FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game -- Round Twenty-One (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guess the Author Game -- Round Twenty-One
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Rounds One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, and Seventeen, Eighteen, and Nineteen, and Twenty

quote:
Emily lifted the cup to her lips and inhaled deeply, the steam bringing a quick flush to her cheeks and filling the world with rose hips and oranges.
She wrapped both crinkled hands around it and puckered her lips forward for a quick sip; the tea was still hot enough on her tongue that it had no
flavor beyond, maybe, the aroma and memory of taste, so with a disapproving cluck she carefully returned it to the saucer in her lap. Her eyes half-shut, she rolled her head in a wide circle, grimacing as her stiff neck popped and complained, then leaned back and pressed her feet lightly against the square of old carpet. The rocker creaked once before tottering into its old rhythm.

And stopped. Her eyes flew open. Her hands went to her mouth, and the service slipped unnoticed off her knees in a brief symphony of porcelain. Behind her, as she scrabbled blindly for her cane, the chair rocked madly for a while before coming to rest.

Something stirred in the darkness. Again.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The guess from list:

advice for robots . . . . . Human. . . . . . . . . .. . Pat
ae . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Icarus. . . . . . . . . . .. . Pixie
amira tharani . . . . . . . . .IndexCard . . . . . . . . porcelain girl
Amka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Irami. . . . . . . . . . . . .. pooka
Annie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .JaneX . . . . . . . . . . . . Ryuko
Avadaru. . . . . . . . . . . . . jeniwren. . . . . . . . .. . sarcastic muppet
Belle. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . Jon Boy. . . . . . . . . . . saxon75
Bob_Scopatz . . . . . . . . Kama. . . . . . . . . . . . ScottR
Caleb Varns . . . . . . . . . KarlEd . . . . . . . . . . . Shlomo
CalvinMaker . . . . . . . . . katharina. . . . . . . .. . Slash the Bezerker
Celia60 . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kayla . . . . . .. . . . . . . solo
Christy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . kwsni . . . . . . . . . .. . . sndrake
Dan_raven . . . . . . . .. . . Leonide . . . . . . . . . . Strider
Dante . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Leto II . . . . . . . . . . . . T_Smith
dkw . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . littlemissattitude. . . . Tammy
Dragon . . . . . . . .. . . . . . :Locke . . . . . . . . . . Teshi
^eleKtron . . . . . . . . . .. . . ludosti
enjeeo . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . Maethoriell . . . . . . The Tick
Ethics Gradient . . . . . . . mackillian. . . . . . . Tresopax
Feyd Baron . .. . . . . . . . . Mama Squirrel . . . .Troubadour
Flyby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Morbo.. . . . . . . . . . TomDavidson
Filleted. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nick . . . . . . . . . . . .twinky
Fugu13. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Noemon. . . . . . . . . Unmaker
Geoffrey Card . . . . . . . . Ophelia. . . . . . . . . . Vána
Hobbes . . . . . . . . . . .. . . Papa Moose . .. . . . zgator

[ September 09, 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The score:

Sarcasticmuppet: 41
Jeniwren: 34
Saxon75: 33
Ophelia: 29
Eslaine: 27 ˝
Deirdre: 25
Christy: 22
Advice for Robots: 20
Caleb: 16
Belle: 16
Mackillian: 15˝
Morbo: 15 ˝
Irami: 15
Annie: 13
Celia: 13
Teshi: 12
Fugu: 10
Rivka 9
Tom Davidson: 8 ˝
Twinky: 8
Nick: 7 ˝
BannaOJ: 6
Scott R: 6
T Smith: 5 ˝
Dan Raven 5 ˝
Jon Boy: 5
Human 4˝
esl: 4 ˝
Ethics Gradient: 4 ˝
Enjeeo: 4 ˝
Sopwith: 4
Sopwith: 4
Noemon 4
Leonide: 3 ˝
Fitz: 3
Ryuko 2 ˝
Beren One Hand: 2
Katharina: 2
Jaiden: 2
Blacwolve: 2
GreNME: 2
Kayla 1˝
Papa Moose: 1
Locke: 1
Filetted: 1
Kwsni: 1
Pooka: ˝
Punchdrunk: ˝

Five points for a correct guess with either rationale for the guess or a critique of the story
Two points for any guess with a critique
One point for any guess with a rationale

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. It sets a tranquil scene -- I could almost smell that tea. Then the mild discomfort; then BAM!

ScottR?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. Saxon's pretty close to me.

Wow. The end was really creepy. I thought she was dying or something. The voice doesn't strike me as male or female, but it sounds vaugely familiar.

Kat?

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, that's what comes of making lots of guesses.

I really like the structure of this piece. First you're wrapped in sensory description that seems as familiar as an old blanket, then it's all panicky emotion (except that it's not, really--it's an external description that still manages to bring the emotion in no uncertain terms), and finally the kind of darkness that makes you lean forward in your seat and want to know more.

Very well crafted.

