FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Childless (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Childless
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, for the past 18 years, my life has totally revolved around my kids.

For this week, two of my kids are in Minnesota for a work mission, and the other kid decided to go stay with his dad for the week.

I'm lost. The house is quiet. I can get tons of stuff done but it just feels so weird...

Suggestions for how I should spend my week? (besides working, of course...)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Read.

Sleep.

Take the opportunity to go to a movie with friends, or something else you never manage to do.

Enjoy the peace and quiet! They'll be home soon.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...tough one. You could throw a party, since they're not at home. Ops...you're the mother...well...then...what does mothers do to enjoy themselves? [Confused]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, if I had a guy.......

[Evil Laugh]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

. . . you'd be asking him for advice, instead of us?

O:)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
5 lbs of Blue Bunny Moose Tracks ice cream, a fifth of Jamacian Rum and the entire Harry Potter & LotR DVD franchise from Blockbuster.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hmmm. some pretty good ideas there Dan -- especially the ice cream and movies (I don't drink alcohol). However, if I want to LOSE weight before KamaCon.....

FG

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bask in the glory of a temperary empty-nester, enjoy the taste of freedom that you shall feel in a little while longer. And worry, worry that your children aren't having a good time, worry that they aren't eating well.

And then remember that you brought them up well and bask in the glory of a long job finally well done.

Go to the park, take a hike, sleep in, indulge yourself in some little fantasy. Or you can just sleep.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What I did in a similar situation was celebrate by wildly altering my sleep-wake cycle. What you need is booze and friends and also some good computer games. Oh, and easily-prepared food. Start staying out late with friends and then going home and staying up late playing games. You can get some Totino's pizza so these precious activities are not unduly infringed upon by cooking time. Sleep during the day, party by night!

At least one night staying up talking about philosophy with your equally-unphilosphy-educated friends is necessary. All night, I mean. Also, don't wash the dishes or even clothes if you have to.

Rinse and repeat.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was alone in the house all weekend and celebrated by playing music much louder than normal and wandering around in various states of undress. There's also nothing quite so liberating as peeing with the bathroom door open. It just feels so wrong.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob! I was also alone all weekend at home and I agree with you! The "various state of undress" and the "bathroom" thing! [Smile]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I live by myself, and I haven't opened the blinds in months. It simply isn't practical.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
INVITE a man over? I mean... it sounds like you want one [Smile]

Other then that, take a nice long luxurious bath. Go out on the town dancing or something else you enjoy.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
playing music much louder than normal and wandering around in various states of undress
Now THIS I can do! I don't even have to worry about pepping Toms because I have no neighbors..

Hmmm... I wonder what it would be like to use the riding lawn mower in the nude.....

[Big Grin]
FG

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I live by myself, and I haven't opened the blinds in months. It simply isn't practical.

When I had a single room at school, I did the same thing. I mean, I could put on pants, but that would take effort--not only finding the pants but putting them on, and then I'd feel obligated to wear a shirt (because pants and no shirt feels stupid to me). At that point, I might as well open the blinds to let some light in, and even take a walk while I'm at it. All that when I could've just watched some TV in my underpants.

The slippery slope begins with pants-wearing. Now I wear clothes all the time, and just look at me, a productive member of society! Gads.

[/tounge-in-cheek]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hmmm... I wonder what it would be like to use the riding lawn mower in the nude....."

Well, never tried THAT... but I do enjoy nude sunbathing on my parents back yard lawn when I'm there and no one else is home.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I could ask my husband. He's out raking hay in a hat and boots.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I've decided there are too many mosquitoes to try to do anything outside in any state of undress.

Besides, my mom is still at home with me (I support her). Even though we don't interact much and she pretty much stays in her room lots of the time. She was already asleep for the night at 7 PM last night.

I could think of lots of things to do if I wanted to spend money -- but sent most of my cash with the kids on their Minnesota trip..

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Dead_Horse -- I've gotta visit your farm someday....

FG

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself in the same situation for this summer. My younger children always spend the summer on the mainland with their dad, but I've always had my older daughter with me, so I've never been completely alone before. But she moved back to the mainland on July 8 to prepare for her wedding (and to be with her fiance - silly girl [Big Grin] ) and I've been all alone since then...

It's been weird, I've never ever lived alone before. I moved from my mother's home into a dormitory for 6 months, then into my husband's home. And when he left, I had 6 children. It's been kind of eerie, and a taste of things to come, I imagine, when all of my children are gone (in about 5 years [Angst] ).

Every day when I get off work, I realize that I don't have to go home, that there's no one there waiting for me, and I try to think of what I'd rather do. I always end up going home anyway.

I keep telling myself that it's only until August 13, and I can handle it, right?

I joined Netflix, but my DVD player's getting squirrelly. And I went to the library and got a bunch of books. I had a friend spend last weekend with me and we went up to watch the sunrise on Haleakala (which I've never done since I moved here 3 years ago). I'm also finishing up a couple of craft projects and preparing to go to the mainland for my daughter's wedding. I'm writing a family history/cookbook for a wedding present (it's what she asked for) and that's been kind of fun.

[ July 26, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: maui babe ]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Thats what I'm asking my mom to do for me at some point... thanks for a great idea, Maui [Smile]
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Read, and eat whatever you want, knowing no one will ask you for some of your treat.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My grandmother did that - we have a cookbook of recipes and all the memories associated with each one. I love it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Reheat some of the fresh catfish from last night. Put on some smoky blues or folk ballads from a favorite performer. Mix a glass of your favorite concoction (alchoholic or not*) and curl up with a really good book.

I love to have time alone to just do what I wanna do. I never have a problem finding a way to enjoy the solitude.

