . . .)

But I completely didn't think about it when we ordered the stamps.

[ September 14, 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really can't imagine any cartoon characters as more worthy of stamps than dkw and Bob...
Zing! <rimshot>

Good one, blacwolve.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Oooo! Ooo, Ooo, Ooo! We could have Ryuko draw a cartoon version of us! This is going to work out one way or another.

[Party]

beverly
Member # 6246

Dana, I might try my hand at it just for fun. And I won't be offended if you don't use it. [Smile] I'm not the best artist, but I like an excuse to actually do art.
dkw
Member # 3264

bev, I'd love to see what you'd come up with. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid smart people circumventing the idiots trying to stop you from having fun.

*shakes fist*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Dana, I tried just now to pull up foobonic and it isn't working! [Frown] I will try again later. Or, feel free to email me any pics you would like me to use as inspiration. I may use one or a combination of several.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Surprised not to see Dobie entitled "Stupid idiots running for everything" yet.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Foobonic a little bit ago, Bev, looking at your Arwen drawing, so it would seem that it's back up.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ok, I give up. I am trying to find the pics of Dana and Bob on foobonic and I have failed thus far.

*feels stupid*

Anyone else feel like they have trouble finding what they are looking for on foobonic?

dkw
Member # 3264

http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/usr-dkw
beverly
Member # 6246

Yay! Thanks.

*feels even more stupid*

beverly
Member # 6246

BTW, rough copy finished! ^_^

It is a pencil drawing. I think I will ink it. I hope I don't ruin it....

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev, that's so cool. Can't wait to see it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the people protesting the service are people who in the past have competed for art competitions to be on stamps and didn't win. My grandma is passed on, so I know it wasn't her. And to be frank, I didn't think much of her entry. Though she did have a lot of other paintings that would make cool stamps.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at the pictures.

*dies*

You are so beautiful together. You glow.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*confused*

Doesn't U.S. Law prohibit using images of living people on stamps or currency? Dagonee?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0811stamps11.html

quote:
PhotoStamps fall under the postal regulations for metered mail, so they are exempt from regular-stamps rules such as no living people can be featured and those dead must be gone for 10 years (except for historic and presidential stamps).

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good!

*cancels hit*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[ROFL]
beverly
Member # 6246

Bob and Dana, I haven't been able to get back to it since I last posted an update, but I could try to scan in what I have so far for opinion before I try to go to the "next step". That way, if it *does* get ruined, you still have something. [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<drums fingers impatiently>

Oh, bev, make me look thin.

Thanks!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Soooooo have you heard back from them yet? You would think, if they weren't going to process your order they'd tell you as much.

btw, Mother is planning a photoshopped baby picture entry, I think. She said something about having baby pics of both of you, and you know how she loves to manipulate pictures...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.