Slash.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
smell that tea... oranges and rose... hips? The type of rose hips in the tea is rosehips. [Razz]

I loved the scene set here, and I love it when the main character is unexpected. Old, for instance.

I was also confused by the square of carpet, but that is only an imagination thing... Is it a little square of carpet, or a carpet that covers the whole floor, or a mat? When my mind went to imagine her feet it got thrown off by a little square of carpet in the middle of an uncarpeted floor. Is that what you meant?

Um... random guess...

Ryuko?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to all.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the fact that it's written from an older person's point of view makes me think it's a woman. Also, the snapshots of what's happening are very vivid, and I love some of the metaphors/similes/imagery used.

I'm going to guess... Annie

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

This author has a gift of capturing sounds. The woman clucks, her neck pops, the rocker creaks. And my favorite, the "brief symphony of porcelain."

jeniwren?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The story has a very feminine feel to it. The violence at the end, if it was violence, is implied, not graphically detailed. The tea, the china, the sound and textures are all done well, with a strong feminine, and possibly European flair.

Amka?

For critique, I'd do the emphasis on the second paragraph slightly different:

quote:
And stopped.

Her eyes flew open. Her hands went to her mouth, as the service slipped unnoticed off her knees in a brief symphony of porcelain.

This last sentence, I don't know if you mean that her chair rocked madly behind her, or if the behind her was a mistaken connection to the last paragraph. Its a bit choppy.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I don't know, I think it's clear that the chair is what is 'Behind her'.. However, there are a few instances where the author uses commas in excess, a crime I am admittedly guilty of...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The author spelled porcelain right. So I'm guessing porce. [Smile]

This author is more daring than I am...it would break my heart just to imagine losing an entire tea service. I love tea.

So I like this excerpt. I'm not sure I like the word "crinkle" to describe the skin of old hands, since old skin is still soft, just wrinkled. Crinkle is a sound, not really a texture. I love the way the tea is described, in that it was too hot to have a real flavor. I really got that, and liked it. OTOH, I like minty teas, so orange and rosehips doesn't appeal.

I did have some trouble visualizing the second paragraph. Did she fall out of her chair? Or just stop rocking? Or was she attacked? I got kind of lost there. But that could just be me and insomnia.

I'm sticking with porce, not so much because I really think she wrote it, but because it had her name spelled correctly in the exerpt.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this, it was a strong and evocative piece that nestles you in to a character who is aching and relaxing, things are close to, but not quite, right in their world. And then, wiggity wiggity something happens. It's not exactly something jumping out and going BOO! but it's got the same effect. A successful piece, I think.

It does remind me of the scene in Stephen King's "A Perfect Storm" where the old lady is watching TV and sipping tea right before the fateful knock at the door.

It's a female writer, but my guess is going to have to be just that, a guess. I'll go with Ophelia .

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* What happened to my points?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Tiger points are kind of like leprechaun gold, they don’t roll over into the next thread.

You can get real points by providing a critique of the story excerpt, and a guess as to who the author is!

No to everyone so far.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The mystery author seems to have an affinity for commas and near-run-on sentences. I would rewrite the middle portion as follows:

She wrapped both crinkled hands around it and puckered her lips forward for a quick sip; the tea was still hot enough on her tongue that it had no flavor beyond – maybe the aroma and memory of taste – so with a disapproving cluck she carefully returned it to the saucer in her lap. Her eyes half-shut, she rolled her head in a wide circle, grimacing as her stiff neck popped and complained. Then she leaned back and pressed her feet lightly against the square of old carpet. The rocker creaked once before tottering into its old rhythm.

The original sentences, with their excesses of commas, disrupted the flow of the piece, IMO. [Wink]

Based on that, I guess AndrewR.

[ September 09, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Crinkled" leapt out at me as a poor choice choice of words, and reading it I thought "okay, this is probably going to be a pretty amaturish piece". I was very plesantly surprised with the rest of the fragment.

The imagery used to describe the tea, "the tea was still hot enough on her tongue that it had no
flavor beyond, maybe, the aroma and memory of taste", is absolutely beautiful, and completely apt. Very well done.

I disagree completely with twink about the use of commas in this bit, by the way; I didn't find them distracting in the least. Then again, I tend to use commas that way myself, so maybe it's just a question of taste or style. I do have to say that his use of hyphens is wrong though; in order for something like that to work, the material outside the hyphens has to form a complete unit in and of itself; the material within the hyphen just provides extra information. The sentence "The tea was still hot enough on her tongue that it had no flavor beyond so with a disapproving cluck she carefully returned it to the saucer in her lap."--twink's sentence with the material within the hyphens removed--just doesn't work. Beyond what?

Anyway, back to the fragment.

The one other thing that pulled me out of the story was the use of the phrase "puckered her lips forward". I don't really have a good suggestion for an alternate way to phrase that, but I'll think about it. I know exactly the movement you're describing, so you conveyed that well, but somehow the word "pucker" just stopped me cold for a second.

I have less of an idea of whose work this might be than any of the other pieces I've guessed on, but since I've been wrong in 100% of my guesses, I'm not about to let that stop me.