*Note on a great non-alchoholic mix, 1/3 Beefamato juice, 2/3 Spicy V8, liberal splashes of worcestershire sauce and a coule of dashes of celery salt. Yum, Yum!

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

When my children were small and money was tight, I used to do daycare for 4 extra school aged children. I had (at that time) 5 of my own, aged newborn to 8 years, 4 extras after school, my two teenaged sisters-in-law plus whatever friends they brought over after school, my mother and father-in-law and the parents of the four children I babysat dropping around to pick them up every afternoon... and I lived in a 1000 sq foot house with one bathroom. I literally used to fantasize about what it would be like to be alone. Not forever, just for a few days because I was NEVER alone, even for a minute.

To take a bath without someone knocking on the door. Or to read a book or watch TV without distractions. To eat whatever I wanted, without worrying about whether I could afford 8-10 servings.

I always knew that this day would come, but I didn't expect it this soon.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me FG, you DON'T want to see it!
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Things to do when Home Alone:

Write
Take long baths with sweet-smelling oils and candles
Write
Take long walks in Nature
Write
Watch all the movies you've wanted to see
Make gourmet dinners
Go out to honky-tonks or nightclubs or their equivalent
Write...

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Errr... Jenny ? I think you forgot: 'Write'...

By the way, thank you all. Now I officially know how my parents must have felt after me and my brother came to France to study...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Even better, go to the craft store, pick up an aromatherapy bath stuff kit, make something that smells divine and steep yourself in it.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Well, the farm is nice, it's just that the farmer tends to drive people away...

Mmmm...eating good stuff and not having to share.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm soooo glad you brought this up, Farmgirl. Nathan will be away for a WHOLE week the beginning of August and I am already panicking.

It doesn't help that he is not home this evening, either. Spur of the moment - oh, by the way, the care provider decided it was a nice day for a dayhike at 1:00 PM. He'll be back around 8:00 which leaves me two hours to fill.

I could:

Plant all the plants I just bought last Sunday- but wouldn't that be working after a full day's work . . . ?

Eat more toast with butter rather than a real dinner. Heck - I could get really naughty and have brown sugar on my toast. *Is excited*

I could spend the next two hours on Hatrack . . . [Wink]

Gee.

Life sure offers tough choices.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, here's what I did for evening alone #1:

Mowed.

But that is good -- because I got a lot done and was using my "new" spiffy lawn mower, so it was fun.

Now, I can go in there and take a nice long bubble bath (from your suggestions above! I would never have thought of it....) With no one knocking on the bathroom door telling me to hurry up...

Jenny -- writing! Wow! I haven't written for pleasure since... since... before kids! What an idea!

punwit -- your concoction sounds, um, interesting (and like heartburn waiting to happen). And you will kill me for this -- but I don't like catfish! I love bass and crappie and almost every other fish, but not catfish. I throw 'em back..

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

I nice balance of productive fun and fun for fun's sake. [Smile]

Enjoy the bubbles!

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me one summer to get used to living alone. Of course I'm not really alone because I have cats. They are excellent company. But there are lots of great things to do when you have no other humans around.

I like to sit and watch the birds and squirrels eat at the feeders. There's something fascinating about it. Reading is very high on the list. Knitting, too. Listening to music that you appreciate and nobody else does. Playing an instrument and singing when there are no critics to overhear. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* for my dobie
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I wish I could send my kids away for a week! No fair!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

bev -- I thought that exact thought for many many years. Especially all those years that their dad chose to NOT have visitation at all. There was absolutely no down time; 24/7. It is good that they are almost grown now...

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

*quietly* bev, I'll trade you.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

< -- *keeps mowing lawn. Fights urge to go find a man...* [Big Grin]
beverly
Member # 6246

Hmmmm, a trade, eh? How old are your kids, Rivka? (Or is there just one? I can't remember....)

Farmgirl: Someday, someday....

You know, if we didn't have kids, we might actually try to make it to Kamacon. But having kids just makes things way too complicated and expensive. I'm feeling bitter.

[Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have three, and they are 10, 7, and 4.

But that's not what I meant. I meant, I would gladly go back to never getting weekends kidfree.

beverly
Member # 6246

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I think I would also dislike it if I *had* to give up my kids every-other weekend or so. Having no choice in the matter.... that would be sad.

I do, however, wish I had a "magic babysitter" who would willingly take the kids whenever I wanted. For instance, if someone were willing to take the oldest two for a week, I could consider Kamacon.... But there is another part of me that can't bear to be away from them so long. [Frown]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, I'm still not being clear. Probably because this is not the most comfortable of subjects for me.

No, getting the weekends kidfree is sometimes the only way I cope. I need that time to rest and recharge. I am amazed and humbled by single moms like Farmgirl and Shan who manage without that.

But I would give quite a lot -- certainly including those undemanding weekends of quiet -- to not have gotten divorced.

katharina
Member # 827

*hugs rivka*
beverly
Member # 6246

Oh. Sorry for misunderstanding you--and being rather clumsy about it. [Embarrassed]
rivka
Member # 4859

*hugs kat* Thanks. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

It's ok, beverly. I was vague and easy to misunderstand.
romanylass
Member # 6306

(((rivka))))
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((rivka))) [Frown]

I have it much easier now, rivka. My ex (oh, s'cuse me, "former" spouse) cleaned up his act well enough to take Nathan on a regular basis - which so far has been limited to a very occasional overnight (maybe once per month) and a couple of times a week afterschool.

Next week, we are trying a small summer vacation for four nights and five days with Nathan and Dad.

Wish me luck.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Thanks, Rivka. I was kind of uncomfortable with Beverly's "no fair" comment too, although I understood the feeling.

Not being with your children sucks in a big way, even though there are some short term benefits.

And divorce sucks even more. [Cry]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.