FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MPH doing aikido (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: MPH doing aikido
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I participated in the shodan test of a friend on Tuesday. You can see a picture of me being slammed to the ground here.

That's it. I just thought it was a cool picture and I wanted to share.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool picture!
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks painful. Pretty cool, though.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!! I love aikido. [Smile]

Dag - It's only painful if you don't do it right....

[ August 20, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't painful at all. That type of falling is something that I do really well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Scanning through the different pics, I think it's fun to see techniques I know how to do. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I fall very well.

I land terribly.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So you have the 9.81 down solid?
ludosti
Member # 1772

9.81? That's not Japanese! [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Um, don't they use the metric system over there?
ludosti
Member # 1772

Probably...
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Porter! I did Aikido for awhile, but I'm officially all Aikidoed out now. Hurt myself one too many times, and finally thought "hm--I'm not really enjoying this so much". I do have enormous respect for the martial art and those who practice it though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Aikido is more throws and holds than hitting, correct? How is it different than judo?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Some quick differences with Judo:

Judo is a sport. Aikido is not. To make it a safe sport, Professor Kano removed from Judo all of the techniques that could cause injury when done full force and full speed.

As a result, Aikdio has a lot of joint manipulations, arm bars, wrist locks, etc. that Judo doesn't have.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cool. Joint manipulation is the quickest route to injury in many cases. Good for defense. Bad for athletic careers.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

A quick tidbit -- professor Kano was the first person to use colored belts to indicate skill level -- he just had white and black. Soon after, Gichin Funakoshi adopted the same thing for his Shotokan Karate that he started teaching in Japan. We get both the colored belts and the martial arts "gi" or outfit from Kano. In many ways, he is the father of modern martial arts.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Noemon -- this is getting freaky. I've got to find something I like that you don't, or visa-versa.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Isn't it? I think you're pretty much the LDS version of me!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you guys are wearing hakama! I didn't know there was a martial art where they actually wear the hakama. Jes makes his own. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah -- we like to joke that when you do Aikido, you're man enough to wear a skirt.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
He's going to love these pictures.

Porter, you may have just started the one thread that will force my husband to join Hatrack. Let's see. We'll have to wait til he gets home.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What does he make his own hakkama for?

BTW, a lot of the more traditional Japanese martial arts like iaido, kendo, kenjutsu, jojitsu, kyudo, etc. all wear hakama.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I don't know...I think he just likes to. Plus he's really tall and he just assumed if he found some they wouldn't fit, like all his other skirts, I mean pants. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

OK, let me re-phrase the question. Why does he wear them?

Oh, and I know a place that makes *very* good hakama to fit. They are pricey, thought.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh, he's a ninja every year for Halloween. Oh crap, that's a secret!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's an awesome picture. You know, it's kind of a funny coincidence...I'm seriously thinking about joining the aikido club here at ASU. I'm a little nervous about it since I'm clumsy and out of shape, but I'm hoping that this will take care of both of those.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a bit of Aikido between pregnancies. I joke that I better not start up again because I am not ready to get pregnant again! I always got pregnant right when I was ready to take a test. Well, just two tests, but I took both in early pregnancy. So my sensei was hyper-sensitive about how my test nages treated me. I thought he was being a bit silly. [Smile]

Shigosei, if you start up, prepare for bloody knees! >.<

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You have probably never met anybody that is naturally as clumbsy as I am. My friends always used to call me Kraemer after the Seinfeld character.

The Aikido hasn't gotten rid of that, but is has helped...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, and most people don't have knee problems like beverly did. I surely didn't.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm Akido. I want to do kendo.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Porter, me too! Well, not the nickname part, but the uncoordinated part. I actually had to go to perceptual motor clinic when I was a kid because of it.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*Twighlight Zone theme plays*
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My knees didn't bleed, but the tops of my feet did. Actually, there was a kind of cool thread about it. I'll have to go and see if it's still around.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Found it! It's the "Ouch--what should I do about these blisters" thread. I also bumped another thread that's just entitled "Ouch", which was about being clumsy. It would seem that a lot of us have less than perfect grace around here.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Dude, that's why we're here. The graceful people spend their time trying out for Broadway, and not on a geeky internet forum. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh yeah, that's it! I knew there was a reason! [Big Grin]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Noemon -- we need to figure things out. Am I your evil twin, or are you mine?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, your only difference is that one of you is LDS.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well--I have a goatee. Do you have any facial hair? A goatee trups the clean shaven look, making me the evil twin. If you had a handlebar mustache, though that would definitely trump my goatee.
Noemon
Member # 1115

And since LDS people generally seem to be some of the nicest individuals on the planet, that would suggest that--barring some unexpectedly lush facial hair--Porter is the good twin.

Celia would be so proud of me!

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Big Grin]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Crap! I wanted to be the evil twin!

But yeah, if you have the goatee, then you get to be the evil one.

[Grumble]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's it. I've been thinking about growing a beard for a while now.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet.

Give me a month.

[ August 20, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Just scribble a mustache on your face with a black marker. That should do it.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Naw, that's only as dastardly as Snidely Whiplash. It barely qualifies as evil.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a martial arts thread, so naturally I have to sound off:

Judo is a sport and is designed around a highly structured scenario involving "safe" grappling, wrestling and throws. Now, higher levels of Judo instruction will include potentially unsafe techniques, but the point is not to hurt your opponent.

Jujitsu is the "let's hurt someone by breaking joints" martial art. It was designed and practiced by samurai for use against armored foes.

Aikido is as much a philosophy as a martial art. It's more graceful and geared towards flowing motion and not the same fighting for position you see in Judo.

Aikido deals with a re-direction of force in a fashion as to deter an attacker without causing undue injury to the attacker.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Judo

A fairly comprehensive site on Judo.

Aikido.web

A good online resource for Aikido information.

Enjoy,
Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fun. I don't think I'd do well in it, though.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Depends on what you want, Muppet.

Are you looking for exercise? Self-defense?

Do you have any experience with martial arts?

Judo can be very physically intense and demanding - a lot of fun, but you are picking up people and throwing them around. And a lot of hands-on wrestling.

-Trevor

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.