FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ok, the PacNW gathering DID slightly involve LotR... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ok, the PacNW gathering DID slightly involve LotR...
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1329

Yippee! I love the photos.

I also love the fact that Jonny Depp took the award for outstanding performance by a male actor in a lead role.

[ March 21, 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp is totally one of my favorite actors. He always gives such interesting and outrageous performances! I'm glad he got the SAG.

*psst* BTW, Narnia, your silly mention of spicy cheese dip in another thread has now got me craving it. You'll have to send me some or we'll have to plan another PNW Hatrack get together.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I think spicy cheese dip is a good enough excuse to plan a get-together.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics Narn.... although I think Arwen needs a tan. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeesh Beren, I agree!! And there were like, 30 gazillion pictures of her too! I was disappointed that there weren't more cast members at that ceremony. I think it's a really important award, and it says a lot for the 'fellowship' that this particular cast created. I'm really glad they won it.

Nato and Jonny. I'm so there. I think we should call it a "Spicy Cheese get-together." What do you think?? (How does the week of March 22-30 look for you guys? I'm on Spring Break and would LOVE to see you all.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] March 22-30th is bad for me because I leave on the 21st-28th for my parent's house in the midwest. I'm free the 19th and 20th, though, if you can make it two days earlier! You shouldn't have finals on Saturday, the 20th!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll still be home on break for the 19th and 20th, so the weekend works better for me, too.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

19th-20th should work okay. I've got a frisbee tournament the weekend before, and some finals after that, but I'll be all done by that wednesday. The 20th would probably be pretty good for me.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Actually, it looks like I'm flying out of Eugene at 2:30, so the 20th is out. It'll have to be Friday or earlier, or I can't come. If that doesn't work for you, then just have the get-together without me. I'm sure we can work out a time for all of us to have some fun over the summer.

[ February 25, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Friday the 19th or Saturday the 20th sounds good. Let's do it.

Where when and how??? Any ideas?

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm...I was planning on going to Portland on the 13th and 14th. Maybe I can wiggle some things around.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

ooooh!! COME! But if you're here on the 13th and 14th, we'll have to figure out a way to visit with you anyway.

Ok. Frisco and cheese dip. What more of an excuse do we need???

[ February 26, 2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, if you're going to find a way to see me the 13th, why not change the date to the 13th?

*whistles innocently*

This reminds me. I must call Ralphie.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

A few of us have finals the next week (after the 13th) and it might be a little stressful...Nato has his ultimate frisbee tournament...you know. Important stuff. [Wink]
Frisco
Member # 3765

I never understood why they called it "Ultimate Frisbee".

See, I figure to call it "Ultimate", it should have to be full-contact. The powers-that-be should be forced to rename it "Penultimate Frisbee".

[/tangent]

Well, I'll see what I can do about the 20th, then. [Smile]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

*bump* Because, from what I hear, Narnia loves good bumpage... [Wink]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooohhhh - what fun! Jonny - shall I pick you up at the park-n-ride in my way cool new truck?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Ooh! Truck! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny truck! Yeah, that sounds fun!
Shan
Member # 4550

Will you require a driving abstract?

(It's clean, I promise. [Evil Laugh] )

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay! Good bumpage! *thwaps Jonny*

So what do you guys want to do? Do you want to do another OMSI Powell's day? Something else? I'm bringing spicy cheese dip no matter what. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

Something zany and fun, no matter what, is definitely in order! [Party]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Arwen needs a tan.
I thought everyone didn't like phony tans. [Laugh] [Cool]
This is Charlize Theron.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm thinking. I will search for cool stuff going on that weekend. (The weekend of the 20th right?)
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, it looks like I'll be up there on the 13th, so in addition to the 20th, anyone want to hang out then?
Narnia
Member # 1071

How long are you going to be in town? Are you staying at Toni's? We should definitely go out to dinner or something. I think it's necessary that I meet you if you're in a 20 mile radius. [Smile]
Frisco
Member # 3765

1. Saturday-Monday or Tuesday.

2. I should probably call and ask her.

3. Yes, I agree.

[Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

So. Here are a few things. Have any of you non Portlanders done Saturday's Market? That's pretty fun:
quote:
Downtown Markets
Saturday Farmer's market --fresh, locally grown stuff
Saturday Market -- locally made crafts, with fair attitude. Every saturday and sunday under the Burnside bridge.

But if you're in the mood for some scenery...

quote:
Forest Park in NW Portland has miles of pine- and fern-surrounded trails and is accesible from many parts of the city. One good starting point is at Pittock Mansion, which sits at 1000ft, overlooking the city. They have trail maps there, and one trail can take you to the Audobon Society's visitor center. I believe there's a trail to Pittock from Washington Park (see next paragraph).

I would also consider going to Washington Park on the hills just west of downtown. From there you can walk up past the Rose Gardens (amazing with a nice view of downtown) and wander through the Arboretum.

Closer to Reed, just East of Hawthorne, is Mt. Tabor. This also provides great views of the city.

I wasn't sure if you were planning on bringing Nathan Shan. He might not be to excited about a hike, but it's just a thought. It's something that I've never done before either and the Pittock mansion is pretty fun (though we'd have to pay if we wanted a tour through the place.)

So what do you think, any more ideas?

And Frisco, where are you going to be next weekend?