My guess: celia

I could see celia writing this, and I could *definitely* see her offing this sweet old lady, being evil and all.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Interestingly, the first paragraph evokes each of the senses except sight. Discovering that the woman is blind does not come as a big surprise.

Might make finding the thing stirring in the darkness more of a challenge, though. [Wink]

mackillian?

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that sounds all too fair. [Cry] I want my tiger points back! [Cry]

Actually I never guess on these because I just know that I'm going to guess so off base that I'll either be laughed at or be the target of rotten fruit. [No No]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I will protect you from the rotten fruit, if you'd like to guess.

And anyway, your guesses couldn't possibly be funnier than what other people have come up with. [Laugh] at the entire last round.

No to everyone so far.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

OK, since dkw thinks all our guesses are funny, I'm going to guess someone who I think is completely unlikely to write this...

Feyd Baron.

dkw
Member # 3264

Note: I wasn’t talking specifically about guesses on this thread.

No.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hmmm...has anyone guessed Kayla yet? I haven't seen any examples of her fiction, that I can think of, but for the same reasons I mentioned in my last post, I could see her writing this one.

So, Kayla?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably have started with the last line first, for a grabber. But then, I do not write suspense. I was rather distracted by the discovery that our protagonist was, I assume, blind, and that kept any real suspense from that final line. I might also have worded it: "Something was stirring in the darkness. Again." to provide immediacy.

We'll try ae. [Smile]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I could believe that this was ae. Good guess.

See, I completely missed the fact that she was blind. It seems relatively obvious now, but I completely failed to spot it before.

[ September 09, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Thanks, Noemon. With the misdirection that has occured in the past in these games, It's really just a matter of guessing off of the list! I don't think Slash, for instance, would write with his protagonist sniffing the bouquet of her tea, but that would be a good reason for even him to do it.

( [Hail] Slash!)

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo hoo, I was guessed!
Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, was it ae?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

or Kayla?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Or Noemon?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong guesses:
ScottR
Kat
Slash
Ryuko
Annie
jeniwren
Amka
Ophelia
AndrewR
celia
mackillian
Feyd Baron

Guessed but so far unconfirmed:
Kayla
ae
Noemon

Okay, I agree that the woman is blind, but I'm not sure if the "Something <that> stirred in the darkness" was just a result of her blindness or something more sinister. To me, it seemed a little ambiguous. Maybe the author should try to clear that up a little bit.

JaneX?

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to all.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

How about Irami? Irami's got shifty eyes.

[ September 09, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I don't think she's blind, per se... sighted folks still try to grab stuff without looking at it...
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge, Irami is not female.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Dangit.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Ryuko's right. She just scrabbled blindly for the cane. It was a supposition that it was a blind cane, but she could just be old, or perhaps lame (like my last guess). Crinkled hands? Chris Chrinkled?

Oh, well, how about another guess: Maethoriell?

dkw
Member # 3264

No and no.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

what about littlemissattitude?
rivka
Member # 4859

Speaking of shifty eyes . . . how about celia?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nope, she was my first guess.
dkw
Member # 3264

No to all.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
This is tough. Everyone i would have surmised has been guessed already.

I really, really loved this piece with the exception of the word "crinkled," to echo those who said it sounded out-of-place. care-worn or some other word depicting age without making it seem like her hand's gonna fall off would have been preferable.

I adored the steam bringing a flush to her cheeks, and absolutely LOVED the tea being too hot to have a flavor. That's so true. As a sometime tea-drinker, daughter of a tea-addict [Smile] that's exactly, EXACTLY what its like. It's just like...hot water, really, until it's cooled a bit.

A feminine feel, descriptive, caring towards the elderly...mentions of flowers and tea...if she was on the list, i'd guess Jenny Gardner.

dkw, is this yours?

edit: oh, another thought i had re-reading the excerpt...this passage
quote:
Her hands went to her mouth, and the service slipped unnoticed off her knees in a brief symphony of porcelain
seems off to me.

I know exactly what you're trying to say, but it seems like there's something amiss. The china didn't slip off in a symphony of porcelain, it slipped off, and then created a symphony of porcelain. One, then the other. The way you have it, it sounds like the symphony is created on the fall down, which i don't believe is what you intended? I could be wrong.

[ September 10, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

'Tis not mine. Tea tastes like water with weeds soaked in it to me no matter what the temperature.

<---blind to the subtleties of tea. Also deaf. And probably dumb.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't really have anything new in terms of critique or telling details that reveal the author, but reading over it again, I could imagine that Caleb might have written this.

So, Caleb?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hmmm...I just noticed that TomD hasn't been guessed yet, and I remember that in a recent round of this game he was complaining that his work hadn't been "up" yet.

So, even before my Caleb guess can be shot down, I'm making another: It's Tom, in the coatroom, with a lead pipe.

dkw
Member # 3264

I don't know about the lead pipe or the coatroom, but it is Tom.

Round Twenty-Two

[ November 13, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Ha! I got one! I got one! Wheeee!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.