FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pay $50K or Toby the rabbit becomes a midsummer feast

Author Topic: Pay $50K or Toby the rabbit becomes a midsummer feast
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, on June 30th, 2005, Toby will die. I am going to eat him. I am going to take Toby to a butcher to have him slaughter this cute bunny. I will then prepare Toby for a midsummer feast. I have several recipes under consideration, which can be seen, with some pretty graphic images, under the recipe section.
I was wondering what you would think of this.. It's a, um, interesting way to raise money...? Honestly, Part of me thinks the guy's brilliant-- he's already raised $19K-- and yet another part of me thinks that this person must be very very disturbed...

--j_k

[ March 20, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a horrible way to make money! He's just playing on everyone else's sympathy toward cute, furry animals. This is ten times worse than selling ghosts on Ebay.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

It smells like a hoax-- there's another site called < http://www.savetobyandbree.com/ > where a person makes a similar statement, saying that he will convert two rabbits into earmuffs.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a hoax
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Yeah, I guess I should have checked Snopes first.

Ah, the wonders of the internet.

--j_k

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have rabbit fur earmuffs. And a hat, too. So I don't think I'll be paying to enrich some creep. Regardless of the fact that if it works once, it's going to happen again and again, with jerks finding pictures of cute animals they've never even met on the internet and bilking suckers out of their cash.

Now, I'm mostly of the belief that if you fall for something like that you don't really deserve your money anyway. But that doesn't stop me from despising the type of low-life that would run this sort of con.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh to anyone who's own inclination is to save the bunny. I just have to go for "good of the many" versus "good of the one" here, and if you really want to help mistreated animals think of how much better that $50G could be put to use by the humane society.

Edit: And I'm too slow as well as too gullible. Ah well. [Smile]

[ March 20, 2005, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I posted this in the "I wish I was rich" thread. Or whatever its name was.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Heh. Something of note: we first found out about the site when The Washington Post printed an article on it.

--j_k

Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw! That rabbit is so CUTE! Especially when he has a tiny little shirt.
So cute...

Still, it seems like shelters do that. They go, "If you don't adopt this bunny and love him we will kill him."
It works. I totally wish I could take all those rabbits in, but my landlady might not like that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Syn, did you see this link for taking care of rabbits? It was in the Snopes page.

http://www.rabbit.org/

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit Redux [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
1 rabbit doesn't seem like much of a "feast" to me.

Maybe a midsummer appetizer?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. That rabbit looks kinda like a wise guy and a communist to me. Might have it comin'.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's a great page. Read a ton of their articles, very informative stuff, like most rabbit pellets are not good for rabbits and cause their digestive systems to stop from being clogged which is a very bad thing.
Rabbits need fiber and water constantly to keep their systems in motion.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
what's wrong with eatin' rabbits?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can't bring myself to eat them. A. they are too cute, B. It's like eating a cat or a rat or dog or something.
I don't know why there are some animals that I don't mind eating like chickens and pigs and others I feel bad about eating
I should become a vegetarian, but I really do like meat too much.
What a dillemma.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.