Narnia
Member # 1071

We could also just do a simple day of OMSI, food, Powells and hanging out. The brain fair (for those of you that remember last year) is on the 13th, so alas we'll miss it. [Wink]
Shan
Member # 4550

I was hoping for a day out with adults sans child, Cecily, but if he does come along, he's a great hiker. Outdoorsy kinds of things sound good to me. Actually, just about anything in the company of witty, intelligent, fun-loving adults not connected to work sounds perfect!

What time do we want to meet and where, so Jon and I can coordinate car-pooling?

Narnia
Member # 1071

Does everyone want to hike? We could plan OMSI if it's raining....
Frisco
Member # 3765

I can't get ahold of Ralphie, so I think I'm going to spend Saturday(13th) in Bend with some friends and get to Portland on Sunday(14th).

I'm not sure when I'll be there, though. Maybe email me your number, Narnia, and I'll give you a call Saturday to see if you want to meet up for dinner on Sunday?

Narnia
Member # 1071

I'll email you my number, but I don't know if I can do dinner on Sunday. [Frown] Are you leaving Monday?
Frisco
Member # 3765

ummm...dunno. I should know by Saturday sometime, though. [Smile]

I'm not too good with planning. [Razz]

Nato
Member # 1448

In my usual style, I have no idea what exactly I'm planning to do the weekend in question. I think I might have another errand to do in Portland on Saturday--going with my girlfriend to pick up her sister and brother-in-law at PDX. If that's the case, I could probably hang out with Hatrackers beforehand, if you all wouldn't mind me bringing a friend along. She's a pretty cool nerd too. And she has a digital camera. [Big Grin]

If that's not what I'm going to be doing on the 20th, then I'll be free to hang out with Hatrack folks, I bet.

By the way, ultimate is a sport invented by hippies. How could that not be ultimate?

Nato
Member # 1448

Someone will bring spicy cheese dip, right?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

I hope you guys have fun! Maybe you can mail me some spicy cheese dip, Narnia. [Razz]
Nato
Member # 1448

I do have a question though, since I'm not terribly familiar with spicy cheese dip. What do you recommend for dipping into it? I'm thinking about pretzels right now, but I bet there are some good crackers out there too.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Hmmm, you could dip cheese sticks, baguettes, chips, vegetables (like asparagus, carrots, etc.), your finger, someone else's finger, mack's favorite finger ( --|-- ), crackers, your whiny sibling (not to eat - just for tor- er, I mean fun), tempura...just to name a few.
Narnia
Member # 1071

I usually dip tortilla chips. [Smile]

Ok. So someone mentioned the Eric Snider show. Any takers? In the evening?

Sorry, I am swamped this week, so it's hard for me to plan anything. I really want to see you guys though, so just tell me if it's hiking, OMSI, comedy show, all of the above or 2 of the 3? What do you think?

If we can only have Nato and Meggie for a couple hours then we could probably do lunch and then Shan, Jonny, me...and whoever else wants to come (Zotto my dear?) can go do whatever.

Frisco, I'll just email you my number. I think Sunday is out. [Frown] But, of you get hold of Ralphie and/or stay until Monday, I would love to meet up.

Shan
Member # 4550

Wahoo! Sans child, it is! (I'm sorry - I know NAthan's the highlight, but you'll just have to make do with me. I might remember some new pics, though . . . )

I like the idea of hiking, shopping and comedy. Whatever y'all want.

*Is excited*

Narnia
Member # 1071

Shan, you're easy to please my dear. [Smile] It looks like it might just be you, Jon and I if Nato can't make it. [Frown] I'll email Ralphie and invite her along too.

I checked on the Eric Snider show and it's not until the 26th, so we'll miss it by a week. [Frown] Alas. We'll have to do OTHER cool stuff while eating spicy cheese dip.

[Big Grin]

Please tell me if you think of anything else for doing.

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there still room for moi? I currently have ridiculous amounts of free time on my hands, and bothering Jatragueros would be a nifty respite from my bachelor boredom... [Smile]

[ March 11, 2004, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Zotto! My boy, where have you been?! I tried to call you last week, did you get the message?

I would LOVE it if you came, I miss you! (((Zotto)))

I'll call you soon and we'll pick you up, etc.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ok, I think we should start calling this a Shinda, just to piss the SoCal people off. [Wink]

(I always refer to it as a Shinda in my head anyway just because it's a fun name.)

MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad I'll be out of town.

Ah, well, I guess Shan will just have to wait until another time to kick me in the shins. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Now, why exactly would I want to do a horrible thing like that????

My goodness!

Narnia - I trust in your good judgement for nifty things to do. [Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Drat Moonrabbit. I was going to email you this weekend if I didn't 'see' you on the board.

Trusting me to plan the day might end up in us having some free time. [Smile] But don't worry, I'll have some backup plans.

So the list so far is Jon, Cecily, Shan, Nathan (and possibly Meggie earlier in the day), Abrynne (if she doesn't have to work), and Zotto. Who am I forgetting?

I'll email Ralphie this weekend too if she doesn't pop up on the board so she knows that she and Dan are invited too.

Slash?? Coming?? Ideas??

(For the weekend of the 26th, Laura and I want to get tickets to the Snider show that Slash mentioned, so if anyone hearabouts is doing that and wants to meet up for dessert or something, that would be great!)

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
No thanks. Have fun!
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

So, what time shall we meet and where?

(Edited to bump)

[ March 12, 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Agh!

Call me, Cecily! I've lost your number and every email it was in!

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.