FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fundraising ideas?

Author Topic: Fundraising ideas?
Jen
Member # 6585

- posted      Profile for Jen   Email Jen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so let me introduce myself real quickly. I'm Jen and I've lurked for quite some time. You guys are really great. And that's enough of that.

Anywho. I'm starting a Make-A-Wish club at my university. For anyone who doesn't know what they do, we are a non-profit organization who raise money to fund wishes for children diagnosed with terminally ill diseases. Anything they ask for as a dying wish kinda thing, they try to organize for the kids and pay for everything. I was the president of my high school chapter for three years, so I'm kinda good at the fundraising stuff, but...alas, I've run out of ideas. If anyone can think of something to help, please post it! Weird and creatively strange ideas are my forte, so anything you guys think of would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help [Smile]

Jen

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

You're probably bored of bake sales and car washes, so those are out. However, it sounds like you're now in a different community than you were before, so you could repeat some of your more successful fundraisers...

I'll keep thinking about it.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Topless carwash.

You don't wash the tops of the cars. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Our group used to do clean up after basketball games at the U. We'd also sell booklets before football games. If your university has any sports programs usually there are ways to get money through them. Getting some cash for selling concessions and so on.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen
Member # 6585

Thanks so much, guys, for the help. Actually, it's much harder to find applicable fundraisers for a university of over 40,000 students than it is for the small high school I was used to. Selling something at a sporting event is a good idea, but they wouldn't let us sell food of any kind..it would take away from their profits. I was thinking of an art show or maybe a charity silent auction. This is hard. It's good to have your ideas.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
About two years ago I asked everyone to send cards to little Zack, a coworkers young son who developed cancer.

After years of treatments and hospitals, he is doing much better--almost considered officially cured.

This week, he is getting is Wish Made in Disney---Thanks to folks like Jen.

In response, the wackiest fund raiser I have ever seen. It requires you being on relatively good terms with people in a well of neighborhood.

Buy 100 Cheap Plastic Pink Flamingo's.

One night, put them in the front lawn of one of your neighbors.

Include the following Note:

quote:
Dear Neighbor.

I know these Pink Flamingo's are ugly and are ruining the asthetic of your lawn. Feel free to throw them away.

Or if you prefer, for a $25 donation to the (organization name) we will happilly come right over and remove them for you, plus you will be doing donating to a worthy cause.

For $50 we will not only remove them, we will put them in the yard of any person you choose--who is not on our immunity list.

For $100 we will not only removem, and put them in the yard of any person you choose who is not on our immunity list, we will happilly add you to that immunity list.

Our stork removal service can be reached by calling---555-5555.

Thanks and have a good day.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
They did that in a town I lived it and it worked wonderfully. It was actually aimed at businesses, which produced even more money.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a "Chocolate Day"- like a bake sale, only better. Auction off cheesecakes, tortes, truffles, etc. YUm.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Duck race: Sell numbered plastic ducks. Set all the ducks afloat in a race on a river. The person who bought the duck that wins the race gets a prize.

Rent a radar gun and measure how fast people can throw a baseball or kick a soccer ball. Charge $1 per try and give a prize to the fastest individual.

Ask local artists to donate some art and have an auction.

Here's a whole site filled with free fundraising ideas. (do-it-yourself-fundraising) (No company to buy products from.)

http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/DIY/index.html

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh when I said sell food at a sporting event I meant at the official stands. In Omaha many of the stands at the baseball games are actually organizations getting paid to serve. Basically the stand get the concession profits while the group gets paid some net amount to man the booths. I imagine that some places hire people to do this but you should check to see if any local stadiums have this in practice.

What campus are you at? Usually you can find this type of information out from your student governement. At my school they had large notebooks of ideas of ways for people to get money for their groups.

Usually the best way is to get in on already organized things. It requires a ton less work for the leaders and it can add up to more money than some things.

Also, things like silent auctions can work well if you can get attendance and if you can get people to donate things.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you located?

Our company hires strong, fun, Non-For-Profit groups to man many of our events. Your organization earns several hundred dollars (or more if its a large group) for a couple of days work putting together someone else's picnic.

You get paid to help party.

Its a silly job, but someone has to do it.

If you are interested, send me an e-mail, and I'll pass you over to Gary, or group facilitator.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen
Member # 6585

Dan,

That is absolutely hysterical, but with my luck we'd probably get charged with harrassment or something! heh. About the little boy, I'm so happy to hear that. So many of the kids that get their wishes end up being just fine, and I can't help but think Make-A-Wish has some influence in that. I will definitely be e-mailing you, thank you.

Kayla,

That link is going to be soo helpful, thanks a lot.

I'm at the University of Central Florida, in Orlando. I can't thank you all enough for helping me out. I'm getting really excited about the new possibilities.

Jen

